Poll

Who would win?

Admiral Bosch and the Neo-Terran Front
31 (50%)
Admiral Thrawn and the Galactic Empire
31 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: March 08, 2003, 01:20:24 am

Author Topic: Thrawn VS. Bosch  (Read 13000 times)

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot

*smacks head on table repeatedly*

:shaking:

GAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sandwich, I think your ":wtf:" smilies screwed my brain over yesterday  :blah:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by RKIF-DragonClaw

*smacks head on table repeatedly*

:shaking:

GAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sandwich, I think your ":wtf:" smilies screwed my brain over yesterday  :blah:

Eh? :wtf: are you talking about??:devil: :drevil:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
bosch would win, because every time thrawn would try to kill him, bosch would just wake up.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Bosch is like Captain Picard. No matter the cost, or how he looks first contact and communicating with the enemy or unknown takes priority even over the lives of a great many.

For this reason alone i think he wld win, even if it meant driving the Iceni through the hull of an oppsoing enemy and ordering all if any of his ships to do the same.

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Ummm not the best reference there buddy,...Picard,..and all ST Captains forthat matter,...tend to shy against killing off there entire crew just to say "Hi" to some unknown species.
Warlock

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
That and it would still be no match for Thrawn's fleet. :D

We are the Chiss. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. Resistance is futile.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Cannikin

Don't even get me started on the utter crap of "turbolaser power." Gigatons my ass.

I absolutely hate so called Star Wars "physics" (especially EU books and stuff who obviously have no idea what the **** they're talking about, and pull values straight out of their asses and stick them in, such as weapon power) which make NO SENSE and are utter bull****. This applies to most sci-fi but Star Wars is one of the worst offenders.

Sorry, I just get so pissed off whenever I get reminded of the utter laughability of Star Wars "physics." :mad2: :mad:

Taken from cannon sources in ESB it has been deduced that turbolasers have powers in the gigaton range.  I can link you to stardestroyer.net or the technical commentairies by Dr. Saxton.

If you bother TO READ THE DAMNED WEBSITES you will see the obvious evidence to what I previously stated.  

And if you're a cannon purist then you can continue to live in your litte world.  The EU is official and is part of Star Wars.  BTW, Dr. Saxton made extensive calculations in the Technical Commentaries and then applied them in the EPII ICS, which he wrote.  So its not "pulled out of his ass" as you might say.  Its fact.

Here's the link to stardestroyer.net  I recommend you read the turbolaser commentaries section and the technology section under "I want you for the Galactic Empire!"

http://www.stardestroyer.net/toc.html

And here's the link to Dr. Saxton's site

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 05:19:54 pm by 217 »
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by Sandwich

Not really, no. They were good, but not quite as incredible as the trilogy. :) Main negative point? No Thrawn. :D

oki... never got around reading those books anyway... somehow
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht

Dude, chill. No need for the mad smilies or swearing. He was ranting, and now so are you. Take it easy.

And besides, 'canon' means A) the movies B) the books and C) the radio dramatizations. That's the definition of 'canon' as applied to Star Wars. We are all aware of the SWTC page, but it must be taken with a grain of salt.

Remember, it's all imaginary. :nervous:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht

Taken from cannon sources in ESB it has been deduced that turbolasers have powers in the gigaton range.  I can link you to stardestroyer.net or the technical commentairies by Dr. Saxton.

If you bother TO READ THE DAMNED WEBSITES you will see the obvious evidence to what I previously stated.  

And if you're a cannon purist then you can continue to live in your litte world.  The EU is official and is part of Star Wars.  BTW, Dr. Saxton made extensive calculations in the Technical Commentaries and then applied them in the EPII ICS, which he wrote.  So its not "pulled out of his ass" as you might say.  Its fact.

Wow, you must be reading something other than me. Apparently the ESB reference you're refering to is the "asteroid vaporization" example right? Well, Dr. Saxton puts down calculations which seem seem to be within the kiloton range unless my arithmetic is wrong.

The section that refers to the "gigaton" range apparently is under the section labeled "Novel Evidence" and refers to novels who put down stuff like "turning a planet to molten slag" which I seem not to recall from the movies. Somehow I doubt that the novelists did extensive calculations to come up with that.

So, let's see, the famous "durasteel" that seems to protect Star Destroyers so easily against hundred-gigaton blasts against it. Yet Qui-gon seems to be able to stick his lightsaber in it and melt through durasteel blast doors in an instant. So I assume that means he's injecting hundreds of teratons worth of energy per second right? He must be using the patented Exponentially Greater Than 100% Mass to Energy Efficiency Reactor(tm) in his lightsaber, which, must I remind you from your precious EU, is made up of parts you can by out of a local hardware shack and a crystal made in an Easy-Bake-Oven.

Oh and the famous all-powerful lasers when used against Yuuzhan Vong ships (also from EU) seem to only make little molten pecks in the flying turds. And the big hunks of plasma rock that the Vong chuck back (which can only possibly contain a few hundred terajoules, some hundred kilotons worth of thermal energy) seem to eat through shields (which are supposed to absorb hundreds of teratons) and the vaunted armor plating with ease.

And since when has EU been canon? I seem to remember about a dozen or so novels' stories being shot down at the slightest whim of George Lucas when the last two movies came out.

And finally let me show you some things:

See those? Now, the top picture is Baker, a puny and primative 20 kiloton nuke, but was enough to raise a column of water 2000ft in diameter and 6000ft (1.13 miles) high containing over 250 million gallons of water.

The Cannikin test (5MT), which I can't get a decent image of, was detonated a mile underground and caused a shockwave that registered 6.8 on the Richter Scale.

Now the second image, that's slightly more than 10 megatons, which was more than enough to vaporize the entire island, leaving a hole 1.2 miles in diameter as well as deep fry all marine life within dozens of miles, and create a core temperature that can reach well over 100 million C, 6-7 times hotter than the CORE of the Sun, which will turn any material in the universe into disociated atoms, no matter what kind of BS "durasteel" you can make up.

A 20MT nuke can release so much energy that mere exposure to the LIGHT (which is a by-product of the fireball heating air molecules hundreds of millions of degrees and releasing some of  the subsequent energy of it as visible light) for a fraction of a second will cause a 3rd degree burn 40km from the fireball itself.

Now, 200 gigatons is 10,000 times more than that... No wait, you said that turbolasers are far more powerful than 200 gigatons, so lets say 800 gigatons. 40,000 of those.

In other words...

New Republic battling the Empire for control of Coruscant: "Oops, we shot off ONE stray turbolaser. We just utterly annihilated an area the size of Alaska (yes, I know they wouldn't know what Alaska is), and caused a very severe nuclear winter scenario that will render the planet uninhabitable for thousands of years. Sorry!"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 09:15:57 am by 783 »

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Ummm
Its a movie guys.

It's called science ficton

it is not real

relax.
Warlock

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
If you guys want, I can pick apart Freespace physics too.

It's not as if I condone FS 500MT nukes barely scratching destroyers as well. :p

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Actually, Helios are around 6 GT... :D
Probably away. Contact through email.

Originally posted by Cannikin

In other words...

New Republic battling the Empire for control of Coruscant: "Oops, we shot off ONE stray turbolaser. We just utterly annihilated an area the size of Alaska (yes, I know they wouldn't know what Alaska is), and caused a very severe nuclear winter scenario that will render the planet uninhabitable for thousands of years. Sorry!"

Thats why Courssucant and almost every other planet has something called planetary shielding , it prevents such a disaster.  And starships with massive 200 GT weapons have something called sensors and targeting systems.  They prevent any stray shots from ever hitting planet in the first place.

And who ever said the insides of the Trader Federation freighter were made of Durasteel?  Only the outer hull is made of it.

And we clearly see an example of SW capship acceleration when the Imperial Fleet comes out of hiding from behind the far side of Endor and cuts off the rebel fleet.  This flet, made entirely of Star Destroyers, came so fast that rebel ships only detected them once they had already been cut off.  And don't say that the fleet hyperspaced there cause the DS had gravity wells online and the mass shadow of Endor would prevent the fleet from jumping from once side of the moon to the other and the Emperor clearly states that the fleet went to the far side of the Endor.  It takes a hell of alot of acceleration to wrap around a huge moon in less than ten seconds!:ha:
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Originally posted by Warlock
Ummm
Its a movie guys.

it is not real

relax.

Besides dude you just ruined your whole arguement ... planetary shields = plus ,...Planet based Turbolasers = ruined the arguement.

But agian ....jsut to make sure

Originally posted by Warlock
Ummm
Its a movie guys.

it is not real

relax.

:D
Warlock

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
hehe, nukes are awesome.

i'm sorry, what were we talking about again?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
And this is why I said the Technical Commentaries ruin Star Wars. I'm pretty sure I said it'd ruin it..

ooopp yep

Originally posted by Knight Templar
Yeah that whole section of theforce.net is about people with too much time.  

It kinda ruins star wars in how they try to rationalize it so much :doubt:

Told ya so.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bri_Dog

To those argueing the affects of a 200GT turbolaser blast:

The force of the weapon does not act like a bomb, it channels it's energy into one point. So the example of hitting Curscant with a stray shot and wiping out part of the city the size of Alaska is wrong :)
Sig

Offline Fetty

nah it just would bury into the earths core causing lava to vent and then whipe out alaska :D