Author Topic: test for new pilot file changes  (Read 7486 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
test for new pilot file changes
WARNING: This build could permanently mess up your pilots!  Save them before using this build!  If you lose anything it's your fault for not having a backup!

BEFORE using this build run your current version and note the stats in the barracks for each pilot.  Play the next mission in your current campaign and note the mission played and your weapon loadout.

AFTER you install and run the new build go back to the barracks and make sure that the stats are still the same.  Try the next campaign mission again and make sure that is the same mission and the weapon loadout and ship selection are the same as the pervious build.

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20040802-win32.zip

This build contains the new pilot and campaign savefile formats.  Single player pilots will now have the .pl2 extension and campaign savefiles will be merged from the current two (.csg, .css) into one .cs2.  Multi pilots will still be the old .plr format but contain fixes to handle ship and weapon table changes.

The new campaign savefiles will contain all information that pertains to a campaign including: weapon loadout, available ships/weapons, current mainhall, red-alert status, stats, techroom data, which cutscenes are viewable.  The new formats will be able to handle changes to the ship and weapon tables without corrupting the pilot file or campaign savefile.  Current files will be upgraded automatically when they are first read and the old files will be deleted.

Pilot files will only be read out of the game directory now (ie. c:\games\freespace2\data\players).  If you have pilots in you mod directories you will need to move them into the directory of choice (single or multi).  You must also move your campaign savefiles.  Please note any files that would have the same filename, it does not handle this well and will only be able to upgrade the current campaign that's specified in the pilot file.  If you have multiple pilots with the same filename you will have to upgrade each set individually to avoid losing any information.

You will now be able to use one pilot for multiple campaigns.  The campaign room will now allow you to switch between campaigns without having them reset.  This way you can be playing one campaign, try out another one, and come back to where you left off.

Please report any problems since this will probably be the last public test before these changes enter CVS and appear in all future builds.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks good. I'll try this out tonight.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I did try it out that night but it was only today that it got the really heavy testing. I threw the build at about five different mods and even at a Sol A History (Which I ran by mod stacking it with Inferno rather than simply putting it in the inferno folder).

Couldn't get it to fall over or display an abherent behaviour.

I didn't test multiplayer at all however. So someone might want to take a stab at that.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Support ships dont work. They wont give me my ammo! My sweet, sweet ammo!!

That, and any pilot thats played with this build wont show up with any older build. The memory leak appears to be gone since I just spent the last few hours playing through the campaign till the mission koth dies and it works ok (albiet a bit slow)

but please fix the support ship problem! I was lucky to slay the Ravana - imagine de-beaming the Sath!!!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Singh
Primary or secondary?  If it's primary, you didn't set up the ballistic weapon entry properly... double-check your table.
That, and any pilot thats played with this build wont show up with any older build.
It's a one-way upgrade.  Older builds won't recognize the new pilots.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

I just posted this error in PhReAk's Orb radar build.  I also entered it in Mantis.  I haven't played this build, but I've encountered it in one other, which I can't recall ATM.  This is probably something that's in CVS if both PhReAk and Taylor have the same error in their new builds.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Goober5000
Primary or secondary?  If it's primary, you didn't set up the ballistic weapon entry properly... double-check your table.It's a one-way upgrade.  Older builds won't recognize the new pilots.

Secondaries - I was playing through the Vanilla FS2 campaign with the original .tbls, but the support ships still refuse to give me missiles!

Must be budget cuts I think. How does command expect us guys to survive the shivans escapes my grasp :( ;) :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Nevermind. Sorry. Stupid question.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
If it messes up my pilot, why do you release it?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by TopAce
If it messes up my pilot, why do you release it?

Cause it doesn't mess up your pilot. It MAY mess up your pilot but probably won't. Taylor is just covering his back so that people don't come whining to him if it does.

I tried it myself and it seems to work perfectly. Besides if you follow the instructions he gave and backed up before trying it then you can always restore your old pilot should something nasty happen.

Offline Kosh

Secondaries - I was playing through the Vanilla FS2 campaign with the original .tbls, but the support ships still refuse to give me missiles!

Must be budget cuts I think. How does command expect us guys to survive the shivans escapes my grasp :( ;) :p

I had that exact same problem.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Hey, Taylor, does this include the autnonav code from Kazan's 7/29 and 8/01 builds?
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Moonsword
Hey, Taylor, does this include the autnonav code from Kazan's 7/29 and 8/01 builds?

It should have the same thing as 7/29 (assuming all of that was in CVS) but 8/01 got missed I think.  Could be in there though so if you try and it doesn't work then you'll know for sure.

No one seems to be having any issues with this new pilot code and RL is starting to calm down enough for me to get back to SCP coding so I'll probably commit it this weekend.  Now is the time for everyone to do any last minute bug testing if you've been waiting.

Offline Kosh

No one seems to be having any issues with this new pilot code

Uh, support ships not working is a serious issue. That makes some missions like Bearbaiting impossible.

Brain I/O error

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Kosh
Uh, support ships not working is a serious issue. That makes some missions like Bearbaiting impossible.

That's unrelated to the new pilot code though.  Finding and fixing the support ship problem is on my list of things to do this weekend unless someone else gets it fixed first.

Offline Kosh

I'm not sure how the support ship thing is unrelated since it only happened with your new build. Please forgive my ignorance/stupidity.

Brain I/O error

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Maybe Taylor made other code changes in this build in addition to the pilot file ones and they are the cause. Or someone added something to CVS that hadn't been properly tested.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Kosh
I'm not sure how the support ship thing is unrelated since it only happened with your new build. Please forgive my ignorance/stupidity.

It's shown up in at least one other build that doesn't have the pilot file changes.  Refer to posts earlier in this thread.  The new pilot code doesn't make any changes that should effect the way ships or weapons operate.  Plus, support ships reload fine for me but I'm still looking for where the problem is hiding.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As I said, its not just this build.  I had this problem with PhReAk's Orb Radar build, and at least one other.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kosh

Strange, I had never had this problem until now. I understand now.

Brain I/O error