Author Topic: HTL Zeus  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well not really. I just added a couple of details here and there. I do think it's an improvement over the original zeus (altho not a large one, I admit), but what do you guys think?

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
looks nice, if a little boxy. Those polys ought to be used to make it more sleek than anything else I think......
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Look's okay, but the Zeus's bomb bays don't go that far in.  Also, there's really no reason to add a lot of detail to the engines as they will never be seen except in very rare situations.  Try adding some of the surface features such a vents and the slight variations in size around the bomb bays.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It looks kinda...thin somehow.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The Zeus is definitely among the few fighters which have no need for a poly-increase.
It looks good, by the way, but I doubt you would notice the changes right in the middle of a dogfight unless you get close to it. Why do you guys make the engines so detailed? You cannot see those holes, there is the engine glow there. Even if you disable it, you would not bother how it looks like since you want to make the Zeus equal to space debris. I definitely like the cockpit part, just to say something positive.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TopAce
The Zeus is definitely among the few fighters which have no need for a poly-increase.
It looks good, by the way, but I doubt you would notice the changes right in the middle of a dogfight unless you get close to it. Why do you guys make the engines so detailed? You cannot see those holes, there is the engine glow there. Even if you disable it, you would not bother how it looks like since you want to make the Zeus equal to space debris. I definitely like the cockpit part, just to say something positive.

a) hopefully the shadowing system - combined with the shading we already have - will make the details very important

b) Engines are usually very detailed because that is the one area which you are likely to see on a ship - i.e. either attacking it, or viewing it in chase mode.  So that area is often indented for artistic purposes - i.e. to make it look like there is a proper engine exhaust there.   Albeit, I normally would not indent it that far - just about 5-10 units (in max...i.e. not much, obviously relative to scale, so not a great example), then use textures to add the rest.

The Zeus, though, is one of the best looking FS ships IMO.  It'll be hard to improve on it - Terran ships are a lot more immune to low poly problems, as a lot are boxy anyways.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I still haven't played with any builds with this so-called shadowing. :thepimp:

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Get one from the shadow stencil thread.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TopAce
I still haven't played with any builds with this so-called shadowing. :thepimp:

Even just with shading, rather than shadowing, it has a surprisingly large impact.   Especially if combined with glow & spec mapping..... it is actually getting closer to the stage when all details can be modelled rather than simply mapped.  

In fact, it's getting the right balance of that which is difficult.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Raa
Get one from the shadow stencil thread.

I think I know I can get one from there. I simply did not bother downloading any of them. :D Time to do so? Time to do so. Time do so!

Originally posted by aldo_14

Even just with shading, rather than shadowing, it has a surprisingly large impact.   Especially if combined with glow & spec mapping..... it is actually getting closer to the stage when all details can be modelled rather than simply mapped.  

In fact, it's getting the right balance of that which is difficult.

I believe to you, OK.