Author Topic: A bug I'm not sure if it's related with SCP...  (Read 2111 times)

A bug I'm not sure if it's related with SCP...
Hey, I've got my hands on a bug that I'm not sure if's caused by the SCP... I'll explain everything the best I can:
A few days ago, I was looking around my collection of "oldies" and I found FS2. I've loved the game when I first tried it out, years ago... Anyway, I installed it and went to the Official Campaign to get the grips before coming to the Forums to check out the Mods. Unfortunately, my PC didn't liked FS2 very much because, for some reason, it didn't recognized Afterburners. How many times did I press the Tab to get enemy fighters out of my back... I tried un-installing and re-installing it a half-dozen times, but still nothing changed. An old friend of mine, addicted to FS2 :) , told me that he would pass by my place with the SCP. So he did it, we installed it and, much to my enjoyment, the Afterburners were back online. I, at the time, restarted the campaign. The first mission was nothing, the second however... All went well untill the time came to Jump. I pressed Alt-J and nothing... I restarted the mission and tried Jumping at the beggining but zilch. I've tried un-install and re-install of both the FS2 and SCP but nothing changed. I've searched this forum, just in case somebody else had this problem but I found none, so I've posted this here.
My point with all this is that I just need somebody tell me if it's caused by the SCP or FS2, because if it's SCP related, then I'll wander around for a while (a year or two :lol: ), looking for builds and the like...
My system's info:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8E
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 (with the latest drivers Geforce TNT 61.77)
Creative Soundblaster Extigy
Microsoft Sidewinder 2.0
Windows XP, SP1
DirectX 9.0c

It's not impossible to finish the Official Campaign without Afterburners, just not as much fun :devil: . Without being able to "complete" the missions however...
MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT OPERATIONS:
4. You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
7. Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
12. If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
13. The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
20. The easy way is always mined.
21. Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
24. If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
76. A Purple Heart just proves that you were smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
79. The bursting radius of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping range.  
81. The crucial round is a dud.
84. Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer to do anything.
89. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.

For a complete list of Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops -> http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's a known bug with Windows XP.  On the shortcut for the executable, switch it to 98/ME compatibility mode.  FSO should have this fixed (someone just dropped by and gave the coders the cause of the error) but I'm not sure it got committed to the main builds.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The jumpout bug is a known bug with 3.6. It does actually warn about this in the 3.6 thread. Anyway just go to the latest builds thread, download the most recent build by Taylor and try that out instead of 3.6. (You should back up your pilot file before running it though)

BTW Someone should just compile a version of 3.6 with the bug fixed if that's possible. We'll be seeing this bug till 3.7 otherwise. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I've tried that already StratComm but nothing. My fault actually, since there are two things I forgot to tell:
First, everytime I try to Jump, the following msg appears "Engine Failure. Cannot engage warp drive."
Second, lauching FS2, with SCP installed, the following notes appear:
Error: Error parsing 'weapons.tbl'
Error code = 2.

File:C:\projects\freespace2\code\Weapons\Weapons.cpp
Line: 1432

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: Error parsing 'ships.tbl'
Error code = 1.

File:C:\projects\freespace2\code\Ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 1709

Call stack:

Error: Error parsing 'ships.tbl'
Error code = 1.

File:C:\projects\freespace2\code\Ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 1709

Call stack:

After these two, if I try to initiate Campaign, it tells me that It's out of Memory... Which is kind-of hard...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 04:05:03 am by 716 »
7. Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
76. A Purple Heart just proves that you were smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
79. The bursting radius of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping range.  
84. Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer to do anything.
89. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.

For a complete list of Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops -> http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html

I did what you said karajorma and everything's working fine now, including the debriefs :D , thanks a million guys...
Though there is now another bug: whenever I exit the game, it crashes and I've got to Ctrl-Alt-Del to close the game and it tells me that it can't read the flag file (???)...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Once you've installed the FS2_Open media.vp files you won't be able to run FS2 Retail because the tables in the media.vp are loaded first and contain features FS2 can't deal with. That's perfectly normal. We'd all get that if we tried to run FS2 retail. :D

You can run the retail version by simply moving the media.vp files into another folder (Disabled-VPs is a good enough name). You'll recognise the media vps cause their names begin with mv_ and end in .vp

Quite frankly now that PXO is down I doubt that anyone with a working copy of FS2_open ever bothers with retail any more. FS2_Open is so much better that unless you're writing a campaign for retail there is no good reason to use it.

As for your problem with Taylors build that's an odd one. Did you install the dll's that came with the build?

Well, like you've said, I don't bother either with the retail version of FS2, no offense Volition :D.
As for the "problem" you refered last, I assume it's that thing with not being able to read the flag file. As for those, I simply left the dlls in the main folder. Now that I think about it, pretty lazy from me. I'll see if I can find where those dlls were supposed to be and place them in the right spot/folder (wherever they are :lol: )

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The main folder is the correct place actually so I'm a little lost as to why you should be having problems. You might want to post your problem in Taylor's thread as at the moment it sounds more like a bug than anything you're actually doing wrong. You may also wish to try a non-taylor build to help us figure out where the problem lies (I've seen the dlls cause problems with the flags file before and no one else's builds use the dlls so this woud help localise the problems)

Still if it only crashes on exit it's annoying but not a huge problem. It's when it crashes before you've finished with the game that it's a big problem :D

BTW if for some reason you're using alt-tab to leave the game that's a known bug. Doesn't sound like what you're doing but I never ceased to be amazed by the weird things people with problems sometimes turn out to have been doing :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:02:47 am by 340 »

so I'm a little lost as to why you should be having problems
that makes two of us. I went through the folders and I found none where there was a dll with the same name, so I left them there...
post your problem in Taylor's thread as at the moment it sounds more like a bug than anything you're actually doing wrong
yeah, that's what I'll do, it might help out with something else, since it's not a big problem (not with me, at least)...
You may also wish to try a non-taylor build to help us figure out where the problem lies (I've seen the dlls cause problems with the flags file before and no one else's builds use the dlls so this woud help localise the problems)
Alright, I'll lurk around and see what builds there is that might be able to help solve this.
It's when it crashes before you've finished with the game that it's a big problem  
hasn't happened so far, and let's hope it never does :D
if for some reason you're using alt-tab to leave the game that's a known bug
nope, still hadn't did that. besides, when I was searching for threads related with bugs, I saw one about that, so I made a mental note not to press Alt-Tab during the game :)
again, thanks for everything. been one hell of a help.