Author Topic: Galaxy Class starship final v0.9  (Read 8578 times)

Galaxy Class starship final v0.9

http://www.penguinbomb.com/omniscaper/Galaxy_v09.rar

Heres an almost finished conversion of Scotchy's final Galaxy model for Bridge Commander.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whats new?

Scotchy's more detailed and recolored textures and optimized mesh

The model is now properly smoothgrouped thanks to the 3dsmax plugin by Styxx.

I've added localized light refraction and BLINKY LIGHTS!!!!  

That and fixed the multiple phaser beam fire from a single phaser strip problem as seen in the beta release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need feedback for balancing issues, graphic anomolies (especially shine map problems because I got an ATI card and I can't see shinies). I wanna make this a version 1.0 and out of my hair.

I wanna get started on finishing the SAAB Hammerhead and hopefully begin modling the new Battlestar Galactica Series ships.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
omni, I think I'm going to ask your help to convert a couple of models with the 3ds plugin, your model has definitively far better shadings:)

Tanx, Karma.

Keep in mind, those are pictures without specular shading. I have an ATI card, so I can't see what it looks like with that effect. Can someone with speculars "on" post screen shots of the Galaxy ship?

Offline Axem

These pics good enough? :D

Uh, maybe too much shineyness on that last pic.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Try dropping the ambient factor a bit.  Throw in a little -env for added coolness?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Axem

Something like this? :D

Again the over shine problem...

Looks like part of it reflects but the other doesn't.

Sorta the same problem here, the saucer doesn't reflect the env mapping as much as the battle section.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
... Awesome...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*Falls into coma*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

WOW.... Nice pics Axem.

Its annoying though that Scotchy's specular maps do not include ones for the saucer registries. Its a pain to create and MATCH the specular shades.

Have you tried the included mission? Notice any glitches in phaser placement or shield anomolies? Are the LOD's working correectly?

Have you tried setting up a battle with the other past Trek ships?

To do list for this ship:

Debris models
Docking points (can someone point out tutorial to launch or receive fighters)
Paths to various subsystems,

Any other suggestions anyone, to improve for the last v1.0 release?

Heres an old pic I posted months ago with environment maps on.
I think its a bit overkill but still kool to look at.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 05:40:35 am by 1582 »

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
wow..Galaxy look's beter than in movie:D

Scotchy is quite an artist. His texturing skills are only surpassed by his modelling abilities. He can even provided me with bump maps in case FSO geniouses implement such a feature.

Too bad capship AI sucks big time for Freespace. All they know how to do is to chase each other's tails.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:47:01 pm by 1582 »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Bump maps are not Normal Maps.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

SWEET JESUS! It looks like you ripped out right out of my tv. Nicely done.

Originally posted by Liberator
Bump maps are not Normal Maps.

I stand corrected. :)

Similiar principal (makes textures respond to light sources dynamically), different technique. Either way, it makes a low poly model have the shading detail of a high poly model.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:45:24 pm by 1582 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Oooh, now make the phaser strips do their cool whirly-around-the-ship thing. :D
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Axem

I tried the mission, (after getting all the effects and tables ;)) and found out what a Galaxy would do with a fighter pilot at the helm. Needless to say, I don't think the Federation will be hiring any more pilots.

Phasers worked fine, but the shields were way too small and were usually overshadowed by the beam hit explosion (but that's a engine thing). I really never got far enough from it to see its LODs, that ship deserves to be seen up close. :D

I threw in a couple of other ships for the Galaxy to battle. A Vorcha and a Bird of Prey, and here's what resulted...

I thought the BoP could get away without setting waypoints, but it didn't work out well and rammed the Galaxy quite a few times. :doubt:

The only thing I can suggest is to see what you can do about that funky shinemapping. Other than that, it looks awsome!

(Must resist going back to the Trek Side...)

how do u use that -env thing?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Step-1 : Make sure you have a build supporting environment mapping.  If you grab one of the more recent builds from in the SCP's recent builds subforum, it'll have it.

Step-2 : In the launcher, under the options tab, select the "Experimental" section and make sure the environment mapping box is clicked... or you could just add -env to the extention of the shortcut you're running FSO from.

Note-1 : If you're just using standard environment mapping, make sure you've got shinemaps installed, otherwise the reflections will seem way too extreme and uncontrolled

Note-2 : If the shinemaps you're using are equipped with an alpha channel environment layer (such as Lightspeed's weekly updated texture pack), then you may also have the -alpha_env flag enabled in the launcher.  Also note that in this mode, any ship without an alpha-env channel in their shinemaps will look super bright

Note-3 : In any mode, environment maps can add some brightness to the model, and existing ambient light can wash out the reflections, so it may be a good idea to reduce the ambient lighting.  This is done by adding the following line into the "Custom flag" section in the launcher:  ambient_factor XX , where "X" is the number reflecting the desired ambient factor.   Default is 85 (IIRC), but I use 78.

Hope this helps.

Later!

WHats wrong with the shinemaps? Besides for the fact they don't exist for the ship registries :(.

Capship AI sucks in FS2 even when these ships are assigned to  fighter class. In reguard to the BOP's attack patterns, I've yet to assign paths to the various subsystems, so those fighter class assigned BOPS will always for a direct route for the subsytem or model's center point.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Omni, about 4-6 months back, before I upgraded my PC, I was having some difficulties playing FSO, so I decided to spend some time preping the starships you released, for more effective use.  I configured some of the submodels into destroyable subsystems, added larger primary subsystems, dockpoints, more firepoints (3 per strip-turret for better arc control) as well as dockpaths, subsystems paths, and fighterbay paths where applicable.  I never entirely completed them, but I think the only ones I didn't get to were the Dominion Attackship (since I found the shielded model upgrade after performing all my changes on an unshielded model), the galaxy (still had to add paths for turrets) and I think the Sovereign still needed some work.  If you'd like my take on them, I think I could arrange to have them sent back your way.

Later!