Author Topic: Beamz  (Read 5957 times)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Been working on some beam effects, tell me whatyou think of these..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/FireCrack/OMGJPG.jpg

the little blobs in the green beam are moving towards the sath, at high speeds

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/FireCrack/screen01.jpg

Lines on the side move inwards then more come from the other side and so on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/FireCrack/bVas.jpg

white glow removed, looks better animated ingame

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/FireCrack/BFRED.jpg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 12:44:21 am by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

I will have to say I am pretty impressed. Good job.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
And I would have to request better photos, before making any judgements...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yeah this one is preety ****ty, can someone tell me the screenshot key to make it easier to take a bunch of screens, wait it's probably in the f1 help ingame, i'l go.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
print screen.

and it pleases me
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
As long as the small white bits actually travel the length of the beam great, otherwise :blah:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ok i updated the first post with another screen and put them in links incase i'm breaking the table format of the forum.

And yes the whites do travel the length of the beam.

The vasudan beam has little white lines that span the length of the beam that move into the main core, hard to describe. but the vasudan one isn't done yet.

I'l try to get a better shot of a shivan one.

oh and i'd like to know the statust of using decals with beams, will it kill freespace?
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ok. A little overtiled on the second image, but a nice start...

Are you using EFF files? Or is it a still image being moved along the beam axis?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
image along beam axis, would the eff heolp solve my tiling woes?
actualy, mabye not.

Offline redmenace

hey, if you want,
We are working looking for new extras for the media VPs. Could you post a link to your effect so some people can take a look at it?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
decals don't work at all with beams, it's going to take some major codeing to get them working properly.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Top screenshots updated

I'l pt up the files tommorow as it's late tonight and this includes a table file, is that ok for media VP's or would i have to work around that?

As for the decals thing, umm, i acknowledge your reply.
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Eviscerator

• Who? What? Noway!
Just my opinion, but I think it maybe a good idea to make the BFReds look more menacing. Bigger, redder, meaner. Something that gives the "OMFG!!!" reaction.
The Lurker Extreme

To study and not think is a waste, but to think and not study is dangerous.

Hands off me haggis!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Eviscerator
Just my opinion, but I think it maybe a good idea to make the BFReds look more menacing. Bigger, redder, meaner. Something that gives the "OMFG!!!" reaction.

What he said. They just don't have the "HOLY CRUD! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, IT'S A HUGE FRICKING BEAM CANNON!" look anymore.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I have to complain a bit about the shivan beams.
The glows have seams and the gradients are less than optimal.

I like the other beams. But AFAIK animated beams should be possible soon, which will probably look even better.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I've been trying to make animated looking beams since I was able to make tri-beams but I haven't succeeded yet. Close to what I was trying to do was that Bvas you posted up top Firecrack... If you don't mind I want to take a look at the image you're using to see what I am doing wrong. There are several effect looking images (like lightning, rings, waves, shadow speckled, ect) that I have been wanting to use but they all turn into lined normal beams (like the last two posted above)... Don't mean to highjack, but I asked this like last year and didn't get much of a response.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

OMG I WANT THOSE!

The Terran beam in particular looks simply fantastic. The vasudan beam is kinda hard to make out details in that pic. The shivan one could use a little bit of work.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I made a special build for Lighspeed earlier but beams were messed up in that build.  It did have animated beam support though.  No other build has it yet but the code is in CVS.  The only problem is that I have no idea whether or not it actually works.  I never had the art to test with.  If you want a build to test with FireCrack then PM me but I'm not posting anything for public use yet.  Just do it *quickly*.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I'd say yes but I don't think my system could handle it, (see the problem I had with your last build in DaBrain's EFF thread. It made the game totaly unplayable for me.

specs:

p4 1.8gig
 512mb
card ATI 7200 all in wonder tv in/out 32mb
[no chance of upgrading next 2-3years]

Well it least it's better than the p2 400 I had for the first 6 months when I joined HLP in 2002!!!!
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)