Author Topic: RELEASE - Freespacelancer  (Read 9800 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
RELEASE - Freespacelancer
Sort of.  This isn't a real release so much as a proof-of-concept that got a little out of hand.  I whipped it up this evening to demonstrate something I had in mind to ShadowWolf, and then I kept adding stuff to it. :p

Basically, you are a mercenary for hire.  You go from sector to sector, looking for jobs and getting paid.  Some jobs require you to have more experience than other jobs, and certain jobs won't be available at certain times.  As you earn money, you get to purchase better ships and weapons.

The majority of this can be done quite effectively with persistent variables, and the rest can be implemented with the variable loadout code that I still haven't gotten around to doing.  But I thought people might be interested in seeing an actual demonstration of how this kind of campaign would work.

There's no combat and very little plot (although the Mission Designer does make an appearance ;)).  Just fly from sector to sector and take whatever jobs you find.  Jump out within 500m of an object to follow that object, and jump out elsewhere to check your score.  You'll get the hang of it once you start playing it.

Oh, and two things you guys may be interested to know: I'm fairly certain that this is the first nonlinear Freespace campaign ever released.  And it was all done in retail FRED. ;)

http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/downloads/freespacelancer.zip

EDIT: update link
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:29:27 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No combat? So it's a demo to show that it can be done?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Interesting... Very interesting...
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
We were discussing ho9w Mercs was going to work, and it's alot like this.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Cool, now we have to expect some kind of Freelancer gameplay or I war 2 gameplay into the Freespace Universe or maybe into the Star Wars / Star Trek Universe :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks lIke I'm going to be spending some time in FRED taking this apart :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Of course, now we have to somehow randomly generate hostiles to impede your progress...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
nah.....it'll be better than that crap.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Goober : How on earth have you managed to make links higher up in the campaign tree? Editing in notepad?

Since this is the first time I've used FRED since Christmas I'd just like to say. Voice Acting Manager? :wtf:!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
*proceeds to tear the mission apart in FRED and have a look at it's innards, much like an autopsy :D

Cant wait to try it :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Roanoke

persistant variables and retail FRED ?

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
iam surprised and amazed at how simple the missions are....yet truly frigethened and awed by the complexity of your campaign file O_O

I didn't see any variables in the missions though.......
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
y'know, i'm gonna post up another idea this has given me in my little ideas thread in the general FS forum..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

*raises eyebrow*

Very interesting.  I'll have to experiment when I get my computer working properly... again.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
Goober : How on earth have you managed to make links higher up in the campaign tree? Editing in notepad?
Yup. :) I'm surprised nobody has tried it before.  Everything I've done in that campaign has been possible since FS1. ;)
Since this is the first time I've used FRED since Christmas I'd just like to say. Voice Acting Manager? :wtf:!
Er, yeah.  That's something that's in progress. :nervous:
Originally posted by Roanoke
persistant variables and retail FRED ?
Nope.  Judicious use of is-previous-event-true.  It works the same way as a campaign-persistent variable* that can only be true or false.
Originally posted by Singh
iam surprised and amazed at how simple the missions are....yet truly frigethened and awed by the complexity of your campaign file O_O
The campaign file is what makes it possible. :)
I didn't see any variables in the missions though.......
There are none.  Except for the score variable in AwardCeremony, but that was just to make scorekeeping easier.  It could have been done without it.

*It's persistent throughout the entire campaign, except it's overwritten when the mission is played again.  So if you want to use it for more than one time through the mission, you have to "latch" it using a second event.  Look at the AwardCeremony mission to see how that works.  Unfortunately there's no way to put comments in FRED, and the events are a bit of a mess, so it might take some work to figure out.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Goober5000
Yup. :) I'm surprised nobody has tried it before.  Everything I've done in that campaign has been possible since FS1. ;)

:) As soon as I saw it I was positively kicking myself that I hadn't tried it earlier myself. We all know that FRED frequently has problems with things that FS2 couldn't give a stuff about. :D

Er, yeah. That's something that's in progress. :nervous:

I've already given it a try. Looks pretty useful. What are the campaign and mission boxes for though? :nervous: :confused:

*It's persistent throughout the entire campaign, except it's overwritten when the mission is played again.  So if you want to use it for more than one time through the mission, you have to "latch" it using a second event.  Look at the AwardCeremony mission to see how that works.  Unfortunately there's no way to put comments in FRED, and the events are a bit of a mess, so it might take some work to figure out.

Yeah. Took me a few seconds to realise why you were testing for an event at the same time as testing for an event that could only occur if the first one had happened :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
I've already given it a try. Looks pretty useful. What are the campaign and mission boxes for though? :nervous: :confused:
That dialog (the only one that's finished so far) is for generating filenames for sound files.  It uses the same format that Volition used, except it's a little more customizable.  Put a few letters in each text box and see what the result is.  Then click "Generate Filenames" and check out the messages in the event editor. ;)

Of course, now that OGG support is available, I'll have to add another option for selecting either OGG or WAV as the extension. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
Cool, now we have to expect some kind of Freelancer gameplay or I war 2 gameplay into the Freespace Universe or maybe into the Star Wars / Star Trek Universe :D

SW and ST TC's are already being worked on. as for the I-War, i might to a TC of i-war 1, then i-war 2 if i figure out how goober did that.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Lol you don't really understand what i mean. I just expected to have a I war 2 or Freelancer Gameplay into these Universe.
I know there are a SW and ST TC but i don't think they will implemented some Hyperspace travel like the I War series, or Freelancer or as well X Wing Alliance.

Do you know now what i really want to tell you ? ^^