Author Topic: little things bugging me  (Read 11825 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
little things bugging me
what are the names of the textures used for the Ulysses and Arcadia glowpoints? I want to get them and change them to color-modified versions of Bobbau's little glowpoints, (and i know the two wingtip ones are engine glows)

little things give this whole business a sense of quality and attention to detail etc etc
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just open the models up in PCS and take a look at what is in the GLOW section.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think bob just used weapon glows for those. just make your own, weapon glows are like the easyest thing to do. i have made litterally hundreds of them the best of which will be used in nukemod.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The ones on the arcadia are indeed weapon glows.  But I'll make you a deal; get me glowpoints in the style of those on Bob's Herc but in all colors (and any appropriate half-tones, like teal) and I'll update the models with them.  It'd be easier to use new glows than to modify the weapon glows that they are currently using.  I used the red and blue glows from Bob's Herc and a RGB to RBG converted version for Nico's Ezechiel, if you want to see what I had in mind.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
:ick: I hate the glow points. They look so... tacky.  (IMO)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
maybey you can get lighty to do a batch of them. i intend to use glowpoints on everything i make as soon as pcs gets upgraded.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
@Raa: if glows are done correctly, they can really enhance a model.  You're not going to tell me that these look tacky, now are you?

Credit of course to Nico for the Ezechiel model.

Trouble is they aren't always done correctly; I've always viewed the Ulysses model as a tech demo more than an actual implimentation of glowpoints, so I expect it to be a little above and beyond acceptable, quite frankly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 02:30:59 pm by 570 »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
ownage!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ehh, I really don't like them. Sorry.

Offline Gank

Aye they dont look right, like they're sitting off the model or something.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That's a fault of the textures.  They actually all are centered on part of the geometry.  The ezechiel has tips on those wings that come up under the glowpoints, the contrast just isn't that high so they are hard to see.  The rest of them are quite plainly sitting on the model.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ehh. I still dislike them. I think that conventional glowmaps and the HDR/Bloom effect is the way to go.

Offline Anaz

I think they look kinda funny when overdone (uly seems that way IMO...), but they look awesome on things like runway lights, or on installations, or on the flashing lights on the ends of antennae.

I don't quite know what it is, but the glows on that 'zech just look a bit...off
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If any one of you could elaborate on what you mean by "off", I'd love to enhance the model any way I can while I await a shield icon.  I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with those lights, unless you think they are too big.  Also, take a look at the model in game; pictures seldom do glowpoints justice.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I hate them on the Uly, I hate them on the Herc, and I hate them on the Ezech.  The glows are teh lame. Sorry. My opinion stands. And I have seen them in game.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Raa, I know your opinion, damnit :)

I'm asking for why people see them as "off," not why you don't like them.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, you said 'both of you' and it seemed only me and Anaz were complaining. :p

Edit: Oh. I missed Gank. Oops.

Offline Anaz

I have a few theories atm:

It might just be the purple glows. I don't know why, but they seem out of place.

It might also be the number of glows. All the other glowy ships have either been "right" or "overdone". This one might be underdone. I thought the herc looked pretty good.

It might also be that they look like they're floating. Would probably be a non-issue if I was looking at it in the tech room.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ok, that makes sense.  The purple were actually pulled off the Herc and were supposed to be blue, I'll try a better blue and maybe a cyan and see how those look.  As for being over/underdone, the Herc actually only has three glows, but they are really large.  I was going for a more running-lights look (which made the most sense with where Nico suggested I place them, thus the red and green blinkers on the wingtips) and I tried to keep it subtile; maybe therein lies your dislike of them.

Also, I just looked again at the position.  I may be able to pull the glows in a little tighter in places, so I'll give that a try.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
OK ive made the all colors versions of the glowpoints, where should i send them
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D