Author Topic: new modpack in progress  (Read 20787 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
new modpack in progress
EDIT: This post will always contain the most up-to-date pack.  They are backwards compatable, but I'll be making minor tweak adjustments to the released models as I discover qwirks in conversion.

Terran Fleet Pack 1a (RAR)

You all saw this, back in the "Smoothing Errors Suck" thread:

I've fixed the turrets, so they look correct now.  No more shading errors.  Just need to get MOI right for her, and she'll be ready to release.  roughly 3k polys for LOD0.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 12:45:56 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Stupid image limit.

Secondly, one of a pair of similar corvettes (this is the heavy variant though they are almost identical stat-wise), the Bellerophon.  Forward guns, vulnerable to flanking, but utterly devestating to anything caught in its forward arcs.

If anyone knows of any good non-:v: tiling textures that I could use instead of what I've got now, please do tell.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 02:18:43 am by 570 »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
"Formidable!"
"You MOD like a Vasudan!"

The natives approve. :grin:
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Okay, I'm definitely liking those ships.
-C

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
The first is very innovative. It's the disc and good smoothing.

The second one looks like a big-gun support frigate I've dreaming of for a while now. The lights on the hump are a tiny bit iff-y but otherwise it looks awesome in modern SCP - great smoothing.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hmm...like the first, but not the corvette. It looks more Ferrium then Freespace 2.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Ferrium doesn't look like anything.

Good job with the ships there Strat :yes:

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Cool Ships :yes:

How long did the Bellerophon take to complete from scratch?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'd honestly have no way of knowing.  I've had the primary LOD around  for a while actually, but fear of the pain and futility of turreting it in Truespace - and then putting in correct POF data on a model that will slow Modview to a crawl - kept me from doing anything with it until recently.  If memory serves the primary hull went quickly, maybe as little as 45 minutes to model, an hour to texture.  Maybe longer, but I honestly can't remember.  However, now that I've got a working converter, it took me about 2 hours to LOD it, turret it, and give it all the necessary helpers and final POF tweaks that it needed, with having to do about all of that twice thanks to Max crashing on me about a dozen times.  Again, it needs proper mass and MOI, but that's got to come from tinkering first and foremost, which I haven't had time to do yet.

Offline comic

Wow, Must get those when they are free to download. The corvett looks like one of the destroyers of HW if you ask me.

Awsom designs look forward to using them, Keep it up.
"Every Light Carries A Shadow" - Carved on an obelisc on Z'Ha'Dum

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You really should look into texture baking. Especially on that corvette, it looks like you've got some cool texture ideas, but are limited by both the V texs and the fact that it's all tiled. Baking it up would allow you to add dirt and decals and specific stuff like that in PS afterwards.

Also, how big is that first one? The number of repeats on the lights texture makes it look huge, especially on the inside of the ring.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I've used baking before (how do you think I made those turrets?  I certainly don't have a dozen textures on them :))  But my baking capabilities are permanently broken, unfortunately.  The rollout crashes when I try it in Max.

And point taken on the lights on the Sparta.  I've been forcing myself to use the same scale for all the light tiles in a scene lately, but the texturing job there predates that restriction.  If I ever get that model back to convertable state, I'll fix the lights.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 01:38:38 pm by 570 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nice.  I like that second one in particular, it strikes me as quite original, i'm quite taken with the front of it. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Strat, I love the paint stripes on the Bellerophon! It's original and looks great.

Can we have a better shot of the front of the Sparta? The second-to-last image in that series looks a little iffy...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy

The lab isn't letting me save screens with the model manually rotated so a techroom pic will have to do.  Sorry for the small size.  Also, though I added in 12 dockports along the lower spine, there isn't much of a fundamental change from this:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 02:36:39 am by 570 »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The Bellerophon looks like a scaled down Raynor.

What class is the first one?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Do I need to circle the descriptor on the last image? :p

More or less, it's a huge transport.  But it can't dock with anything.  And it has a small fighterbay.  It has a tech description though, which when I release all of this will explain what it is designed to do.  For now, compare it to the Hippocrates.

As for the Bellerophon, that's actually not a bad comparison.  The lineage of the design can be traced to the Raynor, and all of the ships that I'm working on (the terran ones, anyway) will be part of the same design family.  The Sparta (Marine Frigate) also borrows more than incidentally from the Raynor's lines, though it's less apparent.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are you gonna get around to converting all those Vasudan designs of yours, or are those reserved for other Mods?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
No they are on tap.  One has gone to Inferno, since Woo was able to convert it before I was, but the rest are still up for grabs.  Or rather they will be :drevil:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Good.  There's a real shortage good Vasudan capital ship designs out there.  Many MOD will bare your works.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!