Author Topic: Ebay selling  (Read 19641 times)

I just saw this off firstones and did not know if anyone knew.  Is that even legal to sell?

Zathras4PM
 Ebay Fraudster
Hi, if anyone who helped design the game is reading this, someone is selling the game YOU designed on ebay.co.uk. The ID of this scumbag is Deepalpha1.

I hate to see someone profiteering from other people's hard endeavours so if you can do anything about this do it before someone else falls for it!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 05:49:13 pm by 2196 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Link

This could quite easily qualify as profiting from the sale of the SCP which is prohibited under the terms of the Open source license the SCP has.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well, it should be a simple idea of contacting him and telling him to take it down? Or asking ebay?

Shouldn't it?

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
What the?? :no:  :mad:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Burns

Wow... just wow. Thanks for telling the team.
That which does not kill me is delaying the inevitable.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
:mad:

He seems to be the sort of a guy I would love to burn on a stake...

He's got about three auctions going. :sigh:

Two

And, the third one.

That one has been bidded on. Twice. Around 4 hours to go from this posting time.

Wonder if those fools know you can just download it?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are 14 auctions at the moment.
8206235631, 8206235631, 8206235614, 8206918354, 8206919280, 8206919295, 8206235635, 8206235644, 8206235652, 8206235660, 8206235668, 8206235677, 8206235685, 8206235691

I have informed eBay of copyright and IP violations. Unfortunately it would seem like some of the auctions will end before eBay staff can take action, as there are only a few hours remaining.

Because I wanted a message away as soon as possible, I did not have much time to think about the message's content, but this is what I sent:

User deepalpha1 have auctioned multiple "Babylon 5 Space Combat Game" items in eBay. This game in question is in reality "The Babylon Project". The Babylon Project is a free game that uses game engine of FreeSpace 2 by Volition Incorporated.

1. I am project leader of The Babylon Project staff. The staff is very displeased to see someone profiting from our hard work.

Project homepage: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/babylon/

2. The game engine's source code has been publicly available for years, "FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project" staff has spent those years improving the original game engine. Their staff is also very displeased to see someone profiting from their hard work. Developers of Volition Incorporated provided the community with source code of the game engine, with a condition that nobody will ever make profit out of it. This has been violated with those auctions.

Project homepage: http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php

3. Since this user called deepalpha1 has violated "The Babylon Project" staff, "FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project" staff, Warner Bros (owns Babylon 5 license) and Volition Inc. and Interplay (the two own rights to the game engine) rights. Thus, we demand that those auctions are immediately removed.

Thank you.

Hopefully it will be enough to make eBay staff to take action.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 03:17:24 am by 173 »

Offline -Norbert-

I think if ever Interplay, Volition or Warner get to know about this, that ..... person has a few lawsuits on him.
And if you ask me, he/she deserves it.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I can't imagine many Babylon 5 fans falling for this. So I'm not particularly concerned. Contacting ebay management is probably a waste of time too (live8). On the other hand if there's some way of warning people on the ebay site (I don't know, I don't use ebay) then please do so.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

I think most or all B5 fans know that there has never been an official flight simulator launched, as the only one went down in flames when Interplay cut costs or whatever.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
eBay has not replied within their promised 48 hours timeframe. Which kinda leads me to believe that they don't give a ****, which again can put us in a difficult position if companies who own B5 licenses in some form notices those auctions.

I hereby ask that everyone report "Babylon 5 Space Combat Game" items to the eBay staff as being illegal. If a few reports won't get eBay's attention, maybe numbers will.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I have already. And I shall again when the time comes.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
eBay has not replied within their promised 48 hours timeframe. Which kinda leads me to believe that they don't give a ****, which again can put us in a difficult position if companies who own B5 licenses in some form notices those auctions.

Not surprising. Some time ago some idiot was selling prints of Star Trek 3d artwork on eBay. All of the prints were either scans of official Paramount artwork or stolen from all over the net. Complaint was made to eBay, but they did nothing. I'm not sure if Paramount interfered later on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I have to register to report something, but not to look at it.

**** that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mewgen1

I've submited a complaint under the "Unathorized Copies" clause.  Hopefully it will get more response.  Might I suggest letting the people who have so far purchased copies know that they have been duped?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have posted news about this incident to our homepage...

Offline Roanoke

He/She didn't even pick a decent screen shot.

edit:reported to ebay, for what it's worth
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 04:31:03 am by 2275 »

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Have you guys considered registering an account to nullify the auctions by just bidding $10,000 five minutes before the auction ends and letting the scumbag pay the fees?

This'd be especially evil if you got two accounts to do it, so his credit card would automatically get billed the final value fee on the 10k he'll never see... which should be something like $250 :D

Offline -Norbert-

Does anyone know about how warner, volition and interplay react to such things?
If you can be sure, that you and the SCP won't be shut down, you could go to them and let them take this ******* down.