Author Topic: High Poly Artemis WIP  (Read 17466 times)

High Poly Artemis WIP
As you may or may not know, i have been working on a high poly Artemis, here are some pics on the progress. Keep in mind its not finished yet. Any input or comments are apreciated.

Derek Smart is his own oxymoron.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Looks pretty good, however I don't think you need to spend so many polies on making curves. What program is that, btw?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I'm loving it already.

Are you going to be adding one of those realistic cockpits to it? And are you doing the Artemis DH textures, too?

ooo! pretty!

If you are doing the DH, i know its not cannon but would anybody consider moving the guns in closer to the centerline, just on the DH not the standard one

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It's smoother, but not more detailed. Model in some of the parts you see on the textures. Take the hi-poly Herc as an example.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by redsniper
...What program is that, btw?

Looks Blender to me.
As for the model, too curvy, devours too many polies and the changes are not apparent in-game. Add details instead of making the curves smoother.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I plan to add details, lots of details, now that I have the basic shape and smoothness i want.

I am going to add a realistic cockpit.

I think I will make the DH after, but make some changes to it like, such as 2 gun banks of 2, instead of 1 gun bank of 4

The program is Luxology's Modo.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by MicroPsycho
I plan to add details, lots of details, now that I have the basic shape and smoothness i want.

I am going to add a realistic cockpit.

I think I will make the DH after, but make some changes to it like, such as 2 gun banks of 2, instead of 1 gun bank of 4

You probably need to do some major optimizing before you think about adding more detail.  Final count, you shouldn't exceed 2k triangles for the ship and its cockpit, and you're already over three I'd guess.  You don't need that much fine smoothing detail, but rather more of the big stuff that you'd see with spec mapping.  Also, don't change the DH at all unless you do a second version; canon ship mods need to be completely compatable if they are going to see widespread usage.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Boomer

[improvised Motorola voice]Hello Modo.[/improvised Motorola voice]

Personally, I prefer blender, it exports .COBs.

Great job on the model.  To save polies, try using some Quads, you have to use them carefully so that they're perfectly flat, but they're well worth it.  Hell, the original :v: models used 'em.  

Can't wait to see my favorite bomber in High Poly Goodness.;7
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Actually quads don't help any under HTL, the face is broken into triangles to be rendered IIRC.  Do a triangulated count on all models for HTL.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Looks sexy. As it should. Keep it up.

So, what is my upper limit for polies? I noticed the High-Poly Erinyes was just under 3000 and that's my aim. Is that reasonable?

Oh yeah, i need a cockpit, more precisely a pilot. I'm not ready for making figures like that so is there a cockpit I can borrow the pilot from?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's a tad high but not unreasonable.  As for the cockpit, just about everyone uses the one that Nico/Venom made a while back; the original is out there somewhere but I've been extracting it out of the Ezechiel.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by MicroPsycho
So, what is my upper limit for polies?...

To be honest, I don't know if the SCP has a higher limit for polies. The Galactica model from Star Trek has around half a million polies and FSO can handle it no problem. I think the ~3000 poly aim sounds acceptable. I would say to go less because there is likely to be more than one or two bombers on screen most of the times, but I would be pounced on again and get accused of being incessantly stuck to canon by Raa.

Do you plan to make better textures, too? Because I think having better textures make a model almost as much better as a poly lifting does. The Hercules I by Bob(?) is a good example, it's a high poly version and has better textures. I still think that's the best HTL ship we have. (Sorry KARMA. :p)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:13:30 am by 1079 »

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There is a hard limit of polys per subobject, but it's so high that I doubt you'll see it.  It's also a format limitation more than an engine limitation IIRC.  Half a million polys in one subobject isn't going to work, but 10k should be no problem.  However, don't go all out as TopAce is right; the real problem isn't having one on screen, it's having 8, so I'll tow my line and keep saying watch the polycount.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by StratComm
... However, don't go all out as TopAce is right; the real problem isn't having one on screen, it's having 8...

Yes, it's a basic rule: I am never right. :o

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. You never are :p

Originally posted by TopAce
To be honest, I don't know if the SCP has a higher limit for polies. The Galactica model from Star Trek has around half a million polies and FSO can handle it no problem.

You're an order of magnitude out. It's 50,000 not 500,000 IIRC. Not to mention that the galactica is strangely enough from BattleStar Galactica not Star Trek :D

See? :D

You're spot on about not going mad with the polies though. 2000-3000 is a pretty good budget for a fighter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by StratComm
It's a tad high but not unreasonable.  As for the cockpit, just about everyone uses the one that Nico/Venom made a while back; the original is out there somewhere but I've been extracting it out of the Ezechiel.

pffff....

Make your own cockpit.  Far more fun.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by karajorma
You're an order of magnitude out. It's 50,000 not 500,000 IIRC. Not to mention that the galactica is strangely enough from BattleStar Galactica not Star Trek :D

See? :D

I know neither universe.