Author Topic: Possible bugs?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I've encountered something odd while using 3.6.7 (also tried some new CVS builds, BTW of which 20050925-redmenace gives me a flag error). These problems happen when i'm firing fighterbeams, check this thread. I've never before seen fighterbeams in use before but this looks quite odd.

Also something else, when i build a mission using practically all terran and vasudan fighters all of those have good looking thruster effects. However if i use some additional models and my own customized tables (ships & weapons) something happens, some of the models lose their thruster effects. It's always the same models, like all Serapis fighters and all Myrmidons. I tried running these custom models and missions in their own folder, and in freespace2/data/... folders. I also cleared both FS2 and that 'campaings' cache directories and even tried creating new pilots.  I think i suffered from this same problem some time ago but just can not remember did i ever fix it before my cpu took a break.

These might be bugs or then they might also be user errors :doubt:. Any ideas? At least the latter might have something to do with customized tables?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The obvious - have you run a debug error, and are you _not_ using the 'less strict parsing' command-line option? (I forget exactly what it's called)

If both of those don't turn up anything, it's probably not a syntax problem.

However, it might be a limits problem. Have you added any engine wash entries into ships.tbl?
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Degub gave me this and i'm not using 'disable parsing errors' -option:

Warning: $AwacsMultiplier not specified for species Terran in species_defs.tbl!  Defaulting to 00.

File:C:\fs2_open\code\species_defs\species_defs.cpp
Line: 281
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    game_init()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

And same for the vasudans and shivans. And few tabling mishaps which i corrected but it didn't help (missing weapons).

Here is a pic   of the thruster problem. And there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the ships.tbls engine washes. My weapons.tbl is quite large (past 150kb) could it cause this? I also have changed default fighter types name  from Ulysses to Odysseus. It's still first in the table but is renamed.

BTW
I could have sworn that some older build worked fine with this, i mean perhaps builds around 3.6.5?:confused: Can't remember. And now the mission won't even load with 3.6.5. I fredded it a bit with new fred2_open_r_08282005.zip so that might cause it.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Could this thruster problem perhaps be a manifestation of Mantis bug #559?  I.e. are the ships without glows ships that you have assigned to a wing in loadout rather than in FRED?  If so, try it on one of the most recent builds as I think that's been fixed.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Now that you mention it, yes. All the ships missing thruster effects have been selected from the loadout screen :doubt:. But i tried this with 14/09 CVS build and it didn't work.

EDIT: Logged to Mantis, and it seems the bug was fixed after that build. So i just have to find a new working build. Perhaps 24/9.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Wanderer
So i just have to find a new working build. Perhaps 24/9.

19/9 or 20/9 should have the fix.  I would stay away from anything newer than that for at least a week or so since CVS code is a bit flaky right now.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That is strange, twice this bug has been seen and commented on since 3.6.7 but it actually goes back a long time.

I don't remember 9-19 being an available build, but 9-20 has this fixed.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yep, 20/09 worked fine (after little OpenAL confusion) and all thruster effects could be seen! :)

Offline starfox

I have the same problem with thruster effects, every single fighter has retail effects on their thrusters. I have installed Lightspeed effects asn per instructions and I'm using 20050930 build, the very latest from CVS build thred. I wonder if it is the tables that are the problem ? or something, they used to work well in the past.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP