Author Topic: Sometimes, good ideas can happen outside the shower  (Read 2102 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Sometimes, good ideas can happen outside the shower
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/fs2_open_ex_d.zip

Start any mission that isn't a cutscene, and try toggling auto-hostile-targeting (alt-h).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:59:45 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Can't play freespace here, mind giving a more acurate description?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Axem

My god. That is fracking awesome. Gliding!

(Link points to the wrong file btw)

Offline WMCoolmon

Fixxered. :)
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Interesting... it's almost Newtonian Physics. Enough to make it actually playable, but it introduces a whole new gameplay technique. Could this be combined with ship-mounted turrets for a Freelancer-like defensive mode? Paired with the AI taking over the ship controls, this has immense possibilities.  Does the AI use it, though?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
been playing Tachyon, WM?.. nice feature.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WMCoolmon

Nope. :p I was on my way to a class, drift-thinking about the valleycon offer to BSG, when I realized how I could do this. I was wrong :p but close enough to being right to get it in the almost-totally-working state it's in now.

I've committed it to CVS. A ship's ability to glide is toggled via a "Glide: YES" option right after "$Slide decel:", right before "$Warpin speed:".

The default key to toggle it is Alt-G (You will have to set this manually with existing pilots, see the "Ships" tab). There's no visual indication as of now, except for the speed bar going haywire and the ship gliding. :p

AI won't use it. I consider it incomplete but usable. I'd like to fix the speed bar, and make it so that the ship doesn't immediately change speeds. However I don't completely understand the physics code, so I'm reluctant to start making changes to lower-level functions to fix it.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
So what.. this makes you "drift" when you take corners?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Crashes every time I try to load it, but the concept sounds great :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
had some trouble running it under d3d (runs fine in ogl withut a mod). it would be nice if you made it like the freelancer slide rather than the tachyon slide. freelancer allowed you to use your burners in drift mode, however you would not loose momentum when you released them.  none the less a fancy cool slide option does not newtonian make, but its a start. full newtonian should handel like orbiter or elite 2 and ffe. for playability make it so you can play with or without stabilizers, wich would counter rotation and keep you within a certain safe operational envelop (in other words keeping you from building up too much velocity relitive to the mission area ).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN