Author Topic: Hi Poly Charybdis  (Read 22230 times)

Offline Axem

As seen on Game Warden!

Actually no. These are slightly newer pics. Model's nearly complete, almost ready to be UV'ed. Post your grievances now or forever hold your peace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/charfinal1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/charfinal2.jpg

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Awesome. :nod:
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ahhhh... delicious!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Weird ship, but lovely model. The detailing is spot-on :yes:

Fantastic.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey that's all kinds of sexy there :yes:

I condone it!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wow, excellent! Very well done. The neck, sides and domes are perfect.
My only critique is that of the surfaces we see most of in the second pic; the polies on the undersides of the wings should be straightened out, and the trapezoid of the back looks... unnatural, somehow. Actually, I think it looks too much like the original shape with details modeled into it. Maybe try something kinda like this for the sloped sides, or just for the end panels with the rest sloped.
|              |
└┐          ┌┘
  |          |

Or something extra in the profile of the engine, where right now it's
  ________
/
make it
  _______
/———´

Everywhere else it's [color=D0B8BF]peachy[/color]. :yes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
ooh, me like me like. carry on :D

whats the polycount tho?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Axem

Indeed, those wings have been the bane of the entire model from day 1. I initially started off from the engine block and worked forward, but those wings made me start on the front instead. ;) I'll see what I can do with them. If things don't go well, I'll just delete and readd them in another style.

The Poly count is just under 6000. I'm pretty sure I won't go over 6k in the end.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Very Nice Axem. :D
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Nice model, but it really emphasizes how un-FS-ish the Charybdis really is. It looked wrong in the beginning, and it's even worse now.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

What's un-FS about it?  It's angular, it's a series of boxes with a boom attached.  Apart from the radome, it's pretty standard  -even the 'wings' fit in FS2-designs.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Way nice! Why doesn't its beloved Vasudan counterpart get such cushy treatment? :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
More polys to the engines!  (Actually, do what Bob did with the Deimos, which actually lowers the polycount on the main LOD itself and makes the engines destroyable ;) I can hook you up with a scene that shows how he did it if you aren't sure).  Otherwise, fantastic.  I love the boom.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Axem

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. ;)

I had higher poly ones that looked nicer, but I was afraid that would really push up the poly count.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Way nice! Why doesn't its beloved Vasudan counterpart get such cushy treatment? :p

I hope to try some day, though I don't know what I'd be able to do, if anything.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Good thing about this is it means no more FUBAR'ed turrets!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow; I completely missed this one at GW.  Amazing work! :)

Offline Axem

Smallish update. I redid the engines, so they're smoother. They're each separate subobjects, I hope to do some stuff with the subobject LODding so I can still use lower poly ones for if you're not right next to them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/ccchary1.jpg

Anyway, I have no ideas on what to do with the wing-like things. They're too plain for my tastes right now. They need something, but I have no idea what that is. Suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/ccchary2.jpg

As soon as the wings are done, I'll map it and hand it off for texturing.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I would say make them very jagged with sharp angled plates, kind of give it a stealth look.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.