Author Topic: My second HTL try: Manticore  (Read 23317 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
My second HTL try: Manticore
Ok, my Loki wasn't really good after all, so I'm trying to work on another ship. ;)

What do you think? Am I on right way this time?

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: My second HTL try: Manticore
Melikes :yes:

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
The pic is a little on the dark side. Could you try getting a better one where I can see the model in a better light?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Looks pretty good from what I can see.

-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ok, a better pic. No problem. ;)

This one should match WMCoolmon's pic:

And another one:

Right out of Wings3d. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
3 things.

1: Very good so far !
2: Model in the glowing bits though...
3: (nitpick) the triangles of the gun barrels should have the point furthest from the center pointing winwards and downwards
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
jesus, you people never know when to stop amazing me. :D

but i've always had this question: why do the laser banks look like they should be for missiles, and vice versa?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
ersonaly i think it was either a messup like the myrmydon-helios, or it was decided that the balance needed to be changed and :V: did it the lazy way.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Considering that the FS2 intro has them the wrong way round you could very likely be correct Firecrack. Most likely the change happened too late to redo the scenes the Manticore was in.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
but still, the missile ports look like they would prevent the missiles themselves from even getting out.

IMO, it makes :v: look kinda stupid there. not that I have anything against them, though. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

He could widen the ports. Dunno how that'd look.
-C

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Considering that the FS2 intro has them the wrong way round you could very likely be correct Firecrack. Most likely the change happened too late to redo the scenes the Manticore was in.

FS1 movie too, it shoots from the front banks.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's a looks-vs-balance thing.  Same deal with the Apollo, probably the Myrmadon, and a number of other ships.  Having the gun ports on the extreme edges of a ship (Claymore!!!!1111one, to pick at aldo ;)) makes the ship MUCH less combat effective, and :v: typically dealt with this by swapping gun and missile ports on affected models.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Personaly, i never had a problem with wingtip gunbanks, just aim a bit off center to compensate...
actualy, mabye not.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But you only hit with half your guns when you do.  It's not impossible to compensate for, it's just not ideal.  And I don't think the AI could figure it out.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Needs more work; as it's been said, model in the glowy bits. Try to make it look like the texture even when it's untextured; that way when it's done the UV maps can be adjusted to the model and look much better.

IIRC Nico made a Manticore. Let's find it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Then you roll so all your shots hit :D

unless it's one of those blasted peauguseses.

But yeah, the AI is the deal eh...
actualy, mabye not.

Offline WMCoolmon

But you only hit with half your guns when you do.  It's not impossible to compensate for, it's just not ideal.  And I don't think the AI could figure it out.

Yeah, I've watched a Herc sit a few hundred meters away from a sentry gun (or cargo container, I don't remember) and fire away at it for at least five minutes, completely missing it every time. A marksman the AI is not.
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board

IIRC Nico made a Manticore. Let's find it.

... I knew it...

Screw the broken search function.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
HERE's the archived thread, image links are broken though. He said he was working from the concept art found HERE, which is a good idea.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...