Author Topic: Impact Decal Art  (Read 4068 times)

This is a reverse upgrade thread.  I'm working on slapping impact decals into a new tbm at the moment, but my photoshop skills are zero.  It was hard enough for me to make a test decal with a transparency!  Does anyone have impact decal art?  I dimly remember some interesting ones being thrown around back in the day, but I don't have/can't find them anymore.  Ideally I need a few different types (fightergun, capgun and beam) but I'd settle for anything made by someone who knows what they're doing.  :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Tada!

And also: http://fs2source.warpcore.org/temp/decal_data.zip

[attachment deleted by admin]
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
also, beas cant mace decals IIRC
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

W00t and bah! :)

Okey dokey, I've messed with the impact decals a bit.  However, the decal only seems to apply to the face it hits, which makes it look like ass on Shivan ships (with all the angles), particularly since the AI usually aims for things like turrets.  Is there any way to fix this?  And can beams pretty please apply decals on entry and exit? :)

Oh, and are we married to 'green blob' and 'orange blob' as impact effects for capguns?  Capship battles have much more impact substituting proper explosions.

Offline WMCoolmon

Blob marriage is not legal in the states...so no. :p
-C

Ah, but they're not the SAME blob, so it's probably okay.  :nod:

Wouldn't be possible to make some kind of circular shape decal for beam, with some kind of red glowing, then it would slowly fade to white, to use specially for the type of Slash beam, I can't stop thinking that it looks really nice in the endpart1 Movie, when the Sathanas make capella's sun go supernova. If you remember, the Tiamat corvette shoot a slashing beam to the Deimos, and make a really nice decal (at least, somewhat real).

Offline WMCoolmon

I haven't been able to get decals working at all. I seem to remember that you could have that kind of effect, although in the code it looks like decals are limited to static images. (Somewhere, taylor is having a massive orgy in celebration of this, I'm sure. :p Animated decals could very quickly roast one's computer alive.)

OK but basically, it looks like if you add "-burn" to a decal image, like you might use "-glow", that 'burn' will be used for the amount of time specified by 'burn time'. I'm guessing this burn occurs starting when the decal hits the ship. Unfortunately Bobb's code looks a lot like my code when I think that noone else is going to be looking at it...big blocks of code with virtually no comments whatsoever. :p
-C

While I was testing the fx you linked to, the 'burn' elements never faded.  Is this due to the lack of a burn-time entry in the tables?  It ended up looking like my test Satis was covered in tomatoes.  :)

Thanks, I'll see if I can do something with the slash beam's decals

Offline WMCoolmon

While I was testing the fx you linked to, the 'burn' elements never faded.  Is this due to the lack of a burn-time entry in the tables?  It ended up looking like my test Satis was covered in tomatoes.  :)

Probably
-C