Author Topic: SHINY - MediaVP 3.6.8 Delta  (Read 89522 times)

Offline Steel01

Re: SHINY - MediaVP 3.6.8 Beta
I've been lurking awhile and decided finally to post.
I converted the 3.6.8 beta Media Vp's to DDS to make them run faster. In doing this I found a few problems. Many textures are not 'powers of 2'; I can post a list if wanted. Second, some of the ANI's are running 100+ fps; I don't know if this is a bug or not. Third, mv_effects\effects\red-glow is transparent, as it is in the 3.6.7 VP's.
Also, what is the point of mv_effects\effects\debris03.ani at size 15x11?

Thanks

Edit: Third problem should be mv_effect\MAPS\red-glow. oops  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:26:49 am by Steel01 »
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:welcome:

A list would be nice, although I don't know if anyone has the time to update or re-do the files to fix the errors.

I don't seem to have a red-glow file, but it sounds like a problem taylor found a bit back, where fs2_open couldn't read newer-version TGA files. I think that was fixed in CVS; IrfanView is able to open these files and have them show properly, but save them in a format that fixes the problem. (Just open and re-save as a TGA, oddly enough)

debris03.ani, IIRC, is used for motion debris (Stuff that flies past when the ship is moving). Likely the original set of debris had a level 3 LOD, so the updated version was just resized accordingly so the code wouldn't complain. It should be updated to a 16x16 at least, although I don't think you'd even really notice (or care) at 640x480. Maybe if you had an S3 Sirge or something, it might be useful. :p

If you can upload the converted DDS files I'll go through 'em, I can't promise that I'll use any of them, though - I have a converted set already that's awaiting for me to go through them, so I'll end up using whatever the best versions there are out of what I have, when it looks like I have enough media to make another release worth it. (There are a couple high-poly models that are almost completed, and there are two more that're sitting on my desktop to be added to the next set).
-C

There is a problem in the mv_core.vp v3.6.8 Delta, in the file mv_tech-shp.tbm, the Pegasus Bank Fix entry doesn't have the +nocreate flag, and it should have it......I don't know how this affect really FS2 Campaing....so it's creating an empty entry in MODS, which lead to a crash if the Model selected, in INF where the Ship entry limit is maxed that entry is causing lot of troubles........no it is not really maxed, there is space for 2 more entries I believe.....

Offline Steel01

Working on that list. I will post it when I get it all typed in.

Resaving red-glow with Irfanview made it show up. The Gimp wouldn't read it correctly.  :hopping:

I would be happy to upload the dds files...      If I had a place to upload them to.
If I do upload them, do you want the whole VP's or just the dds files in the correct directory structure?

Edit: I have converted all the ani's to eff's, although that about tripled the size of adv_effects. They all still zip well though. ;)
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

"Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Resaving red-glow with Irfanview made it show up. The Gimp wouldn't read it correctly.  :hopping:
To make it work in Gimp just decompose it into RGB and then recompose it (also into RGB).  When you save it back out it will be a proper TGA, or DDS if you are converting it.  The problem with these files is that the alpha is wrong (well, not technically wrong), where it should be 0xFF for the alpha (fully opaque) it's 0x00 instead (fully transparent).  Gimp doesn't support files with the alpha like that and FS2_Open doesn't support it very well (or at all, tends to vary).  It still has all of the image data though, it just thinks it's transparent, so when you recompose it without the alpha it will work fine.  Basically these files should only be 24-bit TGA and whoever made them wrongly created 32-bit TGA instead.

Offline Steel01

To make it work in Gimp just decompose it into RGB and then recompose it (also into RGB).

I'll have to remember that, thanks.

Offline Steel01

Sorry for double-posting, but this is not related to my last post.

If someone would be willing to host my dds vp's I will upload them.
The sizes of them are:
mv_adveffects: 28.5 MB
mv_effects:      16.7 MB
mv_models:      36.1 MB
mv_textures:    66.4 MB

I am still changing them slightly, so the sizes may change slightly.

The non-power-of-2 texture list is attached. There were also some textures I was not able to batch-convert, a list of those is attached seperatly.

Thanks

Edit: oop's, I missed one. Add mv_adv_effects\effect\explode1 to the non-power-of-2 list. I am also working on a list of the tga's with the messed up alpha channel. so far I just see the nebula's in adv_effects (dneb* and neb*).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:07:42 pm by Steel01 »

Offline Steel01

Is this really triple posting, considering the fact that I waited four days to post again?

I finished the list of the textures with the bad alpha channel. There does not appear to be that many of them. And I guess I won't be uploading those dds vp's since I don't have anywhere to host them. Sorry WMCoolmon.

Edit: updated the txt and posted a few posts down.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 10:58:27 pm by Steel01 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The shinemaps should be almost completely transparent, so those are right.  And the glows really should be DDS anyway, but are at most 24-bit.  They don't need any alpha at all.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Steel01

The shinemaps should be almost completely transparent

Most of the shinemaps I can see parts of, but there are a few that I cannot see anything at all. I guess they aren't supposed to shine.

And the glows really should be DDS anyway, but are at most 24-bit.  They don't need any alpha at all.

In my local vp's, I decomposed and recomposed into rgb those glows and they work fine as far as I can tell.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually they do shine.  They just happen to have an all-0 alpha channel.  This is intentional, because the RGB values dictate shine levels, while alpha controls environmental mapping.  Completely non-reflective maps (as most should be, more or less) will be completely invisible.  The error would be if you came across one that was tga with an alpha channel but was almost totally opaque.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Steel01

Ok, I won't mess with the shinemaps. They are outside of my range of artistic knowledge.
I removed the shinemaps from my badalpha.txt and attached it below.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A few tweaks desired in vp 3.6.8 delta.

While playing with a debug build, I've noticed this "mini-bugs"

1. HTL Hecate is "bigger" than original, so in the begining of Mystery of The Trinity you start inside its hull.

I attach an screenshot of what I say. I would repair it, slightly moving all Herc2 starting positions a bit up. It has no mission balance influence, and the current situation is really ugly.

2. HTL Faustus and Hecate have "Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path" warnings.

Faustus only has one, but Hecate has a lot. I don't know the importance of these warnings. I copy the Faustus one:

Code: [Select]
Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path

Model: science01.pof
Path: $path04
Vertex: 0
Turret model id:16

This probably means the turret was not specified in mv_textures-shp.tbm
File:c:\fs2_open\code\ship\ship.cpp
Line: 8066
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006eb795()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006eb4c7()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 00a3de7a()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006eb613()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006ef96d()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006f014a()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006f49d1()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006f5ce2()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 008bbf8f()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006d3d2b()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006e161f()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 0089668d()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006dff6c()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 00896cac()
    fs2_open_d-P420060123.exe 006e3675()
------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Savino

uhn... in the first post of this topic, the creator says that a new CVS is need to make those files work... but I dont have the slightest idea wht da hell is this!

Can someone put a link or something plz?

By the way... there´s some link that explains how to use lightspeed files?! (milliways in SCP site)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
New CVS builds that is most current WIP version of the game engine can be found from here. They are generally about as stable as the official release builds...

Lightspeeds graphic updates should already be included to the mediavps...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Savino

Thx wanderer it´s all that I needed!!!

But, now I got another problem here... when I hit the exe a screen telling " unrecognize command line parameter -rlm, continue?" appears to me. If I hit ok the game goes on, but takes lots of times until it loads and after de debrefieng the games freeze and the WinXP error screen cames out!! =/

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The -rlm thing is because the -rlm command line became obsolete in later builds because it was turned on for everyone and thus no longer needs a switch.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ranger1

EDIT....NM.  Found what I was looking for.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:43:49 pm by Ranger1 »

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Sorry, your question is a little more general than you probably realize.  Do you mean just lots and lots of stars (a new starfield skybox), in, say, the FS2 campaign?  If so, you should already have it, mv_models comes with it.

Or do you mean, more pretty background nebula, used in many of the newer campaigns?  If so, perhaps you mean Lightspeed's nebula.  I don't know if there's an official place to download it yet, so here's my link:  http://www.qeyleb.net/files/ls_neb.rar  (Extract the vp to your main Freespace 2 folder.  If you can't open RAR, go get http://www.izarc.org/ or http://www.7-zip.org/)

Aloha!

This here is my first post and I wanted to start by congratulating all of you talented folks working on this project.  Everything I've seen so far is excellent, and you all deserve a ton of acclaim and thanks for your work.

That being said, I'm hoping one of you genius mastermind folks knows how to fix my problem.  I know earlier in this thread, someone listed a "turretangle" issue, and I seem to be running into the same thing.

Code: [Select]
ERROR: "mv_turretangle-shp.tbm(line 7: Error: Missing required token: [+delay:]. Found [+relative_angle:
90,180,0]  in ship: GTB Medusa instead." at parse/parselo.cpp:629

My problem is that the prescribed fix was to remove the patches from the 3.6.7 VPs.  Unfortunately, I never had the 3.6.7s at all.  I've just installed everything fresh, with a brand-spanking new executable compiled from CVS, and the 3.6.8delta VPs.

I can run the game if I remove the mv_core.vp, but that's obviously not a particularly desirable fix.  I also managed to get it running with the 3.6.7 mv_core.vp, but as previously mentioned all over the dang place, mixing versions can be (and has been) problematic.

Is there something I'm missing here?