Author Topic: A "carrier"  (Read 10755 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Wow Axem goes 2in1 !!!

Great model and an innovative idea.  :yes:

I'd be honored to texture it for you. :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Axem

It'll get one flak turret, which is more meant to protect the control tower than the rest of the... "ship." Protection is provided by cruisers or the fighter wings stationed on it (That's how its going to be in a campaign I'm making this for ;) ). If there's enough people who want one that could be dropped off as a mini command center, I could make a variant with a bit more in the defense department.

Anyway updated pic. It's almost done. I want to add a radar dish on top, 'cause I like spinny things. :D I also changed the top hangar so it doesn't look like I stole the front end of an Omega Destroyer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/tdp5.jpg

Poly count... well, it's pretty damn good if you use a base 8000 counting system. The model is horribly unoptimized and there's a few things I want to take out. And I'm using this as an exercise to discover different ways of adding detail and greebling. I hope to have it around 5k when its all done (Which means if you use the high poly Triton you get a 9000 poly carrier).

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Pretty awesome. Good job.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Sweet. Where are all the polies coming from tho?
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Sweet. Where are all the polies coming from tho?

bevels cost alot. thats why ragarok has 15000. infact they cost so much you could probibly make a second lod by just simply removing them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I used to make the mistake of bevelling the surface itself rather than simply creating a bevelled part and putting it on top, that used to eat a helluva lot of polies :(

Offline Axem

Yeah, I went on a bevelling binge, it really took off. I recovered though. I took away most of the subtle extrusions and bevelling, and cleaned the model up the best I could.

Poly count is now 5700, which I'll take. I'll force myself to make a sub 300 poly turret and keep the whole LOD0 under 6k. I tried using the Triton turret, but its a bit too big and too high poly. I like making turrets anyway. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/tdp6.jpg

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea i used to make prefab turrets and plan to use them on everything, but i like making them so much that i never used em :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Does the Capship AI, when set to defending another Capship, attempt to shoot down bombs and missiles headed for the ship it is defending? If so, I see that as still being a perfectly workable practice.

Capships attempt to shoot down any bomb that passes through their engagement area. I know this from playing "Into The Maelstrom" and noting that the NTF bombers would launch from outside the convoy at a ship on the other side, but the ships on the near side would shoot at the bombs.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Turrets give priority to bombs. There was a big discussion about this on Mantis. :D
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im curious if the ai prioritizes bombs based on type or warhead yield. im curious cause i have a decoy bomb that launches little submunitions that overwealm the turrets. fighters launch them to assist in a ragnarok missile strike. more warheads get through the turret screen. while they apear to work, im curious if the ai is smart enough to shoot down the nukes instead.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
im curious if the ai prioritizes bombs based on type or warhead yield. im curious cause i have a decoy bomb that launches little submunitions that overwealm the turrets. fighters launch them to assist in a ragnarok missile strike. more warheads get through the turret screen. while they apear to work, im curious if the ai is smart enough to shoot down the nukes instead.

Pilots in World War 2 knew how to use decoys to confuse enemy defence, and how to use tactical strikes to strip important targets of their defence assets, but that's not going to slow the Command down! Damn those century-old traditions, we're living in the Beam Age SEND IN THE CANNON FODDER
lol wtf

Offline Axem

Mega-super-ultra-because-its-my-thread-bump!

Because I, and I'm sure lots of other people, don't want to see this fade away into the abyss of time and eventual hard drive crashes, I hereby release an unfinished, partially UV mapped "fighterbay in a cargo container."

Included is the ship in 3ds format, wings format, and the UV map for the turret, spires and radar dish. I added detailed interiors to the fighter bays to make use of subobject lodding. Without them it stands at 6300 polys, with the detailed bays on its 10,000. If you want to modify it a bit, to optimize it or fix an error, that's fine.

Have fun UV mappers and texturers!

http://www.game-warden.com/narfin/models/TDP.rar

Nice  :)

I'm getting some strong vibes from it.. Use it as the forward section of a bigger carrier.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

I could see one of these docked to a larger ship as a second fighterbay XD

Oh God, Axem, you should keep going and make "accessories" for other ships as well! Like something to stick on a Deimos class or something :D What next, a Mjolnir modified to fit in a Triton nice and snuggly? :) This is reminding me of that thingy someone made that stuck into the hole in the middle of an Arcadia to give it more firepower.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I just want to see this for it's intended purpose... if I can figure out how to finish and UV map it...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
A Chronos / Ma'at mountable fighterbay would be quite handy for TVW bods, I'm imagine.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Chronos might be a bit small, you have to figure that an Ursa barely fits between the cockpit and thruster mount on that thing.

Well I've thrown something together ah-hock for the moment with bits and pieces of my collection, I really like the bays on the original model
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Shodan_AI/enterprise1.jpg

I'm starting to play around with UVing the original model. The beveled sections shouldn't be too hard to do, piece by piece. Although, it's going to take a while

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I'm going to try and make one for its original use, a Triton carrier module, but if somone who knows what they're doing will try, it will go a lot faster.

How do you do the fancy thing with LODs so the fighterbay isn't always so high-poly?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:21:42 pm by Mars »