Author Topic: High-poly Zephyrus  (Read 12699 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
This.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:05:00 am by WMCoolmon »
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Something that'll never get worked on any furt
I'm guessing that the polycount on that thing is already too high for a game model with just one side modeled, isn't it.

Looks awesome though.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
if attached to the main model, and mirrored... 19090 polies.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Re: Something that'll never get worked on any further.
What? I'm confused. That doesn't look very high-poly in that picture, at all.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Bastard. I was gonna work on that next. In fact I had come up with some great optomizations for it; specifically, you don't need to render all the parts of the tubes in the middle, and secondly, you should use alpha-mapped girders around the outside.

It looks like you haven't done much except a basic tech test (which is what I've done) but I can get the same job done and look just as good with 10% of that polycount.

Tell ya what, leave it to me. I'll do it. :rolleyes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I... had no intention of actually doing ths one... Hence the title... so be my guest. Pottymouth :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, yeah, but now you've started the discussion.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
What? I'm confused. That doesn't look very high-poly in that picture, at all.

Look very closely at the pink parts on the left side of the picture.  Having all of that modeled sends the polycount through the roof; that one section is all that's been touched and the thing is already at 20k polygons.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
well, in fairness, it's only 10k for that one side. the other sie combined brought it to 20k...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:eek2:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
's fun to mess aound when there's no real constraints. Cutscene-like models here! >..>

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
 ;7

You know with set-ship-model you might actually be able to use that model for a cutscene...
-C

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Mmmmmmmmm I like it.

So is the 20k polies LOD really that bad for performace?

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
tre sexi
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
;7

You know with set-ship-model you might actually be able to use that model for a cutscene...

Uh-oh... :nervous: I'm afraid to see how long it'd take to convert to a pof... or even worse, to create an index buffer.

Mmmmmmmmm I like it.

So is the 20k polies LOD really that bad for performace?

Oh the model has way more than that now... and it's not really worth it. If anything I'd just rebuild it from scratch. I wanted to anyway... >..> 

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
This is kinda fun... but I'm still gonna o it over from scratch, ince this is killing my system >..>

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Don't delete it though.

I have a plan(tm).

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
What sort of plan™?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Stop that! I said I was gonna try it.

Say, if you have any custom textures (like extracted maps for the gas tanks) I'd like to use them.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Uh-oh... :nervous: I'm afraid to see how long it'd take to convert to a pof... or even worse, to create an index buffer.

Yeah...we really need an editor that supports an IBX chunk.

::looks at Kazan::
-C