Author Topic: TBL Editor  (Read 20514 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Well, I've nothing to do these day so I began to make some sort of easy friendly program for those who encounter difficulties with tbl files, or prefer to use some graphic interface to make their tbl files.
The program will need the .NET framework 1.1 to work properly.

Here the GUI I made, it's not definitive. Perhaps I should remake the GUI. I don't know when it will be done.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Wow that looks really nice so far. :D
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline neoterran

damn ! you stole my idea !  :lol:

you should really consider making it use the framework 2.0, it's much better performing.
And the IDE for it (visual studio express 2k5) is free.

Also consider that using 2.0 means that when vista comes out, anything using 2.0 framework will automatically work without a framework install, since the 2.0 version is built into the OS.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
damn ! you stole my idea !  :lol:

you should really consider making it use the framework 2.0, it's much better performing.
And the IDE for it (visual studio express 2k5) is free.

Also consider that using 2.0 means that when vista comes out, anything using 2.0 framework will automatically work without a framework install, since the 2.0 version is built into the OS.

Hmm, I never know the Visual Studio 2005 use the framework 2.0. Actually I use the VS 2003, but I can use the 2005 (just need to install it). But unfortunately I don't want to put the Service Pack 1 or 2 for WinXP :D I've got a lot of trouble in the past. Overwhere, in a few month (I think somewhere in July 2006), I'll buy a new spec and so I could put the Service Pack 2.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Features you may want to include:

-The ability to edit modular table files
-An ability for the program to read its fields and formats from a build of FSO, so its almost self-updating.  This also means that someone could tell it to select even retail FS2, and it would list only the correct options.
-The ability to recognize and notify the user of debug errors, when it comes to certain table fields.  Obviously some require comparing the table entry to the model file, so you wouldn't need to include that entire feature.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline neoterran

Dude, you're just asking for trouble by not running any service packs on windows xp. It's completely insecure. I know for a fact I can run malicious code on your system right now. You should really consider adding service pack 2 and patching yourself completely up (there are 100 hotfixes on my SP2 machine)
Chief Grognard.

No, you can have a Firewall, even so the wormhole is still there but it is blocked...

There is a big problem with XP - Service Pack 2, I may be not too accurate, but Microsoft blocked and limited the Internet traffic on a XP SP2 to just 8 connections simmultaneusly, this is a living death for most people using P2P programs (ex: the infamous and worthless Kazaa)...not to talk about people who use it's machine as a server, I think there was an unlicenced or unufficial patch going around in order to break this limitation...(Microsoft say: "We did it again", we f****d a lot of users)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:14:18 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

Well, that's hardly an excuse to not upgrade to SP2, where you gain Data Execution Prevention on all your system files, a bidirection firewall, and numerous, numerous security and stability fixes, not to mention performance improvements.

If you're that concerned about 10 half-open connections limit (torrents ? lol) then you can simply use this patcher http://www.lvllord.de/

Imagine you work at Microsoft : People ***** and complain about how insecure and problematic your software is, and when you release a service pack (that is time tested, btw, it's 2 years old) people refuse to upgrade to it and continue to blame you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:16:31 am by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Nice work a TBL editor like this would be really useful... :)

-----------------------------------------------

I have the Service Pack 2 from the moment the Update was available at Microsoft website (and for me I would have a Vista beta), however that's not what I meant, I mean trusting Microsoft could lead any user to a certain PC catastrophe, they usually made the fixes because of a user who already paid for the program has to go complain and end making a report. Not only that but the worst case may come were a 3rd party company was having a certain problem which really affected them, and as Microsoft was too busy, they decided to make the patch by themselves, of course with Microsoft "go ahead, but your souls will be ours", those companies later submit the fix to Microsoft and get nothing from it, after all the complications they have for do the work that Microsoft was supposed to do...

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Features you may want to include:

-An ability for the program to read its fields and formats from a build of FSO, so its almost self-updating.  This also means that someone could tell it to select even retail FS2, and it would list only the correct options.

I don't really understand this point. (Sorry my english isn't very top) If I understand correctly, te program allow to users to select a format for FSO or the retail FS2, right ?
When you said self-updating, you mean to auto-format the Fs2 retail tbl to a FsO tbl ? 

Edit : I have an hardware firewall.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The big problem you're going to have is keeping this thing up to date. I've got no problem with posting details of any table changes I make so that you can add them as soon as (or even possibly before) they hit CVS but if you're not committed to supporting the changes the editor is quickly going to become buggy or obsolete when working with the latest table files.

That said I do like this idea so I fully support it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The big problem you're going to have is keeping this thing up to date. I've got no problem with posting details of any table changes I make so that you can add them as soon as (or even possibly before) they hit CVS but if you're not committed to supporting the changes the editor is quickly going to become buggy or obsolete when working with the latest table files.

Could you by any chance to post those changes to me too? To be added to various tables in FSwiki... Ofcourse feel free to add those on your own... its just pretty boring and sometimes difficult to figure out the effects of table options just be reading the cvs code (especially as i dont really understand c/c++)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I haven't as yet had to change anything in the tables (my changes are confined to the mission file so far). If I do I'll try keep the wiki updated.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

Okay, I see what you mean.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That's basically what I was getting at.  I was hoping that the editor would be able to read a build of FSO that the user has selected as their build of choice, and then out of that, read what table fields are or aren't supported, and display those fields in the editor.  This way, if new feilds and features become available, you don't have to update the editor itself, you just change the FSO build that its reading its features from.  You'd need to be familiar with FSO CVS though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
That's basically what I was getting at.  I was hoping that the editor would be able to read a build of FSO that the user has selected as their build of choice, and then out of that, read what table fields are or aren't supported, and display those fields in the editor.  This way, if new feilds and features become available, you don't have to update the editor itself, you just change the FSO build that its reading its features from.  You'd need to be familiar with FSO CVS though.

Is there any tuto about reading an executable and more precisely the fields we want ? I've never done something similar.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I've actually wanted a nice GUI table editor for a while.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Well, actually the GUI looks like that (For now, he can read the ships.tbl and put all the ships into the list) :

Offline neoterran

I like the MDI Interface.
Chief Grognard.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nice.  Hurry up and finish so that I can download it!  ;)