Author Topic: Those little asterisks on the comm menu  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Those little asterisks on the comm menu
While helping a new FS player out with a singleplayer-related question on another forum, I was asked exactly what the asterisks that sometimes appear next to certain commands on the comm menu (as seen here) actually mean.  After thinking about it for a little while...I realize that I don't even know myself. :p So, could anyone enlighten the both of us?

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
Re: Those little asterisks on the comm menu
It means those commands can be issued to only certain wings, but not everywing in the battle area.  For example, if you're doing a joint mission with some Vasudans, you have command of your Terran wings, but the Vasudans are not in your chain of command, so you can't give them orders.  Make sense?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Perfect sense.  Thanks. :)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
How do you set ships outside your command chain in FRED, anyway? And I mean the whole shebang; can't futz with their loadout, can't give them orders, they're completely seperate but on your team.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
How do you set ships outside your command chain in FRED, anyway? And I mean the whole shebang; can't futz with their loadout, can't give them orders, they're completely seperate but on your team.

I believe that you go into the ship editor, go to initial status, and check the "locked" box.

However, I'm too lazy to test it. work it out on your own.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just set their wing names to ones that aren't used by FS (which themselves can be set in the mission specs editor) and turn off all their player orders.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just set their wing names to ones that aren't used by FS (which themselves can be set in the mission specs editor) and turn off all their player orders.

That's the quickest way.

Turey is indeed correct about locking however as that will allow you to prevent even ships in Alpha, Beta and Gamma wing being armed. Basically you use whichever one is better for the situation you're in.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Excellent, ta. That's been a thorn in my side for quite a while, now all I need to do is work up the motivation to continue working on it...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
While helping a new FS player out with a singleplayer-related question on another forum

Which forum?  I notice he's playing FS1. :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The Descent Bulletin Board, actually.  He's made a few other threads in the same subforum about it; I believe he's finished FS1 and moved on to FS2.