Author Topic: How to transfer player files?  (Read 2306 times)

How to transfer player files?
I've been playing FS2 on my parent's computer but I'm going back to college now and I need to move my save game files... what needs to be transferred?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: How to transfer player files?
Transfer the contents of Data\Players and you should get everything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I would recommend all of the Data folder actually... and make sure if you used any mods that you also get those. Remember that your stats are saved by ship entry number over actual name... if you play a mod that doesnt use all entries, it'll distort them a bit and, for example, killing 100 loki might turn into killing 100 Apollo. Little quarky stuff like that...

Anyways all of your data folder is recommended, the entire Players folder is required. Burn discs if you have the MediaVP's as they take a very long time to download.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you've been playing mods you'll need to back up their folders. If you haven't data\Players should be enough.

You shouldn't have anything else in your data folder that requires back up in the first place so there is no reason to back up the rest of the folder.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Its more of a recommendation; some mods are a bit unclear on exactly how to install, especially for those who don't include proper readme's. I was confused about how the "-mod" worked; only lately that I realized that using this command basically uses the Mod folder to lay-over on the default root directory; thus why we need to have the same file-structure in Data as in Mod\Data...

Anyways, backup both JIC (just in case).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Anyways, backup both JIC (just in case).

Backing up data\cache is about as useless as possible. data\player is the way to go.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
1) install FS2 on your computer
2) delete FS2 on your computer (do not uninstall, just delete everything in the FS2 directory)
3) copy/paste the contents of FS2 on your parents computer and put on your computer

If like me, and your FS2 directory is over 5 1/2gb, then do it the other people's way.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Freespace takes up quite a bit of space on my drive too. Anyways it would be easier you just moved the data folder and all mods... good luck?  :lol:

I am talking about some older mods that want you to put stuff directly in your root files... with my old OEM-version of Freespace, I decided to make that a option and add-in a folder called OEM so I could play that version if necessary.