Author Topic: Troubleshooting Guide  (Read 48223 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Troubleshooting Guide
Trying to track down and resolve technical problems on your computer is, undeniably, one of life's most frustrating experiences. To help you through the process, I've compiled a list of common problems users experienced with Wing Commander Saga Prologue so far.

No Sound

There is something wrong with your OpenAL install.  Check X:\Windows\system32 for ct_oal.dll and nvopenal.dll. (X stand for your system partition). If you find them, delete them. Then install OpenAL 1.1

If that doesn't work, copy the openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files from their system32 directory directly into the game directory. 

Launcher/Game fails to start

This is most likely related to the No Sound issue.

Low framerate in missions Demo01-Demo03

Try installing Asteroid Field Performance Fix.

Error: Could not load WarpMap01 anim file!

Try updating your GPU drivers. Make sure you run the game in OpenGL mode.

Error: Could not load in ChoosePilot-m!

640x480 and 800x600 resolutions are not supported. Most systems should be able to have decent performance on the default resolution setting.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Re: Troubleshooting Guide
Hello,

I've been trying to install the prologue. Though I allways get the following error after downloading and trying to run the setup. "Error reading setup instalization file". I've tried downloading from diffrent mirrors thinking It was a corrupted download.

Any ideas?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Try updating Windows Installer.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Re: Troubleshooting Guide (Joystick Problem)
Hello there,

well, this is my first post and I hope I wont get slaped right away. I searched the forum but I didn't quite find a solution fitting to my problem.
So, I hope you may be able to help me out. (Excuse me for my pitiful english ... )

The systems I use are a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro and I use the Saitek Cyborg EVO (USB) joystick. Binding the keys and axises of the joystick works just fine and the keys work within the game, too. But the default steering direction is always to the left (even if I don't touch the joystick).
Same problem on both machines (MacOSX 10.4.5 and 10.4.8 )

I learned from this forum the windows version has some kind of launcher with an option to calibrate the joystick and so I tend to ask if there is an "hidden" option to calibrate the joystick within the mac os x version, too ?

Did I just miss it ?

I also tried to use third-party tools like the game companion or the usb overdrive x which both resulted in an unoperational joystick (neither steering nor buttons)...

Maybe someone finds some time to see to it ...

thx in advance

S.

PS: Oh, I forgot to mention : The joystick is alright - it works just fine with other progs and the old originals in parallels desktop ;-) !

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:05:01 am by Sennanio »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have that same stick myself, and I've experienced the same thing before.  Have you tried moving the stick fully left/right/up/down?  That should activate the auto-calibration and get it to stop drifting.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The calibrate option in the launcher simply takes you to the Windows control panel. It's not doing thing particularly FS2_Open related.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well, how embarrassing - I didn't know about an auto-calibration feature but it worked out the way you predicted.

Thanx a lot ... I really appreciate your help !

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No problem. :) I wouldn't have known about it myself if I hadn't come across it in the manual while installing the stick.

Just installed this and I'm dead excited as I love the Wing Commander games. I'm running tis on a Mac Pro with a 512MB Graphics Card with 3Gb RAM (yeah I know, show off). Anyway the in game graphics are pants. The Nebulas all look like mismatched squares and don't seem to join. the passing stars look like sugar cubes. The large ships all look jagged.....whats going on?!?! What have I done??

:eek2:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I can't tell you, as I have very little mac experience :(

You could ask here though.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline venom30

No Sound

If that doesn't work, copy the openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files from their system32 directory directly into the game directory.

already tried that but it didnt help. and when i start the game (after it finishes with loading. the screen flackers and i can t see anything accept collers and stripes
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:05:03 pm by venom30 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What are your system specs Venom30?

Offline venom30

athlon 2200+
512mb ram
ati radeon 9200 128mb

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
and the sound card? Mainboard?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline venom30

sound ist onboard ,yes

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Are you running in D3D mode or OpenGL? Run the launcher.exe program and go to the video tab if you don't know.

Hey, another problem. My computer has a tendency to freeze up and crash at certain points. Notably, in the fourth campaign mission (kilrathi), it freezes when as Alpha flight approaches the Wellington Nav point. And sometimes during the simulator missions, it will crash as well. Playing the torpedo run mission, it crashed when I was bearing towards a freighter 2000m away that exploded. Since it has a tendency to crash when ships explode and I'm looking at them, I'm guessing it means my computer can't hack it. I have a new computer but the video card is just the one which came with the computer, I can play a game like Doom3 but other games complain my video card sucks and won't run (ie Dawn of War). Except for the crashing I don't have any other performance issues (no lag or anything).

Hi, i can't install the prologue. The setup doesn't react anymore after trying to extract a file (.msi?), so i have to stop the setup in the taskmanager. I tried this with firewall antivir off, had the same result.
PC is Athlon2000+, AtiX700 256MB, 768MB Ram, WinXP, Soundonboard

Any ideas?

Regards from Tom Cologne/Germany

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Give the setup routine some time. It takes several minutes to extract the msi package from the exe file.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Jep, give it a LONG time. I started it three times before I realized that it takes that long.... :rolleyes:

-Aginor
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."