Author Topic: Beam sound problems  (Read 2446 times)

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
For my campaign I'm creating a fighter laser weapon based on a beam (because I'm going for correct physics, that's the only way to create a real laser). Current idea is to make fire rate and lifetime the same (short) period so the laser is firing as long as the player is pressing the fire button. This works very fine except one issue I'm unable to solve.

With the short lifetime and no warmup/-down-time, there's no need for a warmup/-down-sound. I already have a sound to create a constant loop for the beam, but no matter what I do, every shot uses the beam_shot1.wav. Obviously, this sounds weird, having the constant sound and additionally the beam_shot1. Hell, even if I set every part in the table that creates a sound to the empty.wav I hear beam_shot1.

Anyone an idea what's the reason for this or how to solve the problem?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I ran across the exact same problem a couple of months ago. No fix as far as I know. :(
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

My solution if I had to do such:

Remove that beam sound from the Sound tables. That way, no beam shot sound. If you still want big beam sounds, use a sound editing tool to insert that beam shot sound into the end of the charge sound and time things right in the tables and its done.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Well, thx, that works.  :D

The big beam sounds need some work now, but that's just simple work. I should be able to change the sound files the way I want them to be.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Did you add "steam" to your weapons' flags?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
'stream'...

Anyway i reported this to Mantis
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Just tested it with stream. Doesn't change anything, the sound is still there. Seems to be hardcoded.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yeah... the sound thing is hardcoded

Definantly, so use the workarounds :P
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Actually it may yet get fixed if it is found to be a bug.