Author Topic: The FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 6184 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The FreeSpace Open Installer
http://www.fsoinstaller.com
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

Will WCS Prologue & eventually WCS support the Installer?
If so, when?

:D :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: The FreeSpace Open Installer
http://www.fsoinstaller.com
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

Will WCS Prologue & eventually WCS support the Installer?
If so, when?

:D :)

I'd be glad to include the Prologue in the Installer. However, I don't know enough about how the Prologue works to put it in myself.

If someone more knowledgeable about WCS would like to put it in, they can do so here.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Wing Commander Saga is completely stand alone and it comes with an installer. Why would you want to include it into the FS Open installer?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
it is fine with me as long it refers to our download page (e.g. www.wcsaga.com mirror) :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Should be possible, I think that is what happens when the FSOpen Installer asks if you want the OpenAL drivers; it opens the d'l site for OpenAL IIRC.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, you could link the file directly and launch windows installer as soon as the download is finished :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yes, true... I guess you mean that you want the d'l link to point to the file on the wcsaga site?

Anyways, I think you should go to the www.fsoinstaller.com site and see if you can set it up.  :D

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Should be possible, I think that is what happens when the FSOpen Installer asks if you want the OpenAL drivers; it opens the d'l site for OpenAL IIRC.

OpenAL = special.

well, you could link the file directly and launch windows installer as soon as the download is finished :)

There's no way in hell I'm allowing the Installer to remotely execute files. Not that I don't trust you all with an EXEC command, but still...  :nervous:
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
There is no way in hell I am altering the way Prologue is distributed. I do like windows installer.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
There is no way in hell I am altering the way Prologue is distributed. I do like windows installer.

I'm not saying you should. Instead, it should probably just download the WCS installer to a directory, then tell the user, "If you want WCS, run the installer in that folder."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
that was actually what I suggested. You might have misread my comment

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Update: Turey has made it possible for TC mods to use his installer, without having to load any part of FS2...
Total Conversion Groups/Anyone who might want a customized Online Installer - Simply by creating a minimum of four text files, you can have your own customized Online Installer/Updater, which you will have complete control over (It doesn't have to interact with FSOInstaller.com in any way). It's an easy way to avoid a patching nightmare!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Update: Turey has made it possible for TC mods to use his installer, without having to load any part of FS2...
Total Conversion Groups/Anyone who might want a customized Online Installer - Simply by creating a minimum of four text files, you can have your own customized Online Installer/Updater, which you will have complete control over (It doesn't have to interact with FSOInstaller.com in any way). It's an easy way to avoid a patching nightmare!

Actually, the whole reason I did that was because the BtRL demo needed an updater, and subjecting Hunter to that number of downloads would have been cruel. The fact that I can easily adapt it to other TCs is just a side effect.  :)

EDIT: If you want to see the re-branded BtRL Demo Updater, you can check it out (and the four text files it uses) here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:50:44 am by Turey »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sorry for a bit of a necro, but I'd just like to point something out.  The windows installer for WCS is great, but only for windows users.  Anyone on mac or linux, who would otherwise meet all the requirements to run the game, as the game is cross-platform, are currently being prevented due to the installation method.  It's more of a shame really, and that's the beauty of Turey's install, it's cross-platform.  I'm aware that maintaining two installers would be a PITA, but I just wanted to point out that it would be nice if the WCS could find a way to be more cross-platform friendly.  Even if it were just offered as a plain compressed archive as well as an installer, so the archive could be uncompressed by either the user manually or by Turey's installer.  Just my $0.02.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
there is a MacOS installer available

-WC Saga's beta tester