Author Topic: Missing Mission Loading Screens  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Darius

Missing Mission Loading Screens
Ok, this is a problem which I've had before, but now it seems to have reared its ugly head again. Is there any way for custom mission loading images to show up while the pictures themselves are in a VP? I've had them show up fine before, but that was because I was using my Freespace 2/data/missions as a working folder to store them. Now that I've packed my campaign up nice and proper and cleared my missions folder they don't seem to show up anymore.

Pics are JPG btw, which didn't prevent them from showing up before when jpg/tga flag was enabled.

EDIT: Bugger. Could some kind mod please move this to the FRED section?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:24:27 am by Darius »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Missing Mission Loading Screens
In which folder of the VP did you put them in?

I've never done it myself but Raider Wars kept it's loading screens in the Interface folder. I'd be somewhat surprised if they loaded from missions as I can easily imagine that the game filters that folder and only accepts .fs2 and .fc2 files.

That said I'd expect the same thing to be done to the loose files in Data\Missions too
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Darius

Heh. I was always under the impression that it didn't matter which folder the files were in, so long they were in either the data or the root Freespace folder. Maybe the rules change once they're in a VP. *shrug*

I don't mind releasing it without mission loading screens, if people want they can extract them as loose files.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FreeSpace2\data\missions

should =

mod.vp/data/missions
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:12:08 pm by jr2 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually jr2, if you'll notice, in the VPView app, when you look at the tree, everything in the vp is usually underneath the folder called data.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.... try that on the Retail .VPs  :p  I did notice... but, if you notice different, then does it make a difference?  Or is it just cosmetic?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What are you smoking?  All I'm saying is that in the VPs, all the files are under the folder data.  Which is where they belong.  So \data is _not_ left out of VP files, and Freespace2\data\missions is the same as mod.vp/data/missions, according to your scheme.  That's all I meant to say.  So, theoretically, you can have a VP with files in it for a folder other than data, although I don't see much point to that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:p I will post screenies when I get home.  ;)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Anyway Darius, did you have any luck with this yet?  There was another thread with some tips on this.  I'd try getting them to work as PCX, Hunter was having some trouble with these last night too but got it working finally using 256 color pcx.  Then try other types (I'd try uncompressed DDS next).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh... :nervous:  chief, you were right... on the left hand pane it doesn't have \data\, but the actual pathname is \data\<leftpanename>...

EDIT: Fixx0red my n00bish post.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I WIN BROTHAH, ONE TO NOTHING, BOOYAH!

Ok really though, it's cool, no problem, I just had the vp viewer open right in front of me as I made the posts, so I was really looking forward to seeing yours be different.  Guess that'd have been some sort of weird bug.

Offline Darius

Anyway Darius, did you have any luck with this yet?  There was another thread with some tips on this.  I'd try getting them to work as PCX, Hunter was having some trouble with these last night too but got it working finally using 256 color pcx.  Then try other types (I'd try uncompressed DDS next).

Sorry, haven't been paying much attention to this thread. I'll give the PCX a try, and if it doesn't work, DDS. I'm just baffled why jpg/tga was working perfectly until I packed it into a VP.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Oh, that might be related to the path search order issue, it's fixed in versions after 3.6.9 though.  May not be the same bug, but now that you I think about it, maybe it is.  Either way, hope something works for you.