Author Topic: Multiplayer Needs You!  (Read 3363 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Multiplayer Needs You!

To become a multiplayer host!

We only usually have one game going on a week, and want to make multiplayer a more frequent thing. Many of our hosts have school and work, and now that summer's over, they are gone. If you want to become a multiplayer host, sign up here.

See the calendar here.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Multiplayer Needs You!
It's good to spread the word, but what we really need are not so much new hosts/games, just more people each weekend.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
My internet is far too pathetic for anything related to multiplayer.  I can only get RTS games to work without dying of Lag Poisining.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
How much bandwidth, in KB/s, does the average client use?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Speaking of multiplayer...where'd lilbigman and mepis go? I got into the fs multiplayer like a couple of weeks ago, and sometimes me and Dalvin run a server. Sometimes we get other people to play with us. The main difficulty was the forwarding port 7808 so that we could see our game pop up on the fs2 netgameviewer (the port forwarding instructions should be re-worded, not everything is a linksys router(instructions found in the multiplayer board)).  The only major problem me and Dalvin had was the fact me and him are on the same network. Whenever trying to do 3 player, me and dalvin on the same network and someone else in another part of the world, it'll say that there's an identical user already in the room. Regardless of whether me and Dalvin are on someone elses server or trying to play someone else on ours. It's obviously an ip address thing that's causing the problem. But, we don't really know how to fix that. Each computer has different ip addresses. Maybe it's the router ip address causing a problem?

Anyway, it's nice how the multiplayer is actually easy to setup now. Minus the last problem i mentioned where 2 people on the same network want to play against other people at the same time :nod:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep, that problem is caused by you both having the same IP address and using the same port. You can try using the force local port option in the launcher but you're basically on your own trying that as we don't support use of that option. 7808 is the port all FS2 traffic should be on officially.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK, try this (don't know if it would work, DW-H was in too much of a hurry to get playing to try it > :p <)

Find your buddy's IP address in your local network (his computer's IP address that the router assigned for internal use).  eg, 192.168.10.137 is mine.  Now, (this is if your buddy is hosting, otherwise find your IP address and have him do this) you put the IP address in the manual IP list in the F2 screen.  Connect to him while he's hosting.  Have everyone else try and see if you're listed on FS2NetGV.  If not, find your external IP (the one that's public to the Internet; your Router's IP) and have everyone else put that in their manual IP list in the F2 screen.  I'm not sure this will work, but I had my bro connected to my computer, and was a minute away from finding out if others could join.  :(

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
where'd mepis go?
He hosted last night, but we waited for 20 minutes and no one came. Shade hosted a game, though.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Me and dalvin are on a hispeed cable modem. I don't know the connection speed exactly, but it is very fast (i think it's like 512kbps or something faster). He's got a good connection. So the problem is that me and dalvin are on the same default gateway? Or just the fact that we're both in the same ip address network (he's a 192.168.0.100, and i'm a 192.168.0.101).  I guess i could see if his ****ty router will let me change the ip address for the interface that i use on it, that would probably fix the problem (his router sucks).

There was one way me and dalvin got into a game with 3 people. It was dalvin vs. mepis. And dalvin was using the joystick and stuff, and i was on the keyboard. It was like he was flying with intelligent voice commands and automatic operating secondary functions. I mean, me strengthening his shield quadrants while he was flying around put an extra edge on the gameplay. As fun as that was, we'd prefer to have more than two players, i guess on friday we'll try again with some different things so we can get more people in there. Also, we theorize that vista may be the problem, we tried having the linux machine as the server, but that had problems with the filenames of the missions, besides that, i bet running the server on an xp or linux machine would fix the problem.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK, try putting (if Dalvin is hosting) 192.168.0.100 as the manual IP address for your connection to him.  If you're hosting, have him put 192.168.0.101 as the manual IP address.

Now, for the rest of the instructions... after you have done the above, have other ppl try to connect to you via FS2NetD.  If they can't, then I need to know the make & model # of your router (the device that both of your computers' Ethernet cables plug into) so I can look up instructions for you on forwarding port UDP 7808... you may also need to do something else, we'll see.  What time Friday were you planing on testing, and what is your time zone?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Go to 192.168.0.1, that should take you to your router settings.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
we've already gotten port 7808 forwarded, otherwise if we didn't we learned that our game wouldn't pop up in the fs2netgameviewer. Yeah i know how to access the router setup. I just recently don't have time today to do any troubleshooting. The other good thing is that i at least have my lovely desktop hooked up for once, and am not stuck on a ****ty laptop for multiplayer.

Thx for the help. I'll come back to this thread on like friday (alaska time) and start doing some troubleshooting then :)

EDIT: Here we go, it's friday, and a good day for some minor fs2 trouble shooting. I've gotten fs2 onto my computer for once running opensuse. And as opposed to running an fs2 server with kubuntu which didn't want to work, i was able to start one with no problem in opensuse. I'll be using a linux server to see if vista is the problem. Most people around here don't use vista for fs, and all i can say is you don't want to have vista when running fs. It's much better suited to xp, and selecting xp compatibility mode in vista doesn't do **** for the game functioning better either (keeps having a C++ ctd error in multiplayer in vista).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:28:57 pm by S-99 »

SMBFD

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
One question comes to mind. Are you using a binary for 3.6.9 or did you simply check the code out of CVS and build it yourself?

Cause if you're using a recent build or CVS checkout the reason no one can see you probably has to do with the fact that 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 can't see each other as they run on different versions of FS2NetD.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
There are 3 computers in use over here. Kubuntu, which was only good for joining fs2 games, vista which was the main server that was having the C++ ctd error while being a server, and then opensuse which is being completely fine with fs2 multi. I'm just using the straight up 3.6.9 binaries for linux and windows. Either way i got rid the vista being the server crashing while being the server by making my machine the server. Next thing i'm going to test is to see is the next problem on my list.

SMBFD