Author Topic: Nvidia GPU users: Avoid Forceware 169.xx series  (Read 14650 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Nvidia GPU users: Avoid Forceware 169.xx series
As probably most of you already know, Forceware 169.xx driver series have texture corruption issues with FS2_Open. Depending on the exact GPU, OS, ship model and used textures you can get:

• A chess-board misplacement effect over the textures.
  • Textures replaced by a set of white and black stripes.

Avoid these driver series. So you can:

• Use old good 163.75. (These drivers don't work with newest G92 chips or similar. Don't use them on 8800GT, 8800GTS 512 or 9xxx cards).
  • Update to freshly published 174.74.

(Maybe any administrator should make this post sticky, so no more people complain about it).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:18:21 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Nvidia GPU users: Avoid Forceware 169.xx series
I use 160.02 Quadro drivers on my 7600GT. They have thus far worked pretty much ideally at least compared to any recent drivers actually designed for GeForce cards. :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Minor detail being that AFAIK users of new cards using G92 or newer chips - like newer GTS 8800 series cards - shouldn't use anything lower than 169.xx
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Minor detail being that AFAIK users of new cards using G92 or newer chips - like newer GTS 8800 series cards - shouldn't use anything lower than 169.xx
Yes because of that I've waited till there has been a new general and working version, (not only restricted to some cards/OSes) before posting the advice.

Nevertheless, I've edited my first post.

I use 160.02 Quadro drivers on my 7600GT. They have thus far worked pretty much ideally at least compared to any recent drivers actually designed for GeForce cards. :rolleyes:
This does seem THE HACKTM, but not a good general advice  :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
This does seem THE HACKTM, but not a good general advice  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I would place it more onto the category of things that Make Absolutely No Sense At All but since they work you don't want to **** with them... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I was having some weird stuttering on some DirectX graphics games, and the Quadro drivers somehow reduced that to prectically zero. Trying them was pretty much just a spur of a moment kinda thing, and I fully expected them not to work at all on the GeForce card, but what do you know, they actually feel like working better than the official drivers for GeForce cards. :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be surprising though since the Quadro cores are pretty much just GeForce cores that have gone through more vicious quality control and have some features unlocked probably via BIOS. The drivers recognize as ForceWare drivers even though they are installed from a quadro driverset install pack. :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Hey thanks for this, I've been searching for threads related to this problem. We have a 6800 XT in our comp, I will try one of those solutions.

EDIT: Am still using 3.6.9 though. I know that some people with this problem have used a certain 3.6.10 beta build to solve it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:03:05 pm by lostllama »

yes and it seams im one of the people with this problem, i have the nvidia geforce 8800 ultra with 169.xx drivers :hopping:, is there any solution from the developers/users that works to correct that corruption (cant go back on drivers since theres none in the site to choose from and some games i have demand the 169.xx drivers to run (hellgate london) but i didnt want to go out without playing this amazing mod). If no correction is on use i beg the developers to at least think about a patch to solve this textures problem, as i said its sadning not being able to play your excelent mod.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
IT IS A DRIVER BUG!!!  NVIDIA CONFIRMS IT IS A DRIVER BUG!!  THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX IT!!

All you can do is upgrade your drivers.

(...hopes the message finally gets through that it's not a FSO bug and there is nothing we can do about it...)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
(...hopes the message finally gets through that it's not a FSO bug and there is nothing we can do about it...)

I wouldn't count on that.

In other news, the Catalyst 8.3 series seem to be a good choice for older ATI cards (9500-9800 GPUs).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

I ask for again: Please make this advice thread sticky.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:34:07 pm by ARSPR »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Stickying the thread doesn't help if people are going to reply to it without actually reading it. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wahh. . .
I just got a sense of deep-rooted panic as i updated my drivers recently, i've not played FS2 since. <shock horror> so i'm gonna check as soon i've finished my home refurbishments.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I've just found out i get the Stripes :( how the heck do i downgrade? I've never needed to. As some people may know, i run the 8600 GS. (Two of the buggers)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Downgrade your graphics drivers, you mean?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
the new 175.xx series drivers work.  I am using them on my laptop, using an 8600 mobile.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Yes :) downgrade my graphic drivers. Installing and updating is one thing but what do i do if it says my drivers are already the latest version?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
ForceWare 163.75 for XP
ForceWare 163.75 for Vista 32-bit
ForceWare 163.75 for Vista 64-bit

...and the rest of them, feed appropriate values and hit search, and select the one you want to install.

Download the file you want, remove and clean up the installed drivers*, re-start, run the new driver installation and restart again.

*This is the recommendable procedure. I usually skip it though and I've never had any apparent problems related to it, but if you do have problems with video card after installing new drivers directly on top of old ones, remove and clean up the drivers, and re-install the new driver.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've just found out i get the Stripes :( how the heck do i downgrade? I've never needed to. As some people may know, i run the 8600 GS. (Two of the buggers)
Are you saying that you are suffering texture corruptions with a different driver serie than 169.xx?

That can be quite BAD...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Drivers are dated as 16/10/2007
Version is listed as 7.15.11.6732...

Also regarding the links above, how do i know if i've Visat 64 or 32, all i know is it's home premiujm  :confused: :nervous:

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Drivers are dated as 16/10/2007
Version is listed as 7.15.11.6732...

Also regarding the links above, how do i know if i've Visat 64 or 32, all i know is it's home premiujm  :confused: :nervous:

Those should be 167.32, a really really strange driver version. Why the hell don't you get LAST drivers (175.16) from nvidia homepage?