Author Topic: Want to get your Models in a full game?  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Want to get your Models in a full game?
Im currently beta-testing for a game called beyond protocol www.beyondprotocol.com which is a space empire MMORTS thats still being developed. Its being made by a small time company called darksky, and currently allot of the models in the game pale (greatly) to the work that comes from you guys on this board.

Ive been talking allot with the developers about getting better models in the game, and i showed them some of the models made here, and they were stunned.

Essentially, they're willing to consider anyone's work who wants to submit it for consideration, and trust me, there's a good chance of it making it into the full game.

Unfortunately actually monetary payment is unlikely, however they'll give full artist credits and im going to make sure before any models are considered that everyone will still have the ability to do whatever they want with their own work.

This a great opportunity for anyone who wants to show off their skills to the world and would look great for anyone trying to get into the graphics business to already have work in a published game.

Ontop of that at a personal level, i think it would be great fun to be able to play with these ships in a full game, and i'd be willing to help anyone who submits work to get into the closed beta.

And just to make sure no one freaks out, im not sending in anything without artist approval.

Edit: Dont worry about poly counts, texture size or number, or whether or not it will work in game in its current state, just worry about if its pretty. The devs have given me no guidelines on polys or such, and if/when they do i'll foward the information on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:08:57 pm by Krackers87 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Re: Want to get your Models in a full game?
Some of those screenshots have a crapload of ships in them. Presumably the requirements for that game would be somewhat different. Assuming that many of those are cruiser sized, for example this: http://www.beyondprotocol.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=137 I dunno if a person could throw in the equivalent of like a HTL Fenris or what have you.

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
well, let the devs worry about making the game run smoothly, Im just trying to send them some pretty stuff to replace alot of the really simple models they have, im also sending some of my work in.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

well listen method man

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What format do they prefer?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
make them .cobs

they want me to send pictures that way i can make renders in TS and plus prettify the images sent. plus cobs are versatile in what they can be converted to.

If they ask for a specific type i'll post it here/convert them myself/ask for a converted file from said author

well listen method man

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm...interesting...and tempting... I might donate a ship or two to the cause...

I just have to decide which ones.
Capitals are out of the question ATM, since that being a RTS, each ships uses just one texture I suppose.

Did they give you any specifics? Polycount per ship class? Texture size, depth, number?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Looking at the screenshots I can safely say that some of those ships have really bad texture jobs.

Is that...a Phoenix battleship from Allegiance? Ye Gods, it is! The same model!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
You can have the HTL Hussar, I suppose. Tis not like it's a spoiler anymore... I'll wait for bengals approval though

Very intresting, but i hope they`ll get their website online ASAP, so I can see some screenies to check the design used here and all the similar stuff :)
no.one

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Apparently their site is down?
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Hm...interesting...and tempting... I might donate a ship or two to the cause...

I just have to decide which ones.
Capitals are out of the question ATM, since that being a RTS, each ships uses just one texture I suppose.

Did they give you any specifics? Polycount per ship class? Texture size, depth, number?

Don't worry about number of textures and stuff like that, as i said before, they can worry about getting it to work. They need cap ships too.
 If theres a major issue with any of these things, i'll put it here, but don't assume anything.

Apparently their site is down?
Its back up now, the servers go down from time to time.

well listen method man

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
You can have the HTL Hussar, I suppose. Tis not like it's a spoiler anymore... I'll wait for bengals approval though

Send me a link if he give it the thumbs up.

well listen method man

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I can certanly give them untextured meshes of capships.

Hmm....

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Soo they want too see new things or just those that were made earlier?

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
I can certanly give them untextured meshes of capships.

Hmm....

They need textured vessels, that seems to be their main issue, untextured models are not nearly as valuable to them.

Soo they want too see new things or just those that were made earlier?
Either or, its up to you if you want to make something new thats great, if you have some older stuff, that's awesome to.

well listen method man

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Great, but methinks they should give some rough guidelines as to polycount and texture count (size can alwas be fixed).

It's a strategy, and most of those models look rather simple..

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Hmmm...  This is interesting

What about that old "Andrew Carnegie" model I made a while back that actually ended up being a cruiser from Privateer Online?

This is what my design is based on:

Sorry that my model has no textures, but I really suck when it comes to texturing. :mad:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Great, but methinks they should give some rough guidelines as to polycount and texture count (size can alwas be fixed).

It's a strategy, and most of those models look rather simple..

Ok i understand that, but its also still in development, including the graphics engine, so its not certain what system requirements/graphic detail/etc will be present in the final product. And yes the models look simple, because they lack graphics artists, so for the time being, higher detail is better, if you want to be thorough just make sure you have multiple LOD's, and make sure that polys aren't unnecessary.

well listen method man

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Hmmm...  This is interesting

What about that old "Andrew Carnegie" model I made a while back that actually ended up being a cruiser from Privateer Online?

This is what my design is based on:

Sorry that my model has no textures, but I really suck when it comes to texturing. :mad:

As long as that doesn't break any ip's by being in privateer, as for texture id offer to try a shot at it, however you may want to find another person as my time is limited. The model is pretty decent tho. Think it needs more detail or hull work as its still a bit simple for what im aiming to try to send in.

well listen method man

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Almost I forgot about sub models like turrets etc. Dose game support them or just get rid of them from models?