Author Topic: Undocumented feature in Hud_gauges.tbl and question about XMT/non-XMT  (Read 2849 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Undocumented feature in Hud_gauges.tbl and question about XMT/non-XMT
While digging about FS1 hud, (see this post), I've noticed that $Reticle Style: FS1 from fsport-reticle-hdg.tbl in fsport3_1_1.vp is undocumented in Hud_gauges.tbl wiki help

Although its usage and meaning is pretty obvious, I think you should update the wiki with an explanation about what this entry exactly does and its position in the table. I don't mind doing myself, but I have no knowledge about it.

(Also I don't know which is the opposite setting to $Reticle Style: FS1, in case I wanted to undo it ($Reticle Style: Default?, $Reticle Style: FS2?, $Reticle Style: Original?, ...). Or even if it has other possible values)

OTOH I just want to check if I understand the difference of XMT and non-XMT tables.

+ XMT table means that every $Named entry does not override the tbl one. It just modify the tbl one. In this situation just modified subentries are needed.
+ non-XMT table means that every $Named entry does override the tbl one. So the modder needs to type the full subentries that $Named entry needs in order to work.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: Undocumented feature in Hud_gauges.tbl and question about XMT/non-XMT
Seconding this motion, and it would also be really nice if the feature could be implemented under #Ship Main Gauges instead of globally so I could assign it to individual ships.

Also, if anyone could translate the original FS2 HUD into a Main Gauges set for hud_gauges.tbl, that would be really great.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Just looked at the code.  It's either FS1 or FS2.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thank you, Blowfish.

Could you provide more info or update wiki? I mean:
  • Its position in the table
  • What it exactly changes. (Ie, it does not load neither 2_lock1.ani (hi-res) nor lock1.ani (low-res) but 2_lock1_fs1.ani, or whatever, and so on)

I repeat, I don't mind updating the wiki myself but I don't know what this setting exactly does. I can just guess...

:nervous: :nervous: Also a little bump... Could someone check if I understand XMT vs non-XMT? Thank you in advance.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
TBH I could look up where it is pretty easily, but figuring out what, specifically, it does would require a lot more time and effort...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
$Reticle Style: added to Misc list.

I don't fully know the difference between XMT vs non-XMT, but I do know that for mflash.tbm to work, it can only add new information. If it contains no changes to the default TBL entries. Changes to the main tbl entries requires a tbl.

Ergo why the MediaVP's have a TBL in MV_Effects, but a TBM in MV_Advanced. The one in Effects makes changes to the hard-coded values while the one in Advanced adds the additional muzzle flash effect.

In summary: XMT can Modify and/or Extend. Non-XMT can Replace or Extend. Replacement usually has to occur via TBL though.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys