Author Topic: WIP Zephyrus  (Read 21545 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
 :pimp:

Sorry about the crappy Anti-Aliasing. My new GPU (Gforce 9500GT  :ick:) is hiccoughing quite a lot, lately. Am switching back to my trusty X1950Pro, especially now that the new 9.1 drivers are out... (love!):D

Anyway, model at ca 10000 tris. Diffuse and normal maps still WIP, after a week or so of photoshopping, but nearing completion now(and YES, I KNOW they're a bit cartoony, but I'm no texturer, and I intend to release it with the UVW template included, so any aspiring texturer can enjoy themselves).

Next in line, glow and shine maps.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Another one?

Offline Enioch

I thought the last HTL one was broken...collision errors and so on :nervous:

I didn't find any other tries...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well, continue anyway...

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I'd like to see other angles of it.

Tbh, apart from the cartoony textures and the fact that the tanks are a texture instead of an actual model, I like this model more
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Enioch

About the other angles: Sure, just not now. Maybe tomorrow.

And the tanks are a texture, but the 'ribs' over them are modeled.

And thanks, of course. :D

BTW, I must admit that I like these textures, although they are not (I know) that freespace-y. I'll probably let somebody else worry about that, as soon as I upload the final version. But, just out of curiosity, how do I go about texturing a model from scratch and retaining that freespace feel?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Texture it freespace-y :P

If you watch carefully, most of FS's textures aren't clean, on the contrary, they are full of grit and stuff, that's what you gotta simulate.

Basic mistake nº1 that I see on all kinds of texturing work nowadays (which is what makes them look cartoonish) is that people don't understand how reality is like.
Take for instance a grey metal plate: it ain't just a plain grey colour, it shouldn't be. If you colour pick the good textures, you will find out that even on what seems just a grey plate, you find pixels that are more bluish, others that are more redish and so on. Those little colour variations give life to the texture.
Also, gritiness and "polishness" cannot be evenly distributed either. Some places are more keen to getting more environment damage than others. Other places are more keen at taking lil colisions, so they have a more irregular texture than others, and so on.
You also have to take into account that depending on the functionality of the spots of a ship, some places have a certain kind of metal, while others have other kinds of metal. For instance, near the engines you probably will have a more polished, heat resistant metal (which will have more damage than the metal on other parts of the ship of course, due to extreme heats). Parts that are more heavily armoured may have more rough materials (so they spread the energy of a weapon impact).

So basic thing is: study :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

if your talking about materials that have not been made yet, how can you say a rough surface can get rid of energy better? From what I have seen in the aviation field I work in, composits made of a blend from metals, ceramics and resins and more likely nano carbon materials will be what the future holds.

Most Nano carbon materials I have seen are quite smooth and a very dark Gray-Black. Will this be how materials be in the future? maybe, maybe not. I also think we will not see panel lines as such has been made here for our models. In my case, I only made them such as well..because most like to see them and gives the mode some character.

Late fighters today when they are painted rarely have visible panel lines showing farther than 20 feet. Will you see them from wear and tear? Possibly and all depends on what and how the material used to make these fighters are done. As an example, lots of welding is done on high stress parts using what is called friction welding. It's nearly seamless and far stronger than traditional welding is but currently cost more. Some panels are also being friction welded and when painted, will not have any panel lines as well. But I do agree, study up on current and the latest technology being used and researched and you will have a slight idea of what the future holds.
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Enioch

if you're talking about materials that have not been made yet, how can you say a rough surface can get rid of energy better?....

For GOD's sake, nobody answer that. :D It borders on thread derailment...

Let's keep it on how to stay true to the original freespace style. Not how the original freespace style should be.

And let's stick to the model. That's why I'm posting this here. To get some feedback.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Ok, I'll try to explain this as simple as possible so you can understand what I wrote.

Enioch asked:
But, just out of curiosity, how do I go about texturing a model from scratch and retaining that freespace feel?

I replied:
Texture it freespace-y :P

If you watch carefully, most of FS's textures aren't clean, on the contrary, they are full of grit and stuff, that's what you gotta simulate.

blah blah blah

Notice the bolds. We're talking about Freespace craft, not real craft...

But since you brought it up, and I'm not claiming I'm a material\aviation expert like you obviously... I take it that you've seen those grey-black carbon materials after prolongued exposure in stress situations, like the ones you get in a military theater.
I actually already had a rough idea how military planes are built and how they are plated, same goes for a space shuttle, and boats... however I believe you're missing some points:

- in Freespace ships are made to be used in space only. It makes sense in a plane or the space shuttle that the plating is only some cm thick (which makes for very small, if any, visible seam lines), since they need to fly in the air and as such have to be light enough. However in space-only flight you aren't bound to make compromises with weight (except when it comes to inertia, and accel\decel forces), and as such the plating can be much thicker=more resilient. That way I'm pretty sure that seam lines would be more visible.
- Freespace is an entertainement product. As such, although we do however should transpire a certain level of realism on the ships, we don't have to do it full real (which makes sense, since there aren't any real spaceships)... coolness, shape "reading", and sticking with the FS universe is however needed.

It's all fine and I respect it if you want to make ships that resemble what future spaceships would be like and pretend they would work. However, that wouldn't be Freespace-y.

Raven is a god.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And let's stick to the model. That's why I'm posting this here. To get some feedback.
Teeth.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn

Post those pics I asked and some more work and you shall get it :P

Raven is a god.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
All I've got to say is, it's about time. First high-poly Zephyrus I've seen and I'll be glad to see it added to the list of completed ships.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oooh its already textured somewhat :D Looking good :yes:

EDIT: though looking at the other one with the transparent girders and tanks underneath, that old one looks epic... Maybe make the tanks into a model like the older one....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:02:39 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
That's nice.  My only suggestions might be to make the tanks actual geometry and maybe do something with the area where the docking point is (put some sort of dock there)

Wait ... did you say 10000 triangles? :eek2: That's a bit high ... can we see a non-textured version just so we can gauge how much detail it has?  EDIT: What am I thinking? :wtf: 10000 isn't THAT high.  Would still be nice to see the untextured version though...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:53:31 pm by blowfish »

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Preferable showing the wireframe too :)

Raven is a god.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
those tanks should be modeled in
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Agreed.

I'm glad to see someone else picking up this model - my Zephyrus had its pros and cons but was ultimately unusable. I would invite you to pick through my old model and use whatever parts you need--I'm particularly proud of my gas tanks.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Whew, for a sec I thought I was the only one.

You rarely see more than two of these in a mission anyway.

Offline Enioch

I agree, folks, but I wasn't sure how I should manage it. After downloading Galemp's model and leafing through the sub-objects, I think I've got it. Galemp, many thanks for letting me pick through your model; I'll model some tanks for myself, and try both yours and mine, to see what fits better.

About those extra pics: my 9500 did a RIP today and I have to re-install my X1950. So it will take some time, but I think that, by tomorrow I'll have all the pics you asked and more.

Oh, and @Snail: "Teeth"? :confused: wtf? Please, elucidate while I ruminate.