Author Topic: The official Saga eyecandy' corner  (Read 46574 times)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: The official Saga eyecandy' corner
Those look really nice.  Did you make some custom nebulas or did you just use the mediavp nebulas?
They are based on the media VP nebulas. That being said, they were heavily modified for our skyboxes. This means, that we are no longer using FS2 background system for anything but planets and suns. It should also be noted, that while skyboxes add a small performance boost on slower systems a shader capable GPU is required to render skyboxes correctly.
And render-baking your skyboxes would also solve some elliptical stretching problems on widescreens.

I also heard that you were using custom shaders for nicer explosion effects.

Also, where is that starfield that was shown in the previous update?
Which? This one?
Yeah, that one.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, that one is an early skybox test. It is used in one of our CGI cutscenes...
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They are based on the media VP nebulas. That being said, they were heavily modified for our skyboxes. This means, that we are no longer using FS2 background system for anything but planets and suns. It should also be noted, that while skyboxes add a small performance boost on slower systems a shader capable GPU is required to render skyboxes correctly.

What kind of errors can be expected when playing this with a GPU that is not capable of SM3.0?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You will end up with small seams where textures connect. This is engine related though...

I am not exactly sure WHAT is going wrong here. It seems that the game renders stuff wrong. By the looks of it the UV-coordinates at the edges are increased above 1.0 which causes an overlap and the color from the oposite side of the texture is taken, since the rendering starts from the top again once 1.0 has been passed. We are correcting this in the shader though without problems (CLAMP function). The downside is however that anyone who doesn't have GLSL support and is depending on the fixed function pipeline WILL see the seams...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 03:39:48 pm by Tolwyn »

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KeldorKatarn

What kind of errors can be expected when playing this with a GPU that is not capable of SM3.0?

None... we didn't say you need shader model 3.0. You need ANY shader model. Only people with cards that cannot process GLSL shaders AT ALL will suffer. Well.. possibly SM1.0 cards too since I'm not sure if we blow the instruction limit, but with SM 2.0 you should be safe and possibly also with SM1.0.

You will only experience above problems if you deactivate shaders or our shaders cannot run on your graphics card. And believe me. if you have a graphics card that is not older than a decade and you're not running from some laptop with a low-tech onboard chip, you most likely will be able to process our shaders.

And even whether the fixed function pipeline issue will remain is still to be determined. We filed a bug report on this issue so it might get fixed in time.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:35:01 pm by KeldorKatarn »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, that's kinda my problem. I'm using a Laptop with a Radeon X1250 integrated chip. I know it has no problem processing SM2 shaders, but the SM3 shaders that the MVPs (for example) use do not work on this rig. Anyway, as long as I can enjoy the game at all I'll be happy, even if it doesn't look as perfect as possible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline KeldorKatarn

Well I reprogrammed those shaders.. I don't really think I'm using much that requires SM3.0... but if you really have problems with the MVP shaders, then it might be that we really blow the instruction limit for lower shader models since I think we use even more instructions than the MVP... It's kinda hard to avoid that since we have to handle multiple light sources.

But anyway.. I'll promise you that we will try everything we can to get the fixed function pipeline issue fixed as well so even people without shaders can play the game without bad graphical issues.

We'll test this before release. If we really find out that we run into problems on systems that only support SM2.0 I might even try to programm a few lower-tech shaders which run on SM2.0 systems and we'll offer those as a separate download. I can't promise anything here, since I don't know if this is 100% possible, might be the engine puts on some limits here too, but if it is possible I'll try to provide a low-tech shader set.

This is really important because without the shaders right now you cannot really enjoy the game at all because you clearly see the edges of the skybox, and that is VERY distracting. but as I said, we'll do our best to get that fixed. We're kinda depending on the SCP people for this though.

Edit: You might also try deactivating normal mapping environment mapping etc in the launcher. The less you have activated here the smaller the shaders you're using become. if it is really just the instruction limit this might help you. If not then it's something entirely different, but as I said.. we'll work on it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:44:09 pm by KeldorKatarn »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
My old ATI 1900 XT worked nicely with MVP shaders as does Geforce 7600 GO in my laptop.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
What kind of errors can be expected?

You will end up with something like this. Unless this issue is fixed by the time Saga is finished.

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline starlord

Hey tolwyn, now I know:

Your dukara transport is in fact the transport that got incinerated by the dragon's flashies in WC4.

Am I wrong? :D

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You are absolutely correct.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline starlord

I knew I've seen it somewhere... :lol:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline starlord

Here we have it: the heavy destroyer... ;7

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
You know, I'd be more frightened if the class name didn't have Relax in the title.
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

You know, I'd be more frightened if the class name didn't have Relax in the title.

Lol! Now that you pointed it out its absolutely obvious! sounds more like some tranquillizers than a capital ship to me...

:D

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
What'S even more scary is 5th comment on our website. I can't help but to think "Duke Nukem Forever".

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
If it weren´t too much a reminiscence for Duke Nukem "Wing Commander Forever" would make a nice name.  :cool:

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Forever will come out. Basta. At Take2, at another 3DRealms, I don't care.

But we will release a lot sooner.  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

-WC Saga's beta tester