Author Topic: Something I Should Point Out to Modelers  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Something I Should Point Out to Modelers
A lot of models I've seen have no smoothing info.

Conceptually (for those who don't know), each edge of a polygon can either be 'smooth' or 'hard'. Sort of like creased or uncreased. Some ways of converting models to .pof lose this information, either making *every* edge smooth, or making *every* edge creased.

To illustrate, here's a comparison shot:

Good:

Bad (not the exact same model, but it illustrates the point):

I don't have a picture to illustrate every edge being creased, but think what some Vasudan ships would look like if they had faceted polygons  where they should be smooth, or didn't have sharp edges where they have them.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Something I Should Point Out to Modelers
never had this problem from 3ds max  6 to .pof
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I think a majority reason for this is those that convert from truespace to pcs. 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Yeah.  The problem seems to arise most commonly when COB is used at some point.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I notice that this only happens when in a cob all edges are smooth and manifold. For people who must use .cob (like myself), be sure that your groups of faces that form a distinct smooth surface are split from the rest of the mesh. Take for example a cylinder. If it's all set to smooth and the caps are manifold with the sides, then you will see very strange lighting. If you make it so that the caps and sides do not share any vertices or edges, each part will be smoothed independently and make it look more cylindrical.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It would seem that any time you auto-facet, you're leaving it up to the program to do that based on the angle between polygons instead of the way the original model was set up (if it even has that capability).  COB I think can only auto-facet at best.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
That's probably true, but somehow, non-manifold face clusters never get auto-faceted together. It's kinda like the separate smooth-groups in 3DS max.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Well, of course, because smoothing relies on two faces sharing an edge, which doesn't happen if you have edge-split your model.  They behave as two separate mesh entities.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm, so I guess you could trick it into smoothing only where you want it to, but it seems not very efficient that way.  At least it might work though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
converting models often destroys smoothing info which is why i always recommend doing everything in one program and using as few steps as possible to convert it. modeling in max is a surefire way to keep your smoothing data intact, if you can convert out of it without borking colision detection. not ure the status of collada or if it even works. ive had good enough luck with the old skool max converter to care.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Jacek just managed to convert our X-wing using Max and the ColladaMax OSS plugin without losing any smoothing data.  It's purdy :)

Collada saves smoothing info. Thats way  :)

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"