Author Topic: Lucifer Shields  (Read 8657 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hello all...

Port staffer and resident modeler DTP is literally flying through the model work that needs to be done. His current project is a shielded Lucifer, something done by Inferno ages ago, but now much better. Here's the progress so far, never mind the shield color:

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Try and do something original and unique with the color, like making the shields black. After all, the Lucifer had vewy, vewy special shields.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Originally posted by an0n
Try and do something original and unique with the color, like making the shields black. After all, the Lucifer had vewy, vewy special shields.

....black....:rolleyes:
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Hello all...

Port staffer and resident modeler DTP is literally flying through the model work that needs to be done. His current project is a shielded Lucifer, something done by Inferno ages ago, but now much better. Here's the progress so far, never mind the shield color:

hey, while he's at it, he could add all the missing spikes on the Luci, no? :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
and maybe those glowing moving things on the side of it in that command breifing! It also needs to be immune to bad humor... I dont know how you will accomplish that...
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Jake101

If I remember correctly, the Lucy's shields weren't visible, but more along the lines of right up against the hull.  Similiar to StarWars shields.
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline Nico

• Venom
actually, it didn't have shields, just the invincible tag...
SCREW CANON!

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by venom2506
actually, it didn't have shields, just the invincible tag...

Grr, try to think of what would have happened dude, and not state obvious things like that. We know it was just invincable, but hes saying that the Lucifer's shields is right up against the hull, not the poor lack of programming done on [V]s part.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Nico

• Venom
that's my point: I think it would have been a big bubble like for any other ship, why would it be different? making a shield that conforms to a ship, that must not be easy :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
making a shield that conforms to a ship, that must not be easy :p

The previous shielding attemt was just a big bubble that didn't even surround the ship, and it looked hideous. DTP confirms that no, it is not easy, particularly around the spikey turrets. This shield, like every other shield, will only be visible where you shoot at it. The picture only shows the mesh, not the final result.
By the way, those textures are from Freespace 1, which is why they look so dandy. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
lol, I meant the real shield :)
the shield for my NGTA ships conforms too ( tho not so closely).
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That looks quite cool. :nod:

By the way is it possible to fly through a shield mesh if there is too much space between the shield and the ship's hull? Or does it just act like a wall?

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Hrm, I want  Fulgrymm's new Lucifer.. :(
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Jake101

that's my point: I think it would have been a big bubble like for any other ship, why would it be different? making a shield that conforms to a ship, that must not be easy :p

Yes, it was the invincible tag, and as for it being easy:it would actually probably be doable for the Shivans.  The Lucifer's shield is more advanced than that of any other.  Perhaps that is why you've only seen 1 Lucy?  ;7   (Duh.)

The point, is that the shield would be compiled and spread out through several generators which would only emit a high level field AROUND and AGAINST the hull.  I think it's actually better for the Lucy to not have the 'traditional' shields.  I think that capships that do have shields like fighters do, probably use an impractical design.  (I know, it looks cool, and it's fun, but. . .speaking from a realistic FS universe point of view.)  Fighters have shields based off of small generators, which are likely too small to generate the advanced form of Lucy shields.
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Port staffer and resident modeler DTP is literally flying through the model work that needs to be done.
No he isn't. :rolleyes:
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Originally posted by ZylonBane
No he isn't. :rolleyes:

Yes he is! He is -flying- through space in a Ulysses -through- (a la Karnak) the models that he is working on. So there! :ha:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Not bad. Though it looks more like a Terran invention than a Shivan.

How 'bout a few spikes or depressions in it, make it look more organic? Spline curves or whatever they're called- curve up into the point. Look schoveet.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Not bad. Though it looks more like a Terran invention than a Shivan.

How 'bout a few spikes or depressions in it, make it look more organic? Spline curves or whatever they're called- curve up into the point. Look schoveet.

You... don't know... about... the SD Lucifer... :eek: :confused: :jaw: :mad2: :doubt:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I was referring to the shields. If I thought that wasn't damned obvious, considering I've been here for over an hour, I'd have mentioned something about the ship.:p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Oh... okay...

Actually the shield is supposed to conform to the shape of the ship. I don't think shield bits and pieces sticking out willy-nilly would enhance it at all.