Author Topic: Structural Problems, especially the "dead" MP scene.  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Structural Problems, especially the "dead" MP scene.
Back on topic: I do hope and believe that we're going to see an influx of new players once TCs like Diaspora and WCS release something multi-capable. IMHO, generating new and shiny content is the best possible way of (re-)generating interest for the scene.

That's pretty much it in my opinion as well.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
getting ppl back into multiplayer and having an enjoyable experiance depends on quite a few factors

some of the problems we encounter are

1. time zones........we are but a few players all over the world and finding a suitible time that we can play together can be challenging

2. people not following instructions ..... turning up not using the correct build or having some problems with there set up which causes a crash for all players

3. limitations  ... we are still limited to a certain number of players in a game and although some multi-missions have been now updated and adapted to 12 players but it would be nice to see this as the standard for all multi missions

4. A lack of fredders creating new and exciting Missions and Coops ( and repairing some of the broken ones )

5. standalone servers..... this is one of the major problems a lack of standalone servers to support the game , atm it is only fubar that is hosting servers and he is USA based  we certainly need standalones in europe and australaisia

6. Ping..;; this is always a problem but can be cured by more standalones being put in place

7. Support..; not from the SCP or any specific MOD  but from players them selves willing to spend time bug testing and getting new things into the game quickly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for getting more ppl into playing multiplayer in one or more of its various guises , there is information posted in many hlp threads, some times the set up information although uptodate is swamped by lots of posts afterwards i think that this can be corrected by pulling the information out and stickying and locking it in its ow thread

other than that a little better communication with sister sites would be good and a lot more comunication between the gaming comunities , (not spam but a single post in the relevant areas)..;

but before we can support all of this we ( the ppl who spend half or more of our free time in here) need to get together and get the game play issues and limitations fixed , tested and out there so its up to us

are we capable of this can we do we want to do this ..

well there you go , i for one know we are capable and hope we can get this together

so if you are really interested in pushing the multiplayer project further pm me or post in the multiplayer section in the "the future of multiplayer " post which im about to create

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:31:57 am by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Bas

5. standalone servers..... this is one of the major problems a lack of standalone servers to support the game , atm it is only fubar that is hosting servers and he is USA based  we certainly need standalones in europe and australaisia
I/we (www.station-network.de , general space sim fan site) am going to host a FS 2 server in germany/europe but I have to ask my hoster if it is possible (he meet up with my other hoster person this weekend) - Some help from the FS2 community in configuring this server will be much appreciated then.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A FS standalone server, right now, is a standard FSOpen installation on Windows, with all the vps, and launched with the "Run as standalone" option ticked in the Launcher. Until some of the current projects regarding a wxWidgets port are ready for a release, it won't work on Linux, IIRC.

A "real" server isn't needed, just a spare PC hooked up to a DSL line will suffice. Hardware-wise, it doesn't need more power than, say, a 5 years old, mid-range PC has.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bas

Ok...I hope I can get it still running at the Linux machine in the data centre...may be via WinE or a VM or so?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wine should work. It mostly needs Windows for its UI functions.

Oh, and don't forget the multi-missions vp.
Also, you may want to try and run several instances of it, with varying -mod options (without mods, with mediavps, with FSPort...)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns