Author Topic: X-Wing model now in game!  (Read 32700 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: X-Wing model now in game!
Lighting in the first shot looks a little odd.

The longitudinal specular "streak" on the starboard side of the nose is caused by how the shaders work on mirror-symmetric models. As far as I know, it can't really be avoided without mapping both sides of the ship separately, which pretty much would double texture memory consumption. It happens on all ships that use mirror symmetric uvmaps (check the GTFR Chronos / Amazon Advanced for example); on some geometry it's more obvious than on others.

Basically it's related to how the direction of the normals needs to be inverted on the mirrored side of the ship, otherwise they would cause opposite effect as intended.

It isn't that distracting in-game, but on some still shots it does tend to look bad.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I'm sure someone will figure out a workaround for that eventually. Maybe not for a long while though.

Without undue pomp and ceremony, I gladly present our X-Wing

*silence*

*slow applause*  :(

Lighting in the first shot looks a little odd.

The longitudinal specular "streak" on the starboard side of the nose is caused by how the shaders work on mirror-symmetric models. As far as I know, it can't really be avoided without mapping both sides of the ship separately, which pretty much would double texture memory consumption. It happens on all ships that use mirror symmetric uvmaps (check the GTFR Chronos / Amazon Advanced for example); on some geometry it's more obvious than on others.

Basically it's related to how the direction of the normals needs to be inverted on the mirrored side of the ship, otherwise they would cause opposite effect as intended.

It isn't that distracting in-game, but on some still shots it does tend to look bad.

There's a bug in the shader's.  You'll want to talk to Keldor about it.  He developed a fix for Saga's special shaders.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yeah, it would be nice to see the current FSO shader set fixed.
Most projects use the standard shaders.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline aRaven

i don't care.
I want R1.
Now.
Fix these insignificant things later.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe but we have to get all the significant stuff done first.  We are working on it though, and there's been a bit of a pace acceleration lately, usually happens each summer it seems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

wierd, summer is normally the time when people should get out and live a little ^^.

I guess it would take few more summers before we can kill some TIEs eh? I hope I won't die before that :D.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hopefully not too many more, and you should see why I think that within a day or two.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Hopefully not too many more, and you should see why I think that within a day or two.
there goes my ability to sleep.. :shaking:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I wouldn't get too excited.  I'm just talking about more pretty shots for now.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I wouldn't get too excited.  I'm just talking about more pretty shots for now.
phew, that just means ingame screens of TIE's then tomorrow. :rolleyes:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Demitri

That is one purdy fighter y'all got there!  :yes:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Good to see this. I must say the blue almost seems familiar: I think the old X-Wing game had blue engine exhaust for this particular bird.

Just curious about another thing: I've seen a few WIPs for other fighters with 3D cockpits (at least for external views). Is there any chance of seeing this in the future?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Which X-wing game are you thinking of? If you mean the sims, they were either flashing lights, textures, or actual engine glow, but none of which were blue.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The great "X-Wing" which had its origins in '92 as a DOS game, I believe. I had the Collector's edition for the Mac. Heck, if that old iMac was still up and running, I'd still play it! What a great game... often very hard, actually. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Aye, the original X-Wing was a really hard game, especially to fly through perfectly (fulfilling all goals and not just the necessary ones). Or to survive, for that matter... :nervous:

However, regardless of the previous games, the Incom T-65 X-Wing starfighter has red engine exhausts. Just look at the image below for irrefutable proof:

Therefore, the X-Wing exhausts will be red in this game. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline aRaven

It's not that hard anymore...I'm playing it all the way through at the moment :).

It's ****ing fun.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:38:21 pm by chief1983 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Considering SMF has a built in (and toggleable) word censor, you should probably just spell out profanities and leave it up to the user whether they want to see it or not.

It's not that hard anymore...I'm playing it all the way through at the moment :).

It's ****ing fun.
I made it harder by trying to keep all my wingmates alive, otherwise it'd be too easy with all the skills I've developed playing flight sims. Now that's hard!