Author Topic: Release: 3.7.0 Final  (Read 120740 times)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
You guys all deserve to be melted down

As much as one would probably apreaciate the sentiment, I still want to see a FSO 3.8

"10 years later..."
Potato!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
You guys all deserve to be melted down

As much as one would probably apreaciate the sentiment, I still want to see a FSO 3.8

"10 years later..."

Multi core support here we come ;)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Can I confirm - does the new pilot code fix the red-alert bug?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
What would the red-alert bug be?
Potato!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I cant remember the details but basically on some occasions some bits of information is not stored correctly between missions due to how the game and the pilot file did interacted.

While it is not as common as it was the issue when it did occur had the habit of breaking campaign run throughs and occasionally corrupting pilot files in the process.  One of the goals of the new pilot code is/was to finally kill this bug.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As I understand it, many of the old red alert bug reports are somewhat invalid now as it's hard to tell if the bug is due to the old code or the new. Best idea is to test test test red alerts and report as much as possible.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
has anyone looked at my new log and figured out what the heck happened to my pilots?

I was away over the weekend :)   I've had a quick look now, it hasn't helped me much.  Could you instead please post the entire contents of your data/players directory?  I can then run the conversion process on my PC & see if I can figure out what's going wrong.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

So are you supposed to be able to keep your pilot files or not with the 3.7.0 switch? My pilot files behave the same you see, they appear to be wiped when you play them with 3.7.0, but switching back to 3.6.18 means they are fine again.

I know next to nothing about what the pilot code does. I haven't been paying attention, as as you know yourself niffiwan from recently helping me with my problems, I've only recently moved up from all the way back at 3.6.12.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The pilot files have a once-off conversion process which should transfer campaign progress.  It doesn't alter the 3.6.18 files which is why they look fine when you go back to 3.6.18.  However, the conversion only works for a single campaign, only for the active mod, and if there are any issues with the 3.6.18 pilot, or if there's a bug in the conversion process then progress will be lost.

So, for your "blank" 3.7.0 pilots, try deleting the .plr & .csg files in data/players.  Then, activate the mod that you want to keep the campaign progress for and run 3.7.0.  If the pilots are still missing campaign progress after doing that, post them here.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Y'know it occurs to me that FSO has been on the 3.6 release line since I first registered on this site, to say nothing of when I finally got around to first installing it.  This is kind of what it feels like when your car's odometer rolls over. :D

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
With 3.7 being the pilot code, we should find a defining feature for 3.8 to 4.0. ;)

With 3.7 being the pilot code, we should find a defining feature for 3.8 to 4.0. ;)
The 3.x is because it follows on FS1's and FS2's versions of the engine, so I doubt we'll ever get to 4.0 - unless somehow Ferrium returns from the grave...

If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).

Considering that SSE2 is compatible with Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 processors and newer, this seems rather... weird, as basically every processor since 2003 has this, and I am quite certain that just about everyone who is checking this out has something which is newer then that. Mabye change the line to "If you have a post 2003 processor, get SSE2, otherwise, check the wikipedia link") or something similar.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).

Considering that SSE2 is compatible with Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 processors and newer, this seems rather... weird, as basically every processor since 2003 has this, and I am quite certain that just about everyone who is checking this out has something which is newer then that. Mabye change the line to "If you have a post 2003 processor, get SSE2, otherwise, check the wikipedia link") or something similar.

Two points: One, pointing people to the most compatible build isn't wrong. Two, the PC GAMING MASTER RACE has over the years proven that large numbers of it are completely illiterate regarding the tech they use.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Here's my suggestion:

3.8.0 --> Deferred Lighting + Shadowmaps
3.9.0 --> WxFred
3.10.0 -> GeoMod
3.11.0 -> Fur
3.12.0 -> General True Hard AI to make compelling characters in campaigns
3.13.0 -> General True Hard AI self-compiling genius who will auto-generate new builds and new tools for it to create new builds and new tools.
3.14.1592 -> Beyond event horizon of the Singularity.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's my probably more accurate list of upcoming features:

-Deferred Rendering
-SDL 2 everywhere
-TTF font support
-APNG support
-wxFRED

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I can't believe we'll have to wait until 3.11 for a Star Fox mod.  :p
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Luis Dias

n00b ignorant stupid question.... how is SDL 2.0 such a big deal?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Linux and MacOS both use SDL to manage the gruntwork of setting up OpenGL contexts and getting player input. By moving to use SDL everywhere, we can cut out most of the OS-specific code paths we're using in favour of a unified code base that works the same everywhere.

SDL2 has changed quite a few things regarding player input; I know taylor was planning to rebuild the input handlers when SDL2 was finalized, and it's probably a good idea to do so (If only to get away from the weirdness regarding how keypresses are handled, for example).

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
The 3.x is because it follows on FS1's and FS2's versions of the engine, so I doubt we'll ever get to 4.0 - unless somehow Ferrium returns from the grave...
I think we've been to the point where we're even more different than FS1 and FS2 that any 4.0 designation would be arbitrary if we don't establish a roadmap. :p