Author Topic: Best single player space sim!  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Thoemse

Best single player space sim!
I am only a couple missions into the campaign but i am almost speechless.

The graphics, controls, the voice acting ... well everything is AAA title quality and it does have the BSG feel.
The rights owners failed on delivering a good BSG combat sim and you guys fixed that. All that for free.

I found this years after completion and right now in the year 2015 it still is the best single player combat space sim i installed in YEARS.
This game did not get the coverage it deserves.
What you guys created with the freespace 2 engine is nothing short of astonishing,

Considering all the hype about star citizen and elite dangerous i am rather baffled, that there is not much more activity on here!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Best single player space sim!
Glad you're enjoying the game.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Couldn't agree more - stumbled across Diaspora last week and I've been blown away - absolutely fantastic job guys! One of the best games I've ever played - period.

I've been enjoying the heck out of it yet again :)  Running through the latest version with all of the updated briefings.  Working on improving custom missions ect :)

I've taken to converting some audio from the series and incorporating it.  I know it can't be released to the public but if you have the means....

Picture launching out of your tube in a viper and shooting down toasters to the sound track of "Prelude to War"  or "Husker in Combat".  It feels like you are THERE.

I've played a lot of space flight sims over years including other FS2 Open conversions.  This is by far my personal favorite.  I can't wait to be able to fly off a Valkyrie class Battlestar!

It's been a couple of years since those shots were released, I hope there's more coming soon  :cool:

Words can't really express how awesome of a job the entire team has done, FS2 Open and Diaspora alike.  We all benefit from the attention to detail and professionalism everyone has brought to this venue.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I posted this on another thread a little while back.

Very early work in progress from one of the R2 missions.

Very cool.  Thank you.  That is one slick looking Battlestar.  What does EIR stand for in this case?  Or is that classified :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Given that it's not capitalized like an acronym, it looks like the name of a ship.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We made the decision a while back that Valkyrie class Battlestars would all have Norse names.

Valkyrie!!! This is my favorite Battlestar, hope to see her soon. I don't know how to express this, but truly thankful to the develop team. I know this might sound a bit bureaucratic, but it's totally true.

(apologies ahead of time for the wall of text, lol)

I, too, stumbled upon Diaspora only recently. Originally my attitude was "WHAT? I CAN'T CONTROL A BATTLESTAR? FEH!" but when I tried it out I was completely blown away. Being in the middle of another watch-through of the re-imagined series when I discovered it, this felt like I got injected at FTL speeds right into the series. I'm usually not a huge fan of the "in the cockpit fighter sim" style of game, but this is so fantastic I couldn't help but love it.

It perfectly captures that feeling of dread and uncertainty as the colonies fell--that fear that causes you to wonder if there really is anyone else left out there after all the comm channels go quiet. That sense of terrible awe as you watch the colonies burn from the cold silence of space. You guys really deserve to make money off of this for all the love and attention to detail and accuracy you have given it.

That said, I really wish for more. I can barely wait for R2 to come out so I can bury myself in the universe again. There may be the ability for the community to make missions, but nothing they make will match the astounding quality of the developer campaign we've seen so far. I'd beg for some sort of release date estimate (it having been roughly two years since R2's announcement) but I know you can't rush these things. As long as it's as fantastic as (or more than) Shattered Armistice, it will be worth the wait.

I'm glad to see you went for an established battlestar model, particularly the beautiful Valkyrie-Class. I loved that you guys came up with your own (very well-realized) ships like the Sobek-Class, but using an established ship type has a certain charm of its own. Even if the Valkyrie is a bit of a runt among battlestars :P

I would love to see a Mercury-Class get some love in a future release--we only got to saw the Pegasus in action during the series, and it'd be great to see what you guys can do with a full-size battlestar in the engine. That is, if you can come up with an explanation as to why one of the fleet's most advanced battlestar classes didn't have the CNP installed yet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:37:35 pm by Raynsideways »