Author Topic: Ultra HD Bearcat  (Read 13732 times)

LOL ya...
it was one of the shader/textures that came with unreal 4. It does a good job of showing off any unrounded areas.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Landing gear animation is done, took FOREVER to figure out how to activate animations in Unreal, none of the tutorials really helped.  "Here let's do some complicate player animation tutorial"... no. that's not what I need  :banghead:  Turns out it's really simple LOL.

Anyways, landing gear is uvmapped (minus the tire).  Mapping is a bit different than the simple methods I used to use, less uv sharing. I'll probably be using two 4K textures (one for general details, like the landing gear) and one for hull.

BTW this is how you would be looking at the Bearcat if it was real (provided scale is correct).

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That looks really nice. However, I noticed you stopped working on the other ships... :( I was particularly interested in the Warlock, the closest thing Confed has to a battleship is currently the Essex (which you designed as a battlecruiser), and I'd love something with a little more punch.

Someday I'll get to those... right now I'm working on the common components (landing gear, thrusters...etc).  Like with my regular HD models getting the parts working correctly  the first time and then reusing them make things go by so much faster.  Some things will be disabled for FS2 until importing animation is done (if ever).

The thrusters as they now stand (and retracted landing gear, plus a few vents and pull tabs)

Also working with U4 now makes it so much faster to see if what I'm doing is actually looking good, whereas dealing with PCS2 takes quite a bit longer.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Will the TVC panes finally work? :) I'd love to see them move around, now that you have a script that allows that.

I believe they would kinda work for FS2 .. however I would be worried about max subsystem limit.  The hydrolic lines wouldn't really work, because that's a translation rather than a simple rotation.  As for the U4 version, I don't know, I don't understand the physic based motion yet.

Some more updates.... got nearly all the generic detail stuff mapped.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:32:33 am by Scooby_Doo »

Another update... 95% of the model is uvmapped and base textured (the cockpit, canopy and intakes still need to be done)

Right now it's using 1 4K texture for details (common across all models), 2 4K hull textures (I had to do some cheating to get it to fit, it's a tight squeeze and I hope it doesn't effect AO baking) and one tiny glass texture (U4 doesn't like large textures with transparence parts)

Getting the hull to look metallic tone was a big pain, it usually would end up being too blue

Cockpit is finally coming together.  It's one of S.C. models rebuilt from the ground up.  It must use some form of tessellation because of all the extra polys.  Replaced a lot of their big buttons with my existing cockpit's control.  Tons of buttons everywhere LOL

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
impressive detail
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This is more detailed than the movie raptors. ....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Cockpit is almost done.

First attempt at texturing, aliasing is becoming rather annoying... had to redo the entire ship uvmap (needed to expand it), unfortunately this increased the total number of textures

Some more detailing...

Now with decals! I'm using yet another texture (smaller one this time) and creating hi-res decals to place on the model.  By using on average about 2 triangles I can produce some hi-res readable warning/caution signs on the hull without going overkill on the hull textures.  The dashed red lines are part of the main hull, but since a.) it's unique to that hull b.) doesn't need to be hi-res it's ok.

I still need to do some tweaking to the decal texture to make it look more actually placed on.

FINALLY got through the first texture.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:21:49 am by Scooby_Doo »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Pretty. :)

That said, I kind of wish to see some more "low detail" models like from your big release. You even had a nifty list with a number of interesting, yet unreleased ideas on it. Now it takes you a about year to finish that one, while work of any models that could actually be used in FS is stalled. For example, I have once wanted the Warlock Confed battleship for an idea I had. It's been a few years and it's still nowhere to be seen, with Essex being the biggest ship from the pack.

Still alive and got started back working with it. Gave it a few month hiatus.

Decals, decals, decals everywhere! Even the rivet stripes are decals.  It also makes use of detail texturing (aka subtexturing). I'm suprised SCP doesn't have that yet, it would do wonders for capships.  There's a few things I still need to work on, where the cockpit meets the hull is a biggie.

Now I'm waiting for Substance Painter to go back on sale again.

What programs did you use to make this work of art?

Max, Photoshop and even Artrage.

But now with Substance Painter (running the demo version)

p3d view (sadly only 1024px resolution)
From within Unreal:

So much shiney!