Author Topic: Working on a music thing  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Working on a music thing
I've started working on a web interface for playing and organizing music. The trick about it is that the music does not (necessarily) play on the machine you are interacting with, but the machine that machine is connected to (which could be it's self). Basically think of it like a website, and the music plays from the server. Imagine going to a party, and you can connect to the wifi, and enter a local URL and now you are in control of the music. Or more typically imagine laying in bed or cooking in the kitchen and controlling your large high end sound system from your phone. I even intend to support multiple instances so if you decide to do the setup you can control music in different rooms independently all from any computer or phone on the same network without any need for installing or downloading anything, you just visit a URL and it works.

I have split the project into two parts. MPD.js a javascript MPD client library that handles the hassles of communicating with the MPD back end that does the actual music playing. and Bragi-MPD the UI that uses the MPD.js library. named after the Norse god of partying is supposed to be a mobile friendly yet full featured front end for all of your music playing needs. I have it split up like this because I've seen a billion MPD clients all written from the ground up duplicating effort, so hopefully MPD.js will become 'the' javascript library to base clients on even if Bragi is not so successful.

At this point I think MPD.js is fairly solid, it's certainly not bug free, but it's as good as can be expected at this point with just me testing it on only my front end that doesn't make full use of all of it's features. So I have shifted my focus to Bragi which is still under construction, but has reached a point where I think I can start promoting it and I'd like to get feedback from other people on it. The layout I think works well, but the color scheme is literally vomit and I'm more than open to suggestions from anyone who can get it working and come up with anything. Obviously I'm also open to other people implementing and improving features and fixing bugs, but I'd also be very interested in just hearing if anyone is able to get it running (maybe I can improve my documentation, no idea how hard installation is on windows or osx, Linux is pretty easy) and how they feel about what I have done so far.

TL;DR I made an MPD webclient, try it out.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Working on a music thing
y'all are a bunch of philistines!
/*shakes fist*/
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Sorry! I read your thing, and the idea is excellent, but as the app is now, it's a few tiers above my tech comfort level, so I'm not able to test it.
Is there a .apk that works and is easy to play with yet?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't look cause I already have several ways of playing music on a device I'm not currently at, mostly via Kodi and some form of remote control. What can this do that I can't already do?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, Kodi's neat.
Basically it lets you control playing music from any device that connect to the one playing the music. not just ones that have been preconfigured to do so. also the whole party scenario. and how well does Kodi work across the internet? and how do you feel about playing music in different places/controlling volume independently?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds interesting. If I can use it with my Raspberry Pi's (which does seem possible since they are running Linux) I might even consider giving it a go. All my music is on a NAS and mainly shared via SAMBA or DLNA though, would it be able to cope with that?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I see no reason why it shouldn't work with Raspberry Pi, in fact I'd be suprized if you had any problems. you should be able to configure multiple backends and control all of them from one Bragi instance.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3