Author Topic: Strange bug with missiles and weapons in general  (Read 899 times)

Offline unwind

• Steam
Strange bug with missiles and weapons in general
Hello everyone, firstly I am a new user of FS2 open and I have to say it is amazing.
However I'm having a very annoying problem with missiles and to a lesser extent all weapons.
Missile weapons seem to lock on but are almost incapable of turning. I can be point blank range or 500 metres away - it doesn't seem to make a difference, the missiles will turn very very slightly but nowhere near enough to hit a moving target. This is the case with rockeyes, harpoons and hornets - so far all the missiles I've tried using have failed miserably. As you can imagine this is very very annoying.  :(
Also, I could be wrong, but the fire rate of all primary weapons and missiles (not the time between volleys, but, in the case of hornets, the time between each of the 4 or 8 missiles seems to have increased) seems to have decreased by a small amount - it's not gamebreaking but it's something I've noticed in comparison to normal FS2, am I right or am I just seeing things?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Strange bug with missiles and weapons in general
What kind of framerates are you getting?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline unwind

• Steam
Re: Strange bug with missiles and weapons in general
Hey, thanks for the reply but I fixed it. It was definitely to do with frame rate because after turning v-sync on the problem was resolved. Thanks