Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378495 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
You're launching the 3.7.2 RC 5 .exe from the wxLauncher, having selected the mod you wish to play, right? 

Ah ha.

I installed the WX launcher to the wrong directory.

Thank you for your help

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I tried the new build but it didn't completely work. Here's the logs from running the build, as well as a test run straight afterwards with the standard installer to confirm that it wasn't the mirrors causing the issue.

edit: actually add the link to the logs: http://www.mediafire.com/download/29gxj48xckh6xn1/fsoi-logs-20150123.7z

Until I figured it out, that was a very strange bug.  But it had a silly, easily fixable cause.  Try this new build.  Thanks for testing. :)

Thanks for the reminder about this, I'd forgotten to do the testing :nervous:  Short story, it didn't work correctly and it logged a null pointer exception.  I could download http://mvp.fsmods.net/2014/MV_Root.7z manually straight after the installer completed running. Logs are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pnpemiul73conj5/fsoi-logs-20150223.zip
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the reminder about this, I'd forgotten to do the testing :nervous:  Short story, it didn't work correctly and it logged a null pointer exception.  I could download http://mvp.fsmods.net/2014/MV_Root.7z manually straight after the installer completed running. Logs are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pnpemiul73conj5/fsoi-logs-20150223.zip

Well, boo.  Try this build.  It won't fix the error but it should provide more comprehensive logging on the problem.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well, boo.  Try this build.  It won't fix the error but it should provide more comprehensive logging on the problem.

Here's some freshly baked logs:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0393h1n2nh19fbh/fsoi-logs-20150227.7z
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline sparil

eh...which mediavps am i supposed to use? 2014 or 3.6.12? and what are the differences? for both freespace 2 and fsport

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
2014 is the more recent version and it should look prettier and have newer / higher poly models than 3.6.12. The only thing to watch is that you must run 3.7.2 RC5 for support mediavps_2014.  It can be used in both Freespace 2 and FSPort.
----
----

Given the number of java-less folks that seem to be poping up here and there, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make the line "NOTE: The Installer requires Java 1.5 or newer to run." more noticeable and possibly be bumped to just before the .jar download link.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I prefer not to insult people's intelligence.  The note is already the closest text to the URL, and it's the only text on the page in that particular size of font.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:31:27 pm by Goober5000 »

I prefer not to insult people's intelligence.
Fair enough.

I'm not sure what's more probable: that some people just stop reading the page once the reach "Download" or that they don't read anything on the page at all except "Download". If it's the latter, then altering the note in any way would not achieve anything.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I prefer not to insult people's intelligence.  The note is already the closest text to the URL, and it's the only text on the page in that particular size of font.
To be perfectly fair, though, how many times have each of us seen the big "Download" button on some site and immediately clicked it without paying too much attention to the surrounding text?  At the very least, moving the Java requirement directly before the link might get at least a few more eyes on it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
To be perfectly fair, though, how many times have each of us seen the big "Download" button on some site and immediately clicked it without paying too much attention to the surrounding text?

I had that behavior trained out of me quite effectively by web ads sitting adjacent to download links.

At the very least, moving the Java requirement directly before the link might get at least a few more eyes on it.

The natural flow of reading is to go down the page, not up.  If people skip immediately to the Download link, the note about Java is conveniently positioned as the very next thing for them to read.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Goob, you might have trained that behavior out, but the only reason those ads still exist is because enough people haven't that they're still profitable.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CT27

How exactly does one get a campaign added to the list of campaigns available on the Installer?

There's a campaign I like that I think could be on there but the original author isn't around anymore.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If all the files are hosted publicly, you could generate the mod file yourself and find hosting for it, then give the location of that file to Goober I believe.  He might be able to help you find hosting for the mod file as well.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CT27

Do you mean the link (Mediafire in this case) where I downloaded the campaign from?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You need a direct download link. Mediafire only offers direct links to users who pay for MF Pro.
You can use Dropbox, ask Goober or PM me to host your file with a direct download link.

Once you have that link, you have to create a text file with all necessary information. Once you're done, you need to upload it and PM Goober a link to it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:nod:  Another possible hosting option is FSMods.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
:nod:  Another possible hosting option is FSMods.
Only if you have your own subdomain / website on FSMods. achtung disabled direct links for mods uploaded through the website.

Quote from: achtung
I have disabled hotlinking to request.php for downloads. You must use links with download.php?view.xxx now. [Full disclosure: this is to drive ad views]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, okay.