Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60400 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Well, aside from having to re-learn how to dodge because space no longer does it all, the multiplayer is just as fun as ME3 and it feels weird to be so underpowered again. Also, vanguard is playable off-host.  Very playable.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So here's a thing that I completely like about MEA's writing. In previous Mass Effects, going into a relationship with one of your companions always had a tinge of abusing power dynamics, with Shepard explicitly being the commanding officer of the group. By making the Pathfinder team an explicitly civilian thing, they've removed a lot of friction from this dynamic. Ryder and her crew are a lot more like equals, a lot more believable as a group of friends than Shep's group was, and I for one really appreciate it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mikes

Wow ... some people really don't like those facial animations: https://www.themarysue.com/trolls-mass-effect-andromeda/   :nervous:

Offline Luis Dias

Mary Sue is full of ****. Why does anyone still read that rag is beyond my comprehension. Bioware's note was about Manveer Heir, not the animator.

But yeah, there was a small contingent of trolls and morons overall that did go way over board against the animator in question. People do care about Mass Effect and a small percentage of people take that caring into a preposterous clinically diagnosable level of hatred whenever they feel things don't sway as they expect.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Not how I'd have put it, but yes, sites that wear their politics on a sleeve like The Mary Sue does prioritize agenda over facts every time, and are intrinsically prone to falsehood and hyperbole. It would not be an exaggeration to assume political writers are liars until proven otherwise.

Regardless on who gets the blame in the end, the facts remain the same. The animations are objectively garbage when compared with contemporary competitors, and a lot of reviewers are pussyfooting around the elephant in the room.

Mary Sue is full of ****. Why does anyone still read that rag is beyond my comprehension. Bioware's note was about Manveer Heir, not the animator.

Regardless of what you may think of the Mary Sue, several outlets (including Kotaku, Polygon, Game Informer and PC Gamer) have indeed stated that Bioware's statement was about the animator and not about Manveer. I'd be surprised if this somehow doesn't turn out to be true considering that Bioware has not issued either a correction or addendum or have informed atleast one of these outlets. Or that, from a cursory glance at his twitter account, Manveer Heir doesn't appear to be even near the world-of-hurt that aforementioned animator is.

Yeah no the statement is defintely about the animator.

Quote from: Torchwood
The animations are objectively garbage when compared with contemporary competitors, and a lot of reviewers are pussyfooting around the elephant in the room.

Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, Polygon, and PC Gamer all mentioned the issues with the animations. I am not sure what you mean with "Pussyfooting around the elephant in the room" in that sense, unless Mass Effect Andromeda has a stealth mission in which you have to avoid an elcor.

Regardless, yeah, the usual pattern of "Single out some woman and then blame her for everything wrong with a less popular Bioware game" has been around for Dragon Age 2 at the latest. Apperently, harassing random people over the internet is the only way some people can contribute to society  :doubt:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:49:44 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Mikes

But yeah, there was a small contingent of trolls and morons overall that did go way over board against the animator in question. People do care about Mass Effect and a small percentage of people take that caring into a preposterous clinically diagnosable level of hatred whenever they feel things don't sway as they expect.

Look ... the story is on several outlets. Mary Sue was just one of the first ones that popped up on a google search over the issue.

So by all means, go vent about Mary Sue all you want, but the mere fact that Mary Sue *also* reported about this, has no relevance to the actual topic.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:26:37 am by Mikes »

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Now there's an ugly conundrum. I don't really like this whole sexist angle one way or the other. On the one hand, it just seems like one big distraction from the real quality issues, something that is meant to bog down discussion with an endless recurrence of feminist/counterfeminist talking points that won't go anywhere. On the other hand, the data says the blame game is a real thing, and everyone involved seems to prefer pinning all that went wrong on a single scapegoat rather than admit collective failure.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Regardless of what you may think of the Mary Sue, several outlets (including Kotaku, Polygon, Game Informer and PC Gamer) have indeed stated that Bioware's statement was about the animator and not about Manveer. I'd be surprised if this somehow doesn't turn out to be true considering that Bioware has not issued either a correction or addendum or have informed atleast one of these outlets. Or that, from a cursory glance at his twitter account, Manveer Heir doesn't appear to be even near the world-of-hurt that aforementioned animator is.

The statement is about Manveer, unless you want to imply the animator was lying through her teeth when she said she was a lead team member.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Now there's an ugly conundrum. I don't really like this whole sexist angle one way or the other. On the one hand, it just seems like one big distraction from the real quality issues, something that is meant to bog down discussion with an endless recurrence of feminist/counterfeminist talking points that won't go anywhere. On the other hand, the data says the blame game is a real thing, and everyone involved seems to prefer pinning all that went wrong on a single scapegoat rather than admit collective failure.

I am not sure how this is a "on one hand, on the other hand" thing, or even a conondrum. Both of the things you mentioned are negatives. They are not mutually exclusive either.

The statement is about Manveer, unless you want to imply the animator was lying through her teeth when she said she was a lead team member.

It really doesn't appear to be that way! I am not sure what Manveer has to do with any of this anyway...

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

It really doesn't appear to be that way! I am not sure what Manveer has to do with any of this anyway...

I know this doesn't align with your worldview, but devs that aren't women are also cause of controversy. Maddening, I know.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

I know this doesn't align with your worldview, but devs that aren't women are also cause of controversy. Maddening, I know.

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion about my worldview, but if someone who made a statement specifically makes a statement that states that he is not going to make a statement about a controversial person, I take it that the statement at the start fo this sentence is in fact not about that controversial person.

This is all getting a bit too much work for a simple correction though.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Regardless, yeah, the usual pattern of "Single out some woman and then blame her for everything wrong with a less popular Bioware game" has been around for Dragon Age 2 at the latest. Apperently, harassing random people over the internet is the only way some people can contribute to society  :doubt:

Also, I wasn't aware that their GM saying he's not going to address comments by Manveer is related at all with the Bioware account saying a dev was misidentified as a lead dev.

Also, I wasn't aware that their GM saying he's not going to address comments by Manveer is related at all with the Bioware account saying a dev was misidentified as a lead dev.

Then read the statement again!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Then read the statement again!

Fine, let's parse through their statements:

Question: Are you going to address comments by @manveerheir??
Answer: No, but Manveer is no longer with BioWare (see his Twitter bio)

Statement: Recently, a former EA employee was misidentified as a lead member of the Mass Effect: Andromeda development team. These reports are false.

Yep, totally oposite staments. Like, him saying Manveer no longer works at bioware is totally at odds with him saying the dev no longer works at EA.

Okayyy. This isn't going anywhere.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have no idea what the **** any of you are even arguing about, but cut it out.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
bwahahaha
move over, axem/ironbeer/goober, BIOWARE is here
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

femryder looks stoned in every damn scene
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.