Author Topic: 2010-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3  (Read 39701 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: 10-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3
I think he sort of expects magic render-to-texture powered nameplate generation.

Which is not on the tables.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

Ah, that. Nope, that's not in, we do our nameplates manually. Just as well as that way I can do cool stuff like bake lighting on them, etc :)

Having said that, I intend to release nameplate source files (PSDs, mostly) once R1 is out coupled with short instructions on how users can make their own nameplates easily. We want Diaspora to be modder friendly, after all :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And damage decals?... not sure If that's how it's supposed to be called.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Damage decals not planned. In fact, Zacam a while back ripped out the old defunct decal code so any decal code will have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Offline newman

Right now we do separate damage maps which are then used for destroyed subsystems, debris, etc.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. Damage decals will need a major addition to the existing texturing pipeline.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A few versions down the line, will FS2 interpret a nameplate request from a .FS2 file and generate a capital ship nameplate?

Not to detract from the trailer, there's a shot of a Viper pulling in from the left of frame, was that scripted somehow or is it a facet of lateral thrust?

edit - late reply :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:24:41 pm by Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A few versions down the line, we might have the make-coffee and make-sandwich sexps.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Everything in the trailer is at least a month old. I took a couple of shots myself (the MK II ones are the most easily recognisable). The video Newman took is much older than that.

The result is that a lot of that stuff has been fixed already. Still, keep the crits coming as it's always good to spot stuff we can fix at this point rather than at release.

Some aspects of the trailer makes me a bit worried about gameplay, but it's hard to draw conclusions as the project is still WIP and things like unfinished CIWS makes it all the more difficult.

What worried you? To be honest we had very little actual gameplay in the trailer as the only shots of the player ship firing were external (and you're meant to play the game from inside the cockpit). In addition we're still working on balancing things at the moment so if you have a specific concern I'd love to hear it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What is NGTM-1R talking about? Tessie main batteries shoot rounds with trails in the video, trails are defined in the tables currently, and I saw trails when I played my build of Diaspora an hour ago. :)

That there are shots without trails, which still ought to visible. Flak ones for example. I even gave you episode references in case you needed them, and you don't know what I meant. What kind of a BSG fan are you? :P

Basically I think that the capital gunfire looks really unimpressive compared to the very cinematic sort you saw on the show. Larger, brighter projectiles, anticapital fire with brighter and longer-lasting trails. Even the Cylon missiles could stand to have slightly brighter and longer trails.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
To fully replicate the smoke trails from the show, it'll require the use of Pspew in weapons.tbl to drop smoke bitmap particles. We're currently using regular trails which IMO is an ugly solution since smoke is a volumetric phenomenon which is best represented by a billboarded screen oriented quad, not an oriented quad facing away from the viewer.

The problem is that there are so many projectiles flying around in the missions; Raiders firing nukes, Vipers firing dogfighting missiles, batteries shooting from both the Tessie and Sabazius, Basestars (The worst offenders) liberally flinging out so many missiles that we're hitting the object limit... I did experiments with this and the particle subsystem ballooned to 180ms to calculate it all which came out to 5 FPS. Absolutely ridiculous. :lol:

It might be better with the go_faster changes since particles are no longer drawn in immediate mode and use glDrawArrays. But really even with just our models, we're still over a reasonable frametime budget. So stitched trails we use. :no:

It's funny that you question how much of a BSG fan I am based on this issue when particle smoke trails are something I really wanted in this game and heavily investigated in the graphics code. I even plan on optimizing particles even more sometime, perhaps using the draw_instanced_EXT extension in the OpenGL 3.0 spec or use dynamic vertex buffers for batched quads or maybe even engineer a GPU-based particle system.

So yup, you called me on it. I'm not a very big BSG fan. :blah:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Look flak can't have trails for engine reasons without more major code changes (well it could but would look darn stupid).   There are plenty of trails from other weapons.  Remember the trailer wasn't so much about the weapons effects (those have been seen before) but about the Sobek and DRADIS. 

Heck a lot of that footage was taken with broken normals on firing points thanks to a PCS2 glitch that made most of the normals point toward the rear of the ship.  There is so much fire going on around the Sobek that no one on the team noticed.  If I hadn't been testing the new code it probably still wouldn't have been noticed. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fish

• Nugget
<><

Offline newman

Sabazius

The what now?

Just a name for a Bolitho class ship appearing in a mission.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
one little thing i'd like to see
arcing basestar missles, even just for nukes, make them look more epic, so the player knows what they really don't want to have to be left uf to just the flak screen.  theyy're fired up and down, go up and down a bit, then gradually turn around and hit the battlestar from above and below.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
arcing basestar missles, even just for nukes, make them look more epic, so the player knows what they really don't want to have to be left uf to just the flak screen.  theyy're fired up and down, go up and down a bit, then gradually turn around and hit the battlestar from above and below.

Like a VLS setup?

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Like a VLS setup?
exactly.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

i requested this months ago, and it was almost instantly rejected.  :(

Offline newman

Um, what? That's exactly how basestar missiles behave. They're fired from the arms, go up/down a bit, then turn towards their target.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's also how missiles in WiH behave. AKA the wonders of free flight time.