Author Topic: Feature Request: Definable Rock Sizes In Asteroids Fields  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Feature Request: Definable Rock Sizes In Asteroids Fields
I am unsure of how this would be done code-wise, but as far as the FRED interface is concerned, as there are typically 3 sizes of asteroids:  starting size, shoot it once=medium, shoot medium=small..., I see sliders similar to the RBG brightness for the background editor.  By default, the large size would have its slider all the way over at 100%, while medium and small are at zero.  As you increase or decrease one, the others adjust so that the sum total of all asteroids is always 100%.  The problem with this simple interface follows if someone were to create (via tables) an asteroid field with more stages of breakup and more interim sizes of asteroids.  A drop-down menu could be used to select which asteroid you want to adjust the percentage of.

While we're on the subject of asteroid field upgrades, I also submit that the field type which currently uses a one or the other in terms if rocks or debris, passive or active me made to not be mutually exclusive.  Replace the selector with a drop-down menu and allow many types to be included in the same field.  For example, a convoy is passing through an active field when they encounter a debris field left from a previous convoy.

This also brings up the subject of not just many types within the same field, but of multiple fields within the same mission (an old request).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Re: Feature Request: Definable Rock Sizes In Asteroids Fields
The problem with this simple interface follows if someone were to create (via tables) an asteroid field with more stages of breakup and more interim sizes of asteroids.

Let's call those sliders P1, P2, and P3, with P1 controlling the largest type and P3 the smallest. Suppose someone redefines the asteroids and now there's four sizes - we'll call those Q1 ... Q4. Q1 = .75 * P1 and Q4 = .75 * P3, Q2 = ( .25 * P1 ) + ( .5 * P2 ) and Q3 = ( .25 * P3 + .5 * P2 ). On average, each of the four types has three-fourths as much "percentage space" as each of the three types did, which makes intuitive sense. I think this generalizes but am a little bit drunk on cough syrup and also champagne.