Author Topic: Win 7 Issue...or it's just me  (Read 3727 times)

Win 7 Issue...or it's just me
If this is somewhere else, please forgive me, I couldn't find the post.  I know that 424 is win 7 compatible in both 32 bit and 64 bit.  I have set 424 to default with my Nvidia graphics card and my native resolution is 1600x900.  The .exe file is not in compatibility mode.  When I run the game .exe or the editor .exe a window pops open with MechCommanderOmnitech 424 and a black screen.  The window then closes and nothing happens.  This also occurs trying to run the editRel and the viewRel.  Is there a setting on my system I have missed?  I have windows 7 home premium 64bit with an Nvidia GTX 555M card and all drivers are up to date.  The game folder is in my default C: drive.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all.

Offline magic

Re: Win 7 Issue...or it's just me
Please download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable package (x86).

I will include this package in future releases.

Got it, and thank you, but there is a hiccup.  Is there a way to downgrade the visual c++ package?  I tried to install the download and I get an error message saying that I have a newer version than the one I am trying to download.  Anyway around this?  Thank you very much for your time.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Ma.Din

George,

Your errors are graphics related, not MCO. I am assuming you're using a laptop with dual gfx cards, correct? Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Select Manage 3D Settings and manually set MCO to use the Nvidia card. Save the settings and that should end the blank screen and graphical tears.

Long time, no see, everyone!  :lol:
"Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Thank you all for the advice.  I am still getting a window opening followed by a black screen and nothing, even setting the graphics to my Nvidia card, but I do have a question.  The folder is labeled MechCommanderOmnimech.  Should it be shortened to something?  Could the folder name or length of name be an issue?  Thanks.

Offline Ma.Din

I want to make sure I get this right:

So, you double click on the icon and all that appears, is the black load screen, before the engine jumps you to the main MCO screen, correct?

If the C++ (2010) is saying a newer version is installed, you've got .Net 4. Make sure you have the 4.5 upgrade. It will resinstall the vsdist again.

Are you running Win7 x64? Is it Ultimate, Home or Premium? There is no need, as I don't have to, but have is this in compatibility mode?
"Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

My apologies, I was not clear.  I double click on the MCOrel.exe and a window appears with a black screen.  Then the window closes and I am looking at my desk top. 

I have the .net 4.5 upgrade.  I tried to download it again and an error box popped up telling me I had same or newer version.

I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I have tried compatibility mode in Windows Xp, both different service packs with no luck. 

I am currently uninstalling and trying a fresh clean install.  Thank you very much for your help!

You may just give it more time (a few real minutes). I am not sure if MCO still contains the graphics cards check that the original code has implemented. This graphics check takes a while when loading the game first time on a PC. I had this issue with the original game several times.
Just a blank screen for a few minutes and then it starts working. I took this test out of my code.
Because you experience no crashes or error messages it is worth a try; just be extremely patient once and see if it starts up.   :wtf:

Fantastic!  I will try that!  I am gonna run it and leave it be and see what happens.  Thank you!

Offline Haelur

I too am having this issue. It opens the 640 x 480 window, it then stays there for a second and disappears. the computer will process for a minute but won't do anything else.  I too also tried the visual C++ and it said I had a newer version. Not sure what to do here.

So steps...
Fresh install into the C:// drive.
Run using the MCORel.exe
Window flashes open with MechCommanderOminimech 424 on the header
Left it alone.
Nothing, no process, nothing. 
C++ is newest version.  Not sure what the hold up is.  Thanks for the time.

Offline Haelur

So steps...
Fresh install into the C:// drive.
Run using the MCORel.exe
Window flashes open with MechCommanderOminimech 424 on the header
Left it alone.
Nothing, no process, nothing. 
C++ is newest version.  Not sure what the hold up is.  Thanks for the time.

Same exact thing.

It was worth trying, then I have no advise. :confused:

Offline magic

GeorgeTKE, Haelur,

please try the following:
Right mouse click on your Mech Commander Omnitech Desktop icon.
Click properties.

Look for:
Target: D:\MechCommanderOmnitech\MCORel.exe

add " /gosnojoystick " :
D:\MechCommanderOmnitech\MCORel.exe  /gosnojoystick

And try to launch the game...

Offline Haelur

GeorgeTKE, Haelur,

please try the following:
Right mouse click on your Mech Commander Omnitech Desktop icon.
Click properties.

Look for:
Target: D:\MechCommanderOmnitech\MCORel.exe

add " /gosnojoystick " :
D:\MechCommanderOmnitech\MCORel.exe  /gosnojoystick

And try to launch the game...

That did the trick thank you!

Yes!  It worked, thank you!  There is a little hiccup, though.  When it runs, the display is shifted to the lower right of the screen.  If I go into the options menu it displays centered in the screen, like it's supposed, but every other menu option defaults lower right of the screen.  I have tried changing resolution options, and the only graphics card that shows up in the options screen is integrated graphics card, not the NVidia card, even though I have selected the Nvidia card in the NVidia control center.  Should I default it again?  Thanks.

Oops, here is a screen cap of what I am talking about.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline magic

GeorgeTKE,

I will soon release new version of MCO with the option to force one of supported resolutions.
I had too much work in January and almost no time for MCO.

ETA: 7-8 days.

Ok no problem, no rush.  Thank you very much!  Appreciate the feedback!