Author Topic: You guuuyyyysss  (Read 12470 times)

Nobody makes any comments about targeting systems (that I can recall) in the films themselves (the closest we get is Lando's "That blast came from the Death Star! That thing's operational!").

To quoth the Mon Calamari: "Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, it does have a strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield generated from the forest moon of Endor."

I think something somewhere stated that the first Death Star probably could target enemy capital ships, but it likely wasn't very accurate.

Game developers didn't pay much attention to Star Wars canon back in the day (and this actually goes for a lot of the comics and novels). They threw anything they thought would be cool into their game (like Rebel Assault including the A-wing in pre-BoY events) and LFL/LA didn't bother to make sure they adhered to established lore. So down the road round-about explanations were devised to "fix" discrepancies (like the prototype R-22 Spearheads as the preceding "A-wings"), but using this kind of method as a solution caused everything to get convoluted and messy real quick. Now LFL & Disney have wiped the slate clean in an effort to clean up and fix the situation, only to start making the same mistakes all over again AND they're re-writing canon that would've been better off left alone.

The problem with your statement is that there was no set canon for any backstory before the prequels. It was all open to interpretation. The universe was pretty much "Hey, this ****'s happening. There's an evil GALACTIC EMPIRE, the good guys are the REBEL ALLIANCE, the JEDI are all but gone and the DARK SIDE rules, yo."

It wasn't until after the Thrawn trilogy (I think?) was released that a coherent timeline was set in motion and things started to come together.
I think you mistook my meaning. I'm specifically referring to the ships and the events within the OT era. There was a canonical explanation for what was and why from technical source books, but there was no in-depth story of how things transpired until later. That's where it all started to got messy. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and nobody at LFL setting guidelines. I believe they considered it a non-issue. At least initially. Having to backtrack and explain/re-explain things that weren't accounted for didn't help, either.

The EU stories, events and characters pre & post OT was a different mess altogether. lol
Chance favors the prepared mind.

is this using any kind of modified shader? the ISD itself looks way too good the graphics look like a modern game almost, the tie bomber tho looks pixelated... gotta up antialiasing.

kudos to whoever did that ISD the quality is superb and I can't wait to play this <3

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
is this using any kind of modified shader? the ISD itself looks way too good the graphics look like a modern game almost, the tie bomber tho looks pixelated... gotta up antialiasing.

Modified shaders, yes, but not in a way which should really affect anything in those screenshots. The pixelation comes from lack of anti-aliasing, which I didn't have on.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I'll try and get some good shots with AA turned on which will make it look much better.

The model itself of the ISD-II was made by Brand and Zookeeper himself did the texture work.  They both did a stellar job.

nice, can't wait to see the AA screenshots, also there is a weird discrepancy on the colors between the ISD and Bomber... I know they are obviously not the same color but the bomber looks a tad too "metallic"? like the render used was different or something... I can't quite get what it is... but it is a bit jarring... or maybe is just the ISD is soo high quality everything else is not up to par.

Probably the lighting. There's a lightsource illuminating only half of the ISD and the TIE bombers are fully illuminated. It would make more sense in-game where you know exactly where that lightsource is.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Excuse me, please? FOTG guys, anyone?

I'd like to answer you a question: Will a standard Star Wars opening crawl (complete with "A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away..." text and the theme song) be appearing at the beginning of the campaign in a FS2 mission (namely an introductory in-game cutscene) or a separate FMV introduced?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Excuse me, please? FOTG guys, anyone?

I'd like to answer you a question: Will a standard Star Wars opening crawl (complete with "A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away..." text and the theme song) be appearing at the beginning of the campaign in a FS2 mission (namely an introductory in-game cutscene) or a separate FMV introduced?

It'll likely be FMV, since the opening crawl would probably be a bit difficult to do in FRED... and the theme song won't be THE theme song; FOTG uses an original soundtrack IIRC.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Actually, the crawls are done in FRED :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zookeeper

Yes, there is an opening crawl and a short cutscene, both FREDded, not FMV. The soundtrack is original, but of course the one used in the intro will be reminiscient of the original theme.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yes, there is an opening crawl and a short cutscene, both FREDded, not FMV. The soundtrack is original, but of course the one used in the intro will be reminiscient of the original theme.

How do you get it to fade out? Or do you pull some perspective trickery?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline zookeeper

No, it's just a piece of shader code which affects only the logo and crawl, fading them out based on distance.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

No, it's just a piece of shader code which affects only the logo and crawl, fading them out based on distance.

After 10 years of FSO I keep forgetting you guys can do shader stuff now. :nervous:

Offline Tnadz

I keep reading tidbits like this and after all this time still be like: