Author Topic: Tie missiles  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Rolf

Something I noticed in Star Wars Battlefront is that Tie Fighters can now fire some blue homing missile, the Force Awakens seems to have something similar. I was wondering if your going to put something like that in your mod.

Also; how's progress?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:12:39 am by Rolf »

The missiles in TFA were fired from the Star Destroyer, weren't they? Fighter combat in the original trilogy never had guided missiles (because there weren't any in Dambusters) and I assume that's what FotG is using as a reference.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
No, all of them only have lasers, except the TIE Bomber of course. If there's a need for missiles as a specialty in some missions (for the TIE Advanced, for example) then it'll be trivial enough to add such a variant at that point, but so far we haven't.

How are you doing bombs, by the way? I remember in Rogue Squadron you dropped them on stuff and it was great fun, but seeing as FotG is in open space that doesn't seem like an option.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dain

I think the fights in Battlefront are really very very different from the fights seen in the movies. I mean, we don't see grenades, personal shields, rocket launchers or anything of that kind in the films.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
How are you doing bombs, by the way? I remember in Rogue Squadron you dropped them on stuff and it was great fun, but seeing as FotG is in open space that doesn't seem like an option.

Yeah, bombs are fired forward just like other secondaries on all ships except the TIE Bomber, which does actually have the downwards-facing bomb chute and a special targeting view for it. You're unlikely to hit even medium-sized targets with it if they're actually moving, so it's mostly limited to bombing large capital ships or stationary targets.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The missiles in TFA were fired from the Star Destroyer, weren't they?

Poe actually quotes the controls for guns, missiles, and bombs in the TIE they steal.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
No, all of them only have lasers, except the TIE Bomber of course. If there's a need for missiles as a specialty in some missions (for the TIE Advanced, for example) then it'll be trivial enough to add such a variant at that point, but so far we haven't.

If necessary you can probably add them as temporary external racks rather than a specific TIE variant.  It would be easy for Sienar to put together some aftermarket bolt on hard points but the Empire being to stingy and inflexible to make regular use of them.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That TIE they stole was a spec-ops variant, too. The regular ones don't get all this fancy equipment. The Empire always had dedicated TIE Bombers on standby for that, but the First Order, being much poorer, probably uses regular TIE models in the same role.

Since SW space combat is WWII-ish, it's probably analogous to how you could strap a pair of small bombs under the wings of most WWII fighters. A pair of small missiles, rockets pods, bombs or something like that can probably be bolted on under the "struts" if the need arises, but they would interfere with maneuverability (and add drag in atmo) before they are dropped, possibly to the point of forcing the pilots to jettison them if they get jumped on their way to target. We have no way of simulating this in FS2 (which is a shame), but it would certainly be a nice feature.

Yeah, that version of the TIE Fighter in Episode VII was a special forces variant, the TIE/SF. The standard TIE/FO models didn't have any of the additional weapon systems or a hyperdrive like the TIE/SFs were equipped with.

Regarding FotG, I'd prefer missiles and bombs were kept with the ships that were equipped to carry them as standard loadouts (like the TIE Bomber).

I didn't like how DICE deviated after all their talk about authenticity. Sometimes there are better ways to balance gameplay without needlessly sacrificing lore accuracy. That was one. Oh, well. It's miles better than Pandemic's original two. lol
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
The best Battlefront game was always Galactic Conquest ;)

The best Battlefront game was always Galactic Conquest ;)
*cough*First Strike*cough* ;7

I did enjoy Galactic Conquest a lot, though. :nod:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Flare

• Steam
The missiles in TFA were fired from the Star Destroyer, weren't they?

Poe actually quotes the controls for guns, missiles, and bombs in the TIE they steal.

He actually says "Use the toggle on the left to switch between missiles, cannons, and mag pulse"

Sauce - official script.

Don't remember ever seeing the missiles being fired, let alone any indication they were guided.

Don't remember ever seeing the missiles being fired, let alone any indication they were guided.

If they were unguided I'm pretty sure they would call them Mag-Rockets not Mag-Missiles.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think you're giving movie makers too much credit for the correct use of language :p
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

:D I might or I might not. Who knows.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, that was "Mag Pulse". Missiles were mentioned separately. While "Mag Pulse" was also a missile in most Legends material (thanks to X-Wing games), this here could be something completely different. I've got no idea what, but it's got its own firemode, so it can presumably be carried alongside missiles. 

TBH, I think they were guided. All SW missiles we've seen were. Granted, that doesn't amount to much, but that's what has been shown so far.

Yeah my bad, I guess I got confused with this material I was reading about the fighter itself. My brain just took it and ran. :p

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
TBH, I think they were guided. All SW missiles we've seen were. Granted, that doesn't amount to much, but that's what has been shown so far.

Were the proton torpedoes fired by Luke/Red Leader guided? From what I recall of watching those scenes they seemed to be running straight.. well, apart from the right angle turn that Luke's torpedoes executed to enter the exhaust port I suppose :p Anyway, I'm more sure that Lando/Wedge firing at the DS2 reactor had only straight running missiles/rockets.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...