Author Topic: Did you ever notice this about Bespin...  (Read 2437 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Did you ever notice this about Bespin...
In hindsight it looks obvious, but for some reason for most of my life I never looked closely enough at the Luke and Vader scenes to really understand how the architectural layout is supposed to work. I assumed that the big wing-like structure Luke eventually ends up at is just something he must have landed on after getting blown out the window earlier.

However, if you look closely at the scene where Luke goes back inside, you'll see that the window he was blown out of was right there 2 meters above him! Meaning that he didn't just manage to grab a railing after a long fall, it means that when Vader steps up to look out the window, he's literally almost within an arm's reach. And this also means that the whole encounter must have taken place within that wing-like structure, which means the freezing chamber must be the spherical thing in the upper part of it (although it looks like it's too small to contain it). Which means that after getting separated from R2 by the door, Luke must have walked through a pretty long tunnel (at least 50m, I'd say) to get there, even though on-screen it happens instantaneously.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: Did you ever notice this about Bespin...
All I can see is the greenscreen frame around Luke and his missing shins.  :P

Also the big color-corrected square in the right side of the frame.

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline zookeeper

Umm... those are my doing.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Aaaaaaand, upon re-reading, I realise how stupid my comment was. Never mind!~

I will admit I hadn't noticed it; then again, the last time I saw the original trilogy films, I was at a young and tender age that did not encourage this sort of awesome distillation of each frame.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Umm... those are my doing.

Have you been helping out Adywan or something?

Offline zookeeper

Have you been helping out Adywan or something?

Indeed! In addition to Vader peeking out the window like a dummy in ESB:R, on Dagobah you can also very briefly see the mists reveal Jar-Jar right before he gets crushed by Luke's hapless landing.

Here's a teaser:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Finally!

George does a retcon right!

:p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
no, I haven't noticed this before, and yes, I love your work :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...