Author Topic: MediaVPs Differences from the Original  (Read 2469 times)

MediaVPs Differences from the Original
Hello everyone this is the first time I am posting here.

I want to know something with regards to the MediaVPs, specifically the backdrops in the missions. One of the first things I noticed was that the colors and locations of some of the backdrops are completely different from the original unmodified version. For example, A Lion at the Door in vanilla has greenish nebula backdrops whereas in MediaVPs they are a deep purple colour. Is there any specific reason for this?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: MediaVPs Differences from the Original
IIRC, and admittedly it was probably 10 years ago when I put them together the original missions are not necessarily consistent amongst themselves within a given star system, nor are the original backgrounds consistent with those in the cutscene videos.  For instance, Capella has all sorts of nebulae in the original missions but there are none whatever in the cutscenes.  I took what derelict had used, and then tried to match each system up as best as possible with the cutscenes and other released upgraded missions at the time.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

So what you're saying is that the backdrops in the MediaVPs look the way they do because of consistency? I understand, but it does sacrifice visual variety.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Perhaps, but the idea at the time was that one could know in which star system one was by its background across FS1, FS2 and some other prominent campaigns.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I admit I kinda miss the more colorful retail skies.

Offline -Norbert-

Which is kind of ironic coming from a person heavily involved in BP:WIH.  :lol:

Just kidding, I know you guys made the backgrounds there based on reality and not spectacle.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I like it more the way it is now :)

Every system has it own look and feel, which feel much more correct for me.

For visual variety you have to play campaigns that takes place in several systems. Freespace: The Great War is a good example for that. That takes place in many different systems.

It would feel totally wrong if you have an earth based game where the same city looks totally different in several missions. Or in space games that takes place entirely in Sol it would be feel totally wrong if you would see Nebulas at all.. especially if they would change in every mission.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.